Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dundalk to Dublin Pearse train commute?

• 20-11-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi does anyone know how reliable this is in the mornings? will be leaving around 7am.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

sheaman wrote: »
    hi does anyone know how reliable this is in the mornings? will be leaving around 7am.

Extremely reliable one leaves at 7 and another @ 7:10 takes approx 1:30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I wouldn't go so far as to say extremely reliable.
    There are usually ~1per month delays due to Irish rail failures
    When it snowed in 2009/2010 there were delays of >30 mins every journey I took on the train.
    Then you have the 3 months of no trains when Irish rail let a bridge fall into the sea at Malahide
    Every autumn, Irish rail put up ads saying journey times may be increased due to leaves on the line
    Then there are the delays caused by suicides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Agree completely, Irish Rail just aren't as proactive on mental health issues as they ought to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I wouldn't go so far as to say extremely reliable.
    There are usually ~1per month delays due to Irish rail failures
    When it snowed in 2009/2010 there were delays of >30 mins every journey I took on the train.
    Then you have the 3 months of no trains when Irish rail let a bridge fall into the sea at Malahide
    Every autumn, Irish rail put up ads saying journey times may be increased due to leaves on the line

I think that you are being a little unfair. Going back to the extreme snow (for Ireland) that we had. Irish Rail did a Stirling job in really tough conditions. Having men at Malahide station walking up and down ensuring the points didn't freeze is one such example. I think you would have suffered delays of more than 30 mins if you went by road. The bridge at Malahide was a terrible case and hopefully will never happen again.

Every railway network in a climate similar to ours suffers poor rail conditions in Autumn. The treatment this year seems to have worked well, with not very many delays compared to some years.

To bring suicides in is very insensitive.

OP,

The train from Dundalk is quite sufficient for the journey. 07:00 is a comfy 22k. You also have the enterprise to choose from as well. 16:50 ex Dublin is good, 1st stop Dundalk.

From a daily user of Northern Line Services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I wasn't clear in separating the cases Irish rail was responsible for, from the suicides, which they are not responsible for, but do happen and cause delays.

Re. the snow, I was delayed by > 90 mins one evening after someone slipped off a snow covered platform in Tara St, 3 days after the snow fell, it hadn't been removed. Luckily, there were no serious injuries, but that's hardly a pro-active response to the snow. The next morning, the snow had been cleared from all the platforms. But delays still persisted after several days of cold but clear weather.

I'd say there are signal failures or train breakdowns at least once a month to delay you by half an hour or so.

The leaves issue is still an issue reducing the train from the SP's extremely reliable level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

How many delays have you witnessed on the route and times that the OP mentioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

bikeman1 wrote: »
    To bring suicides in is very insensitive.

why? it happens and causes delays and line closures. Should we just hush it up and refuse to face as was always the case in the past? it occurs frequently enough and it will cause delays at some point on that route over the course of a year. Refusing to face that fact is just pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I drive the train in question quite regularly and I checked the departure times in Dundalk and these 2 trains have departed late twice in the last 2 years and anytime I was on them there never more than 3/4 minutes late on arrival which isn't worth boasting about as there's a lot of time built in to both routes
    So I would say there extremely reliable.
    As for delays the time of the bad snow irish rail was the only thing moving at the time, the snow was that bad you couldn't see the rails in places and there were dozens of people out in the snow clearing points

Advertisement