Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol Station attendants

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Do women shake the petrol pump after filling up or is it just a man thing?

I always wipe the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

There's one between Kells and Navan that charges e1.39 for a litre of diesel when most places around are e1.05, they have a sign saying Quality Assured though, hope the attendant is getting well paid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

cool! - Any extra charge for it? - or the petrol any dearer for it?

Dunno about petrol but the Applegreen just up the road from it is 99.8 for diesel and Christies is 99.9 so there's a premium being charged for the attendant alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Gimmi all your loving all your hugs and kisses too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The world is in a very sorry state if all you chauffeurs are getting uppity about not having another little man to fill your master's motor vehicle with fuel.
    I expect my driver to have all the motor's filled with fuel whether he has to get out and do it himself or not.
    Really, you people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Gimmi all your loving all your hugs and kisses too

what is that a serenade for all those attendants out there? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The petrol station in front of Youngs (Opel garage) on the way out of Roscrea has (assuming he's not died in the past fortnight since the last time I was past) an attendant if you've a hankering for such things. Prices aren't any dearer than other local stations fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,366 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It would be too difficult to do it now, some people wouldn't even know if their car was petrol or diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

what is that a serenade for all those attendants out there? :D

i mean they are called 'service' stations are they not? - if you get your car serviced you dont roll yer sleeves up and do it yourselves - if you have someone offer a service on something they are doing something for you ... offering you a 'service'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

It'll be 'Pull you own' (oh matron!) next, out with barkeeps and their small talk/chit chatter! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I worked part time in a garage around 2008-10 and we had to fill cars. The manager was very pernickety about it too, you'd be told off if you didn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

samsid wrote: »
    The Petrol Pumps at Christies Supermarket on Pearse RD in Sligo,
    still offer an attendant service

Isn't that just a man in a hut. Similar set up at other attendant service.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They want you to fill your own so that when you go in to pay you might buy something else. It's a business decision.

Its as simple as this really. No point in having a shop attached to a station if you allow people to not leave their car to get petrol. Also profits are tiny in fuel sales, the owners need you to buy stuff in the shop to survive. You could spend €30 on petrol and the owner gets €2.50 profit and then go inside and buy a coffee and muffin for €4 and the owner gets another €2.50 profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

samsid wrote: »
    The Petrol Pumps at Christies Supermarket on Pearse RD in Sligo,
    still offer an attendant service

Christies is awesome

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭PC Lackey

Yo there still be one in Finglas like that for real.

I be layin back in the cut eatin me some grits and fried chicken, and this youngfella be fillin my ride. Then he all up in my grill aksin me for the money and sht.

That place in the village up off 4th and 2nd.

Just to give yall the 411 on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I remember driving in New Jersey in 2012 and being a bit amuse that it was illegal there to fill up with petrol yourself! Same goes for Oregon:

http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/bans-gas-pumping.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Plenty around the border still have them, think it's to stop lads driving off without paying more than customer service though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its as simple as this really. No point in having a shop attached to a station if you allow people to not leave their car to get petrol. Also profits are tiny in fuel sales, the owners need you to buy stuff in the shop to survive. You could spend €30 on petrol and the owner gets €2.50 profit and then go inside and buy a coffee and muffin for €4 and the owner gets another €2.50 profit.

I doubt that

• Registered Users Posts: 20,669 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I dont like people I know touching my car, nevermind strangers.

942e953c1582a875aa87ca478fd4f448c86688ff1a6e86eb24e5c35f7cbaac51.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I doubt that

actually youre right, it would be even less than €2.50 profit on €30 of petrol. Profit margins are tiny in selling fuel, its the shops sales that keep them afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I prefer to fill the car myself. Half the time, especially if it's coming close to payday I'm doing some mental maths while filling it which go something like

"Today's Friday, I'm getting paid Wednesday, I have to spin to Galway on Monday so I'll need more than €20 of diesel, oh I think there's a direct debit coming out on Tuesday, better leave it at €35" so it's not as simple as handing the attendant the money and letting them get on with it. I'm paying with my debit card 99% of the time anyway, so I still have to go into the shop.

There's an attendant in one of the petrols stations in the town I live in. It took about 5 years of telling him I was fine, I could fill it myself before he stopped asking. Prior to that, he would still try to fill it when I said no, or stand watching me fill it which was a bit weird. Especially when there was a rake of other cars on the forecourt he could attend to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I prefer to fill the car myself. Half the time, especially if it's coming close to payday I'm doing some mental maths while filling it which go something like

"Today's Friday, I'm getting paid Wednesday, I have to spin to Galway on Monday so I'll need more than €20 of diesel, oh I think there's a direct debit coming out on Tuesday, better leave it at €35" so it's not as simple as handing the attendant the money and letting them get on with it. I'm paying with my debit card 99% of the time anyway, so I still have to go into the shop.

There's an attendant in one of the petrols stations in the town I live in. It took about 5 years of telling him I was fine, I could fill it myself before he stopped asking. Prior to that, he would still try to fill it when I said no, or stand watching me fill it which was a bit weird. Especially when there was a rake of other cars on the forecourt he could attend to.

What happens if you want to pay by card? Does he have a remote chip and pin reader on hand?? I think the days of attendants are numbered. Must be 10 years since I've come across one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

A few stations offers this service and I have often used these stations but pump my own fuel as one of the attendants went to put petrol instead of diesel into my car.

Autosport wrote: »
    A few stations offers this service and I have often used these stations but pump my own fuel as one of the attendants went to put petrol instead of diesel into my car.

Theres the ting you see, you would hope that being served by attendant would stop all this malarkey and fill you up with the right fuel - if they get it wrong too then , well i dunno. all hope is lost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Stations claim they make less than 5c per litre gross profit but there are stations that don't sell anything else so really think this has to be wrong
    I do fully agree that the likes of apple green make the vast majority of their profit from the other sales

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

When it's milling rain and you've the kids in the car it's great to have an attendant there and you can usually give them cash also. With self service I didn't notice any decrease in price similar to self service checkouts. We do the work they charge the same......... what they could do is out in more pump pay points so that if I'm inconvenienced with fuelling my own car in not doubly inconvenienced with having to trudge through the shop to pay for it......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

XR3i wrote: »
    fuel injection technician

Best Job EVER!!!

seriously, it was the summer of '99, I was in the USA on a tourist visa, and got a job for 3 months for cash in hand as the above.

Best summer of my life ... memories.

Craic was great with the customers, they loved me cos I was from the old sod .... and every night partying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

They want you to fill your own so that when you go in to pay you might buy something else. It's a business decision.

You still need to physically go inside to pay while the guy fills your car. Unless you want to wave your laser card out the window. ;)

• Advertisement

Do women shake the petrol pump after filling up or is it just a man thing?

I do it too :P

I'm going to get me a high vis jacket and head to a petrol station to make a few bob :cool:

Advertisement