Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Ka - brakes & bearings

Options
  • 22-09-2008 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if the following prices from Advance Pitstop seem fair for d missus' motor:
    Brake Pads & Discs €400 fitted
    Rear Wheel Bearing €150 fitted

I know an Indy may be cheaper, but it would have to be a significant saving before we'd consider that route plus we don't like venturing into the unknown (we do have 2 mechanics we use for all engine and repair type stuff)

Also Advance said a new exhaust was needed, although not urgently, costing around €230 fitted.

Do these prices seem fair?

Don't sound too bad to me personally but that could be due to me being used to the commercial vehicle side of stuff which tends to be twice the running costs of these small nippy motors.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Savman wrote: »
    Just wondering if the following prices from Advance Pitstop seem fair for d missus' motor:
    4 x Brake Pads & Discs €400 fitted
    1 x Rear Wheel Bearing €150 fitted

I know an Indy may be cheaper, but it would have to be a significant saving before we'd consider that route plus we don't like venturing into the unknown (we do have 2 mechanics we use for all engine and repair type stuff)

Also Advance said a new exhaust was needed, although not urgently, costing around €230 fitted.

Do these prices seem fair?

Don't sound too bad to me personally but that could be due to me being used to the commercial vehicle side of stuff which tends to be twice the running costs of these small nippy motors.

Prices sound about right. By the way, all Advance Pitstop outlets are independent garages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Prices sound about right. By the way, all Advance Pitstop outlets are independent garages.
    That's what I was thinking, it's not like the pads and discs need to be done every month, it's just a necessary overhead tbh.

Didn't know that about Advance :confused:

That's what I was thinking, it's not like the pads and discs need to be done every month, it's just a necessary overhead tbh.

Didn't know that about Advance :confused:

Well an independent garage is a garage that is not an authorised as a franchised dealer or aftersales outlet by a vehicle manufacturer through its distributor in this country, or in simple terms, is not an authorised dealer or aftersales outlet, and Advance Pitstop clearly fall into this category...

They are just a network of independent servicing/maintenance outlets, that are owned by the same company. The only difference between Advance Pitstop and your local small indy garage is that Advance Pitstop are a multi outlet operation and are a recognised brand throughout the country.

Duly noted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

Do they need to be done?

I would have thought the brake discs on a Ka should last the most of its lifetime. Also, unless it is a very unusual Ka, it only has 2 brake discs, as it would have drums on the rear.

A full set of pads for a Ka should cost no more than €50, and rear shoes about the same. As I said, unless they are warped or dangerously worn the discs should be fine.

As for the exhaust.... if it isn't blowing, then it is fine!

Wheel bearing price is OK assuming it takes 2 hours to fit. The price of bearings is negligible.

I wouldn't pay the prices you are being quoted tbh.

• Advertisement

Hmmm now that you mention it I'm not even sure it does have rear brake discs, will have 2 clear that up with d'missus when she gets in, find out exactly what they did say because being such a small car I agree it's unlikely to have rear discs (just bought car recently so hence the unfamiliarity)

I don't think we're too worried about the exhaust tbh, just wanna get her safe and roadworthy.

Sorry, I should have copped this because I only did this job about a month ago. A Ford Ka has shoes & wheel cylinders on the rear axle.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have copped this because I only did this job about a month ago. A Ford Ka has shoes & wheel cylinders on the rear axle.
    Cool. Fancy doing it again :pac::pac::pac:

Cool. Fancy doing it again :pac::pac::pac:

Not if you paid me 800 Euro! I'm extremely glad to be out of the motor industry, it's a mugs game!

:D:D:D

Advertisement