Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getthere.ie

Options
  • 10-04-2012 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

Recently discovered this site, and I have to say it's probably the best Irish website I've seen ever.

If it keeps going the way it is it'll be a one stop shop for transport info in Ireland.

Anyone know who is behind it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Searching on Get There Ltd in cro.ie produces this, for what it's worth.

Agreed, getthere.ie is an excellent innovation - the integration of car sharing is a brilliant touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

On a similar vein hittheroad.ie is pretty damn good for getting around Dublin. Really like the google maps interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EoghanGetthere

I develop and run the site, and it means quite a lot to hear positive feedback like this!

Let me know if you have any questions, or send them on to contact@getthere.ie

Eoghan

@getthereie

P.s. we've some integration in the works with hittheroad.ie, I'm also a big fan of that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

doopa wrote: »
    On a similar vein hittheroad.ie is pretty damn good for getting around Dublin. Really like the google maps interface.

Good site too, but some glaring rail omissions. E.g.

http://hittheroad.ie/#from=Castleknock&to=Skerries -- a 3 hour bus ordeal, which can be done in a little over an hour by rail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

n97 mini wrote: »
    Good site too, but some glaring rail omissions. E.g.

http://hittheroad.ie/#from=Castleknock&to=Skerries -- a 3 hour bus ordeal, which can be done in a little over an hour by rail.
    Hittheroad.ie uses bus and Dart so would not be able to give directions to Skerries by rail.

http://hittheroad.ie/about
    Hit The Road is a public transport journey-planning service, which you can use to find directions in and around Dublin. Hit the Road was launched in May 2010, and currently supports Dublin Bus, Luas and DART services, with further services on the way.

• Advertisement

The suburban rail has been missing a long time now, almost 2 years, and is a bigger sin that omitting Luas, imho.

It doesn't make sense that suburban rail is missing either, as Irish Rail cover it in real time quite well on their site. Do the developers of hittheroad.ie not know suburban rail exists, I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

n97 mini wrote: »
    is a bigger sin that omitting Luas, imho.

Eh, why?

In any case, Luas is not omitted.

markpb wrote: »
    Eh, why?
    Suburban covers a wider geographical area, and has far more track mileage than Luas. (It probably has a bigger catchment population too.)
    markpb wrote: »
    Luas is not omitted.
    I know.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I develop and run the site, and it means quite a lot to hear positive feedback like this!

Well done, nice site.

A few quick points:

- It would be nice if there was a mobile version of the site. It would only require a minor modification to make it mobile friendly.

- If you do a mobile version, add the ability for it to use the mobile GPS to get your current location.

- The new Aircoach service to Cork, would be good to indication which ones are stopping services and which are express.

With this and hittheroad.ie we are very close to having a national journey planner. I hope the NTA work with these guys, rather then building their own from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

Just did my first search, Portlaoise to Limerick, a route that is served by Irish Rail, Bus Eireann and some private bus operators.

My search shows the first train of the day in that direction to be the "16.21" (Irish Rail has this as the "16.22"). Irish Rail have 6 earlier trains, but they are all via Limerick Junction. I think the site should include these as the normal journey to Limerick would involve this stop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

bk wrote: »
    - The new Aircoach service to Cork, would be good to indication which ones are stopping services and which are express.

Scrap that, I see if you click on the entry, it shows more details including the journey time.

However I think it would be better if the journey time was included next to each entry without needing to click on the entry, so that you can compare journey times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EoghanGetthere

@Genghis luckily we had an update in development that finds routes like the Irish Rail ones via Limerick Junction. It has just been launched today, so you should now be able to see those 6 earlier results for Monday to Saturday: http://getthere.ie/portlaoise-limerick/

@Genghis luckily we had an update in development that finds routes like the Irish Rail ones via Limerick Junction. It has just been launched today, so you should now be able to see those 6 earlier results for Monday to Saturday: http://getthere.ie/portlaoise-limerick/
    Clicked on your link, and saw one small inaccuracy:

J.J. Kavanagh Coaches
    Leaves in 1 hr, 1 min
    Departs Portlaoise Blue Bridge 23:10
    Arrives Limerick Arthurs Quay 25:00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

This will probably be of more use to people than whatever the NTA produces, developed on the budget to feed coffee to the consultants :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

I recently discovered getthere.ie and find it really useful. Well done!
    I'll give it a mention on Pinterest.

Advertisement