Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Busáras - Not Up To Acceptable Standards

• 15-11-2012 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Isn't it time that something was done about Busarus. This is supposed to be be the main long distance bus terminus for Dublin but it is a disgrace to the City - shabby (not refurbished for decades) uncomfortable and far far too small for the volume of long distance buses it is expected to handle. As long distance bus transport has increased substantially in recent years, most of these buses no longer leave from Busarus but from various ad-hoc points around the city such as Burgh Quay and Mountjoy Square which have no terminal building with facilities for passengers such as toilets, ticket offices etc.

I vaguely recall that there was a plan one time to build a new bus station for which CIE had accumulated a large land bank in or near the area now occupied by Temple Bar. This presumably was abandoned at some point but no alternative provided.

The present Busarus building was an award-winning one in its day and is generally considered to be of architectural merit but it does not have much functional merit, apart from its location - being near trams and some trains though perhaps not really all that near the very centre of the city.

Does anyone know if CIE/Bus Eireann have any contemporary plans to improve or replace Busarus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Havnt been in it in a good while but remember it being a bit of a dump alright. With CIE's current financial situation, I would imagine there is absolutely zero chance of it being replaced, or even refurbished, for a long, long time.

I think Busarus is quite centrally located. Short of plonking it right down in the middle of O'Connell Street, I don't see how it could be made more central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The interior of Busáras has been 'improved' relatively recently but is still no great shakes as a bus terminal. Architecturally it's a non entity, designed by Michael Scott, a mate of Charlie Haughey, and was never fit for purpose. It's an office block with a bus terminal stuck in as an afterthought and how nobody has been killed boarding or leaving buses is beyond me - or perhaps they have and I didn't hear about it. There's no money for a new bus terminal so suck it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Ernest wrote: »
    Isn't it time that something was done about Busarus. This is supposed to be be the main long distance bus terminus for Dublin but it is a disgrace to the City - shabby (not refurbished for decades) uncomfortable and far far too small for the volume of long distance buses it is expected to handle. As long distance bus transport has increased substantially in recent years, most of these buses no longer leave from Busarus but from various ad-hoc points around the city such as Burgh Quay and Mountjoy Square which have no terminal building with facilities for passengers such as toilets, ticket offices etc.

I vaguely recall that there was a plan one time to build a new bus station for which CIE had accumulated a large land bank in or near the area now occupied by Temple Bar. This presumably was abandoned at some point but no alternative provided.

The present Busarus building was an award-winning one in its day and is generally considered to be of architectural merit but it does not have much functional merit, apart from its location - being near trams and some trains though perhaps not really all that near the very centre of the city.

Does anyone know if CIE/Bus Eireann have any contemporary plans to improve or replace Busarus?

Busaras has been refurbished with new seating, information desk and departure boards in recent years.

As for your contention that long distance services are no longer serving Busaras, you are incorrect. All of the services that depart from locations other than Busaras are much shorter commuter services, and not Expressway services, so the need for facilities is not that great.

None of them go from either of the points you listed, but rather Connolly LUAS stop, George's Quay, Custom House Quay, Beresford Place and Talbot Street, all of which are a short walk from Busaras if people need to go there.

The reason they have had to move is to fit all of the Expressway services into Busaras, so that those that need the facilities can use them.

As for more work being done on Busaras - I seriously doubt it given the rather perilous financial situation faced by CIE at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ernest wrote: »
    This is supposed to be be the main long distance bus terminus for Dublin
    All of those "long distance" buses leaving Dublin also depart from much more inferior stations when returning to Dublin. It works both ways. I'd have Busaras anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Can't fault it on location, convenient to both the shopping/city centre district and the IFSC/Docklands areas. As pointed out the Commuter services termini are relatively close (within walking distance), as is the Luas and DART/Heavy rail services.

But if there is one thing I could fault it on it's the toilets (the gents anyway). Some of the cubicles have been in a state of disrepair for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Niles wrote: »
    Can't fault it on location, convenient to both the shopping/city centre district and the IFSC/Docklands areas. As pointed out the Commuter services termini are relatively close (within walking distance), as is the Luas and DART/Heavy rail services.

But if there is one thing I could fault it on it's the toilets (the gents anyway). Some of the cubicles have been in a state of disrepair for years.

Toilets are disgusting and the terminal itself is full of flying rats, their feathers and droppings,

If I am getting the bus, I liker to get their shortly before it departs so I don't have to hang about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

lxflyer wrote: »

Busaras has been refurbished with new seating, information desk and departure boards in recent years.
    The seating has not been refurbished in years. It is awful and some of the rows of seats are broken off from the base.

The information desk was closed up completely recently and is now used solely by staff.

As with the seating the departure board is years old but does function quite well as long as staff are there to program it or load the schedules onto it.

The building is generally dirty and dilapidated and the main entrance doorway is a disrace as are the toilets which are downstairs are a health hazard and a favourite spot for addicts to take their drugs or have a wash etc.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The seating has not been refurbished in years
    They replaced the old wooden seating a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Did they? The seating that's there now is years old and wooden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's always been a ****hole and that won't change, primarily due to the location and the clientèle that hang out there as a result.

High time O'Connell st was closed to traffic and used as a full scale terminus for both DB and BE routes, more central, more scope for connections, more space but that's not going to happen unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The Connolly Station (car park etc area) redevelopment plan -- which isn't likely any time soon -- could be adapted to include a large bus station at ground level. The site is very large in ground floor area. It could be made with good access to the Port Tunnel, the quays etc. But it would only work if transport was made central to the redevelopment of transport sites!

Story from last year on the Connolly site plans: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cie-pulls-out-all-the-stops-with-massive-connolly-development-2678714.html

It's always been a ****hole and that won't change, primarily due to the location and the clientèle that hang out there as a result.

Some undesirables tent to be attracted to bus stations around the world -- like the city centre's problems with drunks, beggars and druggies -- it all can depend on how it's handled. Sadly badly is the answer mostly for Dublin's northside.

It's high time O'Connell st was closed to traffic and used as a full scale terminus for both DB and BE routes, more central, more scope for connections, more space but that's not going to happen unfortunately.

There's really not the space, it's alreadly too congested with buses and will be worse when Luas arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i would love to see it closed to buses, turned into an underground terminal with a link to a new bus depot on the outskirts near teh M50. that in turn would reduce traffic and waiting times in the city centre

will never happen and im now open to the inevitable slagging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The interior of Busáras has been 'improved' relatively recently but is still no great shakes as a bus terminal. Architecturally it's a non entity, designed by Michael Scott, a mate of Charlie Haughey, and was never fit for purpose. It's an office block with a bus terminal stuck in as an afterthought and how nobody has been killed boarding or leaving buses is beyond me - or perhaps they have and I didn't hear about it. There's no money for a new bus terminal so suck it up.

I agree with you regarding the maintenance and safety issues but in fairness to CJ and Michael Scott the building was opened in the fifties long before Haughey came to power and won an architectural award at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Not defending the place, as I think in many respects it's a mess, but the amount of inaccurate nonsense being spouted here is really quite something. I really don't understand how people's memories can be so short.

Busaras was refurbished six (at most seven) years ago. The floor was replaced, the seating was replaced, the mosaic tiling was cleaned up and lots of new lighting was installed, along with the construction of a new information desk and installation of new departure boards. The refurbishment was not exhaustive though, and there is plenty about the place that looks run down.

As has been mentioned, the toilets have got to be the worst part. IIRC the stainless steel cubicles etc. predate the refurb by a couple of years. They were never cleaned properly, the place has been stinking for as long as I can remember, and most of the fittings are now falling apart. It's grim.
    ...the departure board is years old but does function quite well as long as staff are there to program it or load the schedules onto it.
    Once again, foggy, your inability to understand what's important astounds me. The seating is indeed years old, seven, to be precise, which seems a perfectly acceptable seat age to me. I'm not entirely clear on why it being made of wood is an issue.

On the other hand, one of the major problems with Busaras is something which you seem to think is fine. The departure boards don't work properly, and never have. They're on a timer, so they'll say that a bus is boarding at x minutes before the scheduled departure time and that it's departed at y minutes after. This almost never reflects what's actually going on with a service, and delayed buses that haven't even arrived at the terminal are regularly shown as having departed. I'm really not exaggerating when I say that I see people getting confused by this every single time I'm in Busaras.

Unlike you, foggy, I'm not someone who constantly criticises CIÉ for every error, minor or imagined. But information provision, one of the most fundamental aspects of running public transport services, is an area where bashing CIÉ is most definitely fair game. The departure board in Busaras, and the fact that it's basically useless and has been for years, is the perfect example of CIÉ's couldn't-be-arsed mentality towards public transport information.

The closure of the information desk is another indicator of the importance Bus Éireann places on keeping its customers well informed about its services. During the time that it was open, most of the staff who worked on it were incredibly rude. By contrast, the staff who work on the floor are (for the most part) quite friendly and easy to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

They just need to get the toilets sorted. They are the vilest, most disgusting places on earth. I always said if I won the lotto I would pay for the refurb of the toilets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

The seating has not been refurbished in years. It is awful and some of the rows of seats are broken off from the base.

The information desk was closed up completely recently and is now used solely by staff.

As with the seating the departure board is years old but does function quite well as long as staff are there to program it or load the schedules onto it.

The building is generally dirty and dilapidated and the main entrance doorway is a disrace as are the toilets which are downstairs are a health hazard and a favourite spot for addicts to take their drugs or have a wash etc.

For once foggy I'm going to agree completely with you.. except the seating was "upgraded" a few years ago, although I think there are less of them now.

But on the subject of bus stations, lets not forget about Galway station.. now there's backwards setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Busaras should be handed over to Dublin City Council. BE, Aircoach and others can bid for slots with penalties for hogging the bays, with total revenue generally weighted to cost-recovery commensurate with keeping the place in good nick and some judicious passenger comfort upgrades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

High time O'Connell st was closed to traffic and used as a full scale terminus for both DB and BE routes, more central, more scope for connections, more space but that's not going to happen unfortunately.
    They did that back in the tram days, without having to close the street. Remember that there used to be no centre median. The centre of the street could work. But then again, this is the same O'Connell Street that got cut down from eight lanes to four for no reason as well...

And enough of streets being closed to traffic; it is hell. I recall when North Earl Street and Grafton Street were both open to traffic, and frankly, I preferred them that way—especially when you had to use the 20/A/B from Beaumont into town and you got diverted up to Cathal Brugha Street via Lower Gardiner Street and Sean MacDermott Street (and originally, they tried running via Buckingham Street onto Sean MacDermott, but there must've been complaints about not stopping on Talbot Street). Close O'Connell Street off and imagine the mayhem coming off O'Connell Bridge and Westmoreland Street trying to all jam onto Eden Quay? (I'd even like to see Henry Street reopened to traffic; we could run the 83 up that way onto Church Street.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sadly the area is overrun by smackheads and we can't blame CIE for that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Architecturally it's a non entity
    I could think of other words. There should be a law against this kind of architects.
    elperello wrote: »
    […]and won an architectural award at the time.
    HA!
    It must be good then. Not at all the puke-inducing piece of concrete and steel I thought it was.
    (EDIT: not having a go at you btw elperello)
    Niles wrote: »
    If only there were professional companies they could hire to clean up the place.
    If the excuse is that CIE have no money, then I guess the place must have been very clean pre-2006, right?
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Sadly the area is overrun by smackheads and we can't blame CIE for that.
    When junkies started camping outside my door I called the Guards every single time, and guess what, junkies stopped loitering. Who would have thunk.
    So if CIE could be arsed doing something about it, things would change.

• Advertisement

The seating has not been refurbished in years
    Here's a picture showing the old seating. That seating was not there the last time I visited.

Busaras.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Oink wrote: »
    When junkies started camping outside my door I called the Guards every single time, and guess what, junkies stopped loitering. Who would have thunk.
    So if CIE could be arsed doing something about it, things would change.

With respect, the guards do not need to be called. They can clearly see the problem every time they step outside Store Street Garda Station.

To start blaming Bus Eireann for this is really stretching things a bit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

lxflyer wrote: »
    With respect, the guards do not need to be called. They can clearly see the problem every time they step outside Store Street Garda Station.

To start blaming Bus Eireann for this is really stretching things a bit.

I get your point, but if Bus Eireann aren't bothered complaining, the Guards won't bother moving the junkies along.

It would only take one person in CIE who is bothered calling the Guards every time for a few weeks and then things will start happening. It worked for me, and it didn't take years to get it done.

CIE should be doing this on behalf of their customers. The same way they should be keeping the toilets clean.

The toilets were always kept well when they had an attendant there full time.

I used to like the manned left luggage facility also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

€1.7m was spent on refurbishing BusAras a few years ago - details here:

http://www.collen.com/Conservation/Bus_Aras_Refurbishment.aspx

I do remember that at the time, the original refurbishment plans had to be scaled back following complaints/lobbying from the architectural heritage contingent.

I seem to recall there was even a thread on Archiseek at the time where people were mooting that it was far too valuable a historic building to be used as a mere bus station, and that the buses should feck off somewhere else . . .

C635

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭elperello

no offence taken Oink.
    I'm no expert on architecture but if you can imagine the Dublin of the fifties Busaras was a pretty big deal and won a Gold Medal for Michael Scott. It was seen as a big step forward at the time and it is sad to see elements of the design rundown.

Follow this link for more info and a few archive photos.

http://www.irisharchitectureawards.ie/index.php/gold-medal/winner/busaras/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Conway635 wrote: »

Interesting to note Iarnród Éireann listed as the engineer and architect, considering unlike some provincial bus station it's not a shared terminal.
    Here's a picture showing the old seating. That seating was not there the last time I visited.

Busaras.jpg

Fuuny, the exact same collection box is still there (moved up closer to gate 2).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Oink wrote: »
    I get your point, but if Bus Eireann aren't bothered complaining, the Guards won't bother moving the junkies along.

It would only take one person in CIE who is bothered calling the Guards every time for a few weeks and then things will start happening. It worked for me, and it didn't take years to get it done.

CIE should be doing this on behalf of their customers. The same way they should be keeping the toilets clean.

About 7 years ago, when working for a private security firm, I spent a couple of months assigned to Busaras. The Guards did get called if there was a problem but, as someone else pointed out, they were well aware of the situation and weren't going to come running every time we had a hobo in the doorway. There is a severe limitation on what private security can do (and for good reason) so basically I walked around in a uniform a lot, kept a close eye on the undesirables and occasionally hassled them verbally to make it clear they weren't welcome.

Until we incorporate an actual transport police this is a problem that is not going to go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There is a methadone clinic around the corner on Amiens St, hence all the junkies and undesirables hanging around the area, hardly CIE's fault. Until someone has the balls to tackle these clinics being in the heart of the city centre where their...ahem...clientele's behaviour affects the lives of a $hitload of citizens, tourists & travelers going about their business, Busaras being a kip, is never going to change. Store St Garda station being across the road from it isn't going to make damm bit of difference either!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Why would they get rid of the junkies ?

They are customers after all - if challenged they can present their golden pass.

Advertisement