Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help with accident claim

Options
  • 10-10-2013 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

My wife barely bumped into a car other day, very minimal damage if any...

Basically guy rings her back and first said 900.. Seriously at most there were two scratches that personally I think would be rebuffed.

Since found out the guy has been onto his cousin who gave 900 quote.

Said not paying 900.

I have 4 other quotes for 225, 300, and 320

He also got a seperate quote for cash for 300.

He wants to take up the 300 cash job.
    However I want a receipt so would prefer to deal with company I got quote from.

What's the legality of this, if we can't agree on where to get damage fixed.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

savic04 wrote: »

Basically guy rings her back and first said 900.. Seriously at most there were two scratches that personally I think would be rebuffed.

Said not paying 900.

Have you reported this to your insurance?

That aside, your excess won't cover a 300 claim so I'd just pay up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Said not paying 900.

Your wife should not have crashed into their car.

It sucks but she's liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

Stheno wrote: »
    Have you reported this to your insurance?

That aside, your excess won't cover a 300 claim so I'd just pay up

Yeah, not going tru insurance.

Was hoping to get car fixed myself.. To be honest I don't trust that paying him 300 that he will even get car fixed, as the pictures show here very little

I want proof of payment that he won't come back or proof that he got car done

The Dagda wrote: »
    Your wife should not have crashed into their car.

It sucks but she's liable.

Obviously she is liable .

Point being, I want proof car has been worked on, not meeting him to give him 300, when I can get car done via 2 reputable repair garages for same money. Bare in mind, his so called 900 quote , until he knew I could trace they were related...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let insurance handle it and repay them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Doesn't matter - his car, his choice. Jump on the 300 i'd say. Fuc it if he doesn't get it fixed, he is still down that value on his car. Pay up and forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Obviously she is liable .

Point being, I want proof car has been worked on, not meeting him to give him 300, when I can get car done via 2 reputable repair garages for same money. Bare in mind, his so called 900 quote , until he knew I could trace they were related...

Bottom line. It's their choice where they get their car fixed.

biko wrote: »
    Let insurance handle it and repay them?

Maybe il ring them to check

The Dagda wrote: »
    Bottom line. It's their choice where they get their car fixed.

That's what i wondered about.

If we can't agree, il let insurance handle it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah, not going tru insurance.

Was hoping to get car fixed myself.. To be honest I don't trust that paying him 300 that he will even get car fixed, as the pictures show here very little

I want proof of payment that he won't come back or proof that he got car done

Get proof of payment from the garage?
    I'd a minor prang a few years ago that cost €175 to repair so I paid it and iw was fine.

Seriously I think you are either a. overthinking this or b. being a bit mean.

You've been hit with a small claim and no whiplash etc nonsense, take the easy way out and pay the compensation. Ask for receipts.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Get proof of payment from the garage?
    I'd a minor prang a few years ago that cost €175 to repair so I paid it and iw was fine.

Seriously I think you are either a. overthinking this or b. being a bit mean.

You've been hit with a small claim and no whiplash etc nonsense, take the easy way out and pay the compensation. Ask for receipts.

A bit mean! No chance .. Car rolled into their car.. Couldn't see any damage, all of a sudden he calls saying 900.. Then when we got quotes, got down ton225-300

Def being had, but as I said all I want is proof of work done that it won't come back further down the road.

Was at a traffic light.. Car wasn't even going 3km an hour I'd say!!

A bit mean! No chance .. Car rolled into their car.. Couldn't see any damage, all of a sudden he calls saying 900.. Then when we got quotes, got down ton225-300

Def being had, but as I said all I want is proof of work done that it won't come back further down the road.

Was at a traffic light.. Car wasn't even going 3km an hour I'd say!!

Your car rolled into theirs, there is cosmetic damage and crumple zone damage, if they are settling for three hundred, and I was you, I'd be thanking my lucky stars.

Pay it full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Pay the 300 and get him to sign a note saying that its full and final settlement for this accident. If he pockets the 300 so be it, your done with it and it'll be him that eventually has to pay to get his car fixed! If he decides to claim for whiplash your talking a fee grand, plus if you didn't inform your insurance company they might not pay out for any of it. I know cos I'm battling with an insurance co. who are doing everything in their power to not pay....

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Seeing as he was prepared to screw you for 900 for a 300 job, tell him to go take a flying f**k. You would have sorted it out but seeing as he wanted to rob you blind .......................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Surely if you go to your insurance company its going to cost you more than 300?
    Whats your excess, do you have bonus protection?

To be honest, seeing the random increases in premiums i've lost confidence in bonus protection so I wouldn't risk it for 300 euro.

Advertisement