Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney to Listowel - commutable on daily basis?

Options
  • 18-11-2012 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey everybody - just looking for opinions on title. I know everyones tolerance level for commuting is different.

I have a chance for a job in Listowel with my husband working in Tralee (not starting till after Xmas) - ideally we would like to live in Killarney but we are a bit worried about the length of the commute. It would be done Mon - Fri.

Any people doing that specific commute? major bottlenecks? Google maps throws up 50km distance and a time of 1 hr which seems excessive!:confused: also - i understand the new Tralee bypass will open up soon - could that make a significant difference to the journey?

Thank you!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Tralee would definitely be the bottleneck. The bypass will help a lot but its hard to know by how much until it actually opens. I would reckon the best you will do will be 50 minutes -- depends a lot on the time of day -- if you hit Tralee between 8.30 and 9 the school traffic is horrendous but clears quickly. Not sure what Listowel is like at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Ok, know the roads very well through work.
    Depends where in Killarney and Listowel you will be commuting to as it could be +/- 10 mins on your journey.
    Tralee-Killarney 25-30 mins ( all going very well) Tralee-Listowel 25 mins~
    Bottleneck is at mile height in Tralee (Ballygarry) which at the moment yiu need til the bypass open. You can turn right at Ballyseede but its a dose of a road.
    Listowel at rush hour is so slow....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Angelina70372

Hey lads - thanks for the info. It's at Kerry Group in Listowel which I understand is on the Tralee side of the town anyway so that would mean no need to drive through Listowel.

Hoping to base ourselves on the "Tralee" side of Killarney.
    Guess if the bypass made a big difference it would be doable in 40-45mins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Guess if the bypass made a big difference it would be doable in 40-45mins?

Mmmmmm ... twill be pushing it... but it can be done ;)

Yes, Kerry Group is on the N69 on the Tralee side so you'd avoid any congestion in Listowel itself.

I don't know if it's any help to you, but my brother takes an alternative route when going to Killarney from Listowel. He branches off the N69 at the Six Crosses and heads towards Lyrecrompane. From there you end up on the N21 near Castleisland, therefore bypassing Tralee. I don't think it's a great road though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Used to be a railway option in the past, but that is now the "Southern Trail" and permanently useless for commuting.

As far as Killarney goes, the old station needs to be relocated onto the loop; that would help to speed up existing railway services

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I feel the problem with this is you don't want to be late for work and I know from experience that you can't be behind the wheel hoping that things beyond your control don't go against you. What time does you husband have to be in work? That's a key thing in this.

I used to hate that route, mainly the Tralee section . If your traveling very early in morning then your not going to have much problems with traffic . Coming home might be a different story!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Hey everybody - just looking for opinions on title. I know everyones tolerance level for commuting is different.

I have a chance for a job in Listowel with my husband working in Tralee (not starting till after Xmas) - ideally we would like to live in Killarney but we are a bit worried about the length of the commute. It would be done Mon - Fri.

Any people doing that specific commute? major bottlenecks? Google maps throws up 50km distance and a time of 1 hr which seems excessive!:confused: also - i understand the new Tralee bypass will open up soon - could that make a significant difference to the journey?

Thank you!:)

Why not just live in Tralee or Listowel? It seems like you're not in Killarney yet so why not make life easier on yourselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It will drive you absolutely insane, I was commuting to Tralee recently and I had to give it up as it was an absolute head wrecker. Killarney to Farranfore you can expect an average of 60km/h with only two proper overtaking opportunities in between. That piece of road is a total disgrace and so are the drivers who think it is fine to drive at 60km/h

From my house to Tralee I was averaging 55mins in the morning (arriving before 8am) and 1hr 30 in the evenings. There is savage traffic around the town and it is not a sort of road I could tolerate. Then you have two speed camera vans along the Killarney to Farranfore road so if you get a good run you are likely to be caught speeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I too find issue with drivers doing 60 kph in rural roads where there is probably an 80kph or 100 kph limit but I find it very common in Meath, Kildare and other rural parts of the Greater Leinster area. Champion drivers are the Offaly lads who manage 100 to 110 on some of their roads around Tullamore and the bumpy nature of bog roads doesnt seem to upset them.

Worst offenders in my view are some drivers in Wicklow who drive like as if there is frost on the road all year round........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Whatever way you look at it the journey will take about one hour each way.

That is 10 hours every week!!

When I was in my twenties I did a similar commute. After 18 months I found it too much.

If you located in Tralee or Listowel then maybe one could share the driving (and the expense of travelling).

Even with the new electric cars daily commuting is Expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Angelina70372

Thanks for all the replies!

Have not decided anything yet, and it's not even 100% that I will need to go to Listowel.

Having read the posts even doing Killarney to Tralee is a massive pain in the butt!

The plan now is Tralee if Listowel is involved, if not then Killarney and commute to Tralee....we just prefer Killarney as a place to live, simple as that really. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Can I just add a few more to the pot, firies or , killorglin , their both nice places and completly between both places , especially firies .

Advertisement