Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do tanning pills work?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

why do people do this to themselves, whats wrong with being white ? it takes a lack of brain cells to go to tanning beds / take pills like this

Yeah, WHITE POWER!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Irish are supposed to be pale, pasty, white, whatever you wanna call it. It's part of our charm, the milk bottle tan!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

You don't need to go away either if you're that determined to get a tan. Just go to the beach on one of the 3 nice days we get during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Courageous Rabbit

A pill that changes the colour of your skin. There's something very unsettling about that sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

A pill that changes the colour of your skin. There's something very unsettling about that sentence.

That's also ordered over the Internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

So you'll be a ginger with a tan?
    Not a ginger. The reason I can't tan on my face is that I used a skin bleaching (lightening) cream on it 4 yrs ago and I'm trying to reverse it as I looked better with a tan. I tried months of suntanning but I burned instead of tanning. Before then my skin would alternate through periods of pallour/tanning.

I know someone on this thread mentioned Melanotan II but you have to have active melanocytes (melanin/tan producing skin cells) for that to work. So I'm going to a dermatologist this month to see if they can give me a biopsy to tell if my skin is still capable of tanning on my face. If as I expect it can't then I may need the tablets. Has anyone here used MyTan Bronze tablets specifically or know anyone who did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Nope I'm male. I'm not able to tan naturally.

so you would rather join the ranks of the umpalumpas than just not have a tan :confused:

and its NOVEMBER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Yes the tanning pills work but it can effect only some parts of the body.

I.E your face could turn orange nd the rest would stay the same

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

Seriously stop, stop it right now. Tanning is the skins defence to increased exposure to sunlight. No pill in the world can give you a tan!

To answers your question: Do tanning pills work? ...No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

GodlikeRed wrote: »
    Seriously stop, stop it right now. Tanning is the skins defence to increased exposure to sunlight. No pill in the world can give you a tan!

To answers your question: Do tanning pills work? ...No

Yes Tanning Pills work remember tht kid who turned orange after drinking sun D ??? well Sunny D had CANTHAXANTHIN in it same with Tanning Pills

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canthaxanthin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Cork24 wrote: »
    well Sunny D had CANTHAXANTHIN in it same with Tanning Pills

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canthaxanthin
    Wrong SunnyD had Beta Carotene. I'm trying t avoid Canthaxantin because of the eye/liver problems it can cause.
    GodlikeRed wrote:
    No pill in the world can give you a tan!
    It's the appearance of a tan I'm more concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Hey OP, I have a couple of friends who took these for a while to get ready for a wedding, Ill get a picture and post it up if I can

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Here you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

what you need is to find someone with the reverse of micahel jacksons disease - and suck on their toes .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The last shades of my (real ) holiday tan are ebbing away

(Adopts shakespearean accent... puts hand over brow) .

''Life is so unfair '' (sigh )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Forget bout dat, does the bleaching agents work.. I case I accidently get a tan. You gingers have t easy

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Forget bout dat, does the bleaching agents work.. I case I accidently get a tan. You gingers have t easy
    It turned me pink with an occasional white hue. It's called Meladerm. Avoid. It's been 4 yrs and it still hasn't gone back to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I'd think you'd wanna be the following to take them:

1, A retard. If these pills can make you tanned what side effects will they cause. We are talking about altering skin tone here.
    2, A total vain idiot. Look we all know a tan makes someone better looking. It can be questionable about a person going to a tanning salon twice a week. Every week. Come rain or shine. Just to look better. But people know the risks of tanning machines (skin cancer) So its their own deal. But to be so vain and buy pills to make you tanned? :rolleyes:

I mean what next?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I have ordered MyTan Bronze from this website. Has anyone tried it and does it work? It says it has beta-carotene and not canthanxantin, which was important for me because I've heard the latter can cause crystals to appear in your eyes (canthaxantin retinopathy) but that Beta Carotene is safe.

The company that makes MyTan Bronze says they are called BLife and lists and Irish address and contact details on their website. Is this a legitimate company?

I know some will say I should try fake tan but I have combination skin on my face so it ends up blotchy, muddy and flakey. I'd like to hear whether you or a friend tried tanning pills, whether they worked, and what the name of the pills was if you have it so I will know which to avoid and which might work.

You could just make do with the skin god allah buddha gave you you were pulled out of the womb in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Not sure After Hours is the best choice of forum for a first world problem.

sdeire wrote: »
    You could just make do with the skin god allah buddha gave you you were pulled out of the womb in.
    I don't have that any more because of the skin bleaching cream I used 4 yrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Hi OP, I personally woudnt go near tanning pills:( have you seen the programme embarrassing illnesses? Well anyway there was a girl in it who used pills like the ones you mentioned and it caused her to tan unevenly like blotchy skin.. It looked terrible and there was some link to possible liver disease and other symptoms from using these pills:(

It's totally your choice op, I wish I had a healthy glow too but stupid lack of sunshine in Ireland dosent help! I just get my tan out of a bottle lol!
    Just be careful about the tabs op you cud end up with a worse problem than looking a little pasty:(

Amzie wrote: »
    Hi OP, I personally woudnt go near tanning pills:( have you seen the programme embarrassing illnesses? Well anyway there was a girl in it who used pills like the ones you mentioned and it caused her to tan unevenly like blotchy skin.. It looked terrible and there was some link to possible liver disease and other symptoms from using these pills:(

It's totally your choice op, I wish I had a healthy glow too but stupid lack of sunshine in Ireland dosent help! I just get my tan out of a bottle lol!
    Just be careful about the tabs op you cud end up with a worse problem than looking a little pasty:(
    Thanks for advice Amzie but she was probably using the canthanxantin tablets which I am trying to avoid. I'm interested in the Beta Carotene tablets. Canthanaxantin can cause jaundice and damaged eyesight but studies have shown that beta carotene doesn't seem to cause this retinopathy. I know there's one study suggesting it can harm smokers but I haven't smoked in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I have ordered MyTan Bronze from a website.
    I used a skin bleaching (lightening) cream on it
    Nope I'm male. I'm not able to tan naturally.

Surely a troll? Or a shill?

If this is true and you already self medicated to lighten your skin and ****ed it up then maybe you should have learned your lesson and not tried another "miracle" cure from the internet? Go talk to a bloody dermatologist do not take beta carotene it WILL TURN YOUR SKIN ORANGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

You are either a troll OP, or well on your way to becoming Michael Jackson.

If you are serious about this however, you would be better off just waiting to see the dermatologist and explaining the issue to them.

And in the mean time, I would hold off in case you do yourself even more damage.

I am not a troll I am genuine. As it happens I have an appointment with a dermatologist in a couple of days. I doubt they will be able to help me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I am not a troll I am genuine. As it happens I have an appointment with a dermatologist in a couple of days. I doubt they will be able to help me though.
    They'll be be more use than some pills you bought from a random shop on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The reason I can't tan on my face is that I used a skin bleaching (lightening) cream on it 4 yrs ago and I'm trying to reverse it as I looked better with a tan.
    Do you not think doing more messing with weird skin products could make things worse again? Much, much worse.
    I am not a troll I'm a real boy.
    Maybe won't look like that for long if you keep going the way your going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I have ordered MyTan Bronze from this website. Has anyone tried it and does it work? It says it has beta-carotene and not canthanxantin, which was important for me because I've heard the latter can cause crystals to appear in your eyes (canthaxantin retinopathy) but that Beta Carotene is safe.

The company that makes MyTan Bronze says they are called BLife and lists and Irish address and contact details on their website. Is this a legitimate company?

I know some will say I should try fake tan but I have combination skin on my face so it ends up blotchy, muddy and flakey. I'd like to hear whether you or a friend tried tanning pills, whether they worked, and what the name of the pills was if you have it so I will know which to avoid and which might work.

I worked in chartbusters and we used to sell tanning tablets, all they do is make you go orange. It used to be so funny when people came in and say what do you think of my tan and then me trying to keep a straight face as you told them they looked good! Dont do it. If you want a tan, do a sunbed.

Advertisement