Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I hate the M50 [Warning post #222]

Options
  • 22-10-2015 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

I was heading to Wexford and was heading for m50. Entered m50 just after going past airport and withing 3 min of me been on the m50 the traffic was at stand still. I don't use the m50 at all really, only for i had to go to Wexford. But stopping and starting most of way on m50 is really bad. At one point i was in the overtaking lane (right hand lane) and we were at a standstill but left hand lane was moving freely. How is that possible? Is this a design fault or issue with badly timed traffic lights on exit of m50 or what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I was heading to Wexford and was heading for m50. Entered m50 just after going past airport and withing 3 min of me been on the m50 the traffic was at stand still. I don't use the m50 at all really, only for i had to go to Wexford. But stopping and starting most of way on m50 is really bad. At one point i was in the overtaking lane (right hand lane) and we were at a standstill but left hand lane was moving freely. How is that possible? Is this a design fault or issue with badly timed traffic lights on exit of m50 or what?

Could be near an exit and cars in the left hand lane were moving out of the gridlock. You were stuck on the righthand side with people who had no intention of using the exit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

the M50 turns into a car park when idio*t drivers do silly things and cause an incident, just like today when 8 cars were involved in a RTc EIGHT F*ucking CARS!!! madness.

Also the traffic moving freely in the left hand lane can be as a result of a number of things mainly...

1) most people who get onto the M50 head straight for the "FAST LANE" instead of driving how you should have been thought and to use the left hand lane until you need to overtake etc etc

2) there could have been an incident in the right lane causing it to come to a standstill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

megabantz wrote: »
    the M50 turns into a car park when idio*t drivers do silly things and cause an incident, just like today when 8 cars were involved in a RTc EIGHT F*ucking CARS!!! madness.

Also the traffic moving freely in the left hand lane can be as a result of a number of things mainly...

1) most people who get onto the M50 head straight for the "FAST LANE" instead of driving how you should have been thought and to use the left hand lane until you need to overtake etc etc

2) there could have been an incident in the right lane causing it to come to a standstill

I didn't hear of a 8 car crash today, when was it?
    I was stuck in the fast lane at that point as the lane next to me was at standstill also but the 2 lanes to left were flowing. I eventually got free.

it was part of the traffic report on 98fm thismorning. It may have been minor but would have caused delays for sure.

it was part of the traffic report on 98fm thismorning. It may have been minor but would have caused delays for sure.

took a good hour for me to get from one end of m50 to the other. I just don't understand how a 4 lane motorway can be at a standstill

• Advertisement

its very annoying alright but I put it down to 0 educational requirement when taking a test. I think they should make people do their test and should they pass they must then pass a motorway module. I bet you your house it would help. a lot of people don't know how to drive on the motorway, you just have to look at Germany I think it is where the Authobahn has no speed limit but they have a motorway module as part of taking their test so they know how to drive on a motorway and how to properly change lanes and enter / exit safely. I see it daily people driving on suicide missions flying around lanes like its the waltzers and then at the last minute zip across 3 lanes to an exit! madness

its very annoying alright but I put it down to 0 educational requirement when taking a test. I think they should make people do their test and should they pass they must then pass a motorway module. I bet you your house it would help. a lot of people don't know how to drive on the motorway, you just have to look at Germany I think it is where the Authobahn has no speed limit but they have a motorway module as part of taking their test so they know how to drive on a motorway and how to properly change lanes and enter / exit safely. I see it daily people driving on suicide missions flying around lanes like its the waltzers and then at the last minute zip across 3 lanes to an exit! madness

after you get off the m50 and you get on the n11 i think it is, the speed limit is 100kmh. Why? it a motorway essentially and not a busy one. so why make us do 100?
    I agree with the training for motorways as a lot of people fear them and need to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

And I'd suspect that this is the cause of most of the accidents on it. But until there is (a) some education and (b) enforcement of how to use a motorway, the quickest and clearest route on the M50 will continue to be the inside (driving) lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

took a good hour for me to get from one end of m50 to the other. I just don't understand how a 4 lane motorway can be at a standstill

Why not? It can only handle so many cars per hour. If it hits that number, traffic goes to a standstill.

This site is great.

https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/gmapbasic.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6

If you click any junction you'll get an average annual daily traffic for the last couple of years. So far this year the average is up 8000 cars a day.

Have no fear, our councils are springing into action and should have some plans to make it better in the next 15 years or so.

There are loads of things that could be done to make it easier on the commuter like tolling at each entrance & exit rather than just at one spot, a reduced rate toll for people who commute at non peak times, variable speed limits. Maybe joining up with the ferrys so they don't seem to dump 1000 trucks into the system at peak times.
    I think these just seem like futuristic ideas for our planners though.

First Up wrote: »
    And I'd suspect that this is the cause of most of the accidents on it. But until there is (a) some education and (b) enforcement of how to use a motorway, the quickest and clearest route on the M50 will continue to be the inside (driving) lane.

in Finland, don't they teach you have to control drift a car? yet we cant teach people to drive, in basically a straight line ha :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I love the M50. It's just the other drivers I hate...

There needs to be proper enforcement of the rules of the road, rather than the occasional squad car going along, in the wrong lane like all the other dopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

McGaggs wrote: »
    I love the M50. It's just the other drivers I hate...

There needs to be proper enforcement of the rules of the road, rather than the occasional squad car going along, in the wrong lane like all the other dopes.

Yes, police cars are invariably in the outside lane, which they seem to think is their birthright. I've also seen RSA vehicles sailing along in the middle lane, only crossing the driving lane en route to the exit.

I have never seen lane behavior enforced, nor have I ever seen anything on the overhead gantry about it. Nor has it ever featured as a topic in any of the RSA ads on radio or TV. And yet hardly a day passes without a few shunts and huge tailbacks, a high proportion of which are due to stupid driving and chaotic lane usage.

Daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

after you get off the m50 and you get on the n11 i think it is, the speed limit is 100kmh. Why? it a motorway essentially and not a busy one. so why make us do 100?
    I agree with the training for motorways as a lot of people fear them and need to use it

The M50 itself is 100km/h for the most of it, the M11 is 120km/h, and the N11 becomes 100km/h as you mention. In many instances these non-motorway sections are because they replaced (rather than ran alongside) the existing route, and if they were to operate as motorways it would lead to ridiculous detours, or even no access, for disallowed vehicles. The northernmost section of the Arklow bypass is just one such example, whereby the only access to the rugby club was off that until the latest upgrade along that corridor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

This drives me insane. My other favourites are
    Drive along in the left hand lane passing all the cars queuing in the slip lane to exit, even if there is a gap ignore it untill 50 metres to go, stand on the brakes, left indicate and push in causing everyone to brake hard...... then wonder what is causing the tailback

Enter a motorway,right indicator on and head straight across to the furthest right lane ( the "fast lane" ) , irrespective of what speed you are doing or anyone else is doing or whether conditions require it or not.

Dawdle along at 100kph in a 120 kph zone and then when someone goes out to pass...... right foot down and speed up, trapping them on the outside.Cnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The reason why you where stopped and the other lanes moving is due to other people driving too close and hitting their brakes as they get closer to the car in front, as most people are too close they then have to brake which leads to a phantom traffic jam. This travels in the opposite direction to the flow of traffic leading to a stand still several km back from the original incident.

The M50 is like all orbital routes and suffers traffic congestion. The M25 around London is 6 lanes in some parts and that has huge congestion daily, the orbital around Paris is another massive motorway with massive congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I didn't hear of a 8 car crash today, when was it?
    I was stuck in the fast lane at that point as the lane next to me was at standstill also but the 2 lanes to left were flowing. I eventually got free.

You were not stuck in the fast lane. There is no "fast lane". It is an overtaking lane. It is driving like you are that causes the tail back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Ronin247 wrote: »
    This drives me insane. My other favourites are
    Drive along in the left hand lane passing all the cars queuing in the slip lane to exit, even if there is a gap ignore it untill 50 metres to go, stand on the brakes, left indicate and push in causing everyone to brake hard...... then wonder what is causing the tailback

Enter a motorway,right indicator on and head straight across to the furthest right lane ( the "fast lane" ) , irrespective of what speed you are doing or anyone else is doing or whether conditions require it or not.

Dawdle along at 100kph in a 120 kph zone and then when someone goes out to pass...... right foot down and speed up, trapping them on the outside.Cnuts.

I hate that, i've been sitting here for 10 minutes and you want in? I think not. I stay as close to the car in front and i know i shouldn't but i politely stick my middle finger up and never let these people in

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Hate the M50 and I'm only a passenger, I have driven it once or twice maybe but only because I had no choice, there are people who drive this road every day and have been lucky enough not to have a accident so some of them have the attitude that they are perfect drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Severard

Traffic is bad on it most days but today with the crash it was a complete holdup. I get off at exit 13 northbound for Sandyford but at 8:30 I was at exit 15 and there was already a standstill. So I took that exit, went through Foxrock and made it into work within 15 minutes. Fairly quite & the only real traffic was just off the exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

Agree with most of the above! My own two main hates are:

Idiots who do 80km or less in the middle lane- oblivious to all around them.

Dickheads who try to merge at the last moment where others have been queuing for half a kilometre. I never let them in-usually some asshole in a bmw or a van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

cython wrote: »
    The M50 itself is 100km/h for the most of it, the M11 is 120km/h, and the N11 becomes 100km/h as you mention. In many instances these non-motorway sections are because they replaced (rather than ran alongside) the existing route, and if they were to operate as motorways it would lead to ridiculous detours, or even no access, for disallowed vehicles. The northernmost section of the Arklow bypass is just one such example, whereby the only access to the rugby club was off that until the latest upgrade along that corridor.

Roads don't need motorway status to have a speed limit of 120 km/h. The N1 (after the M1 ends) between Jonesborough and the Border is an N road and has a speed limit of 120 km/h and is therefore accesible to cyclists and agricultural vehicles (it has a large hard shoulder).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

The M50 is a kip between 7 and 8:30 in the morning. fact. its ok after that, but its still a kip

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I love the M50.
    If it wasn't there, it would take me 3 times as long to get to the Folks house
    5 times as long to get to work, if there was work, in a backward non-bypassed capital city

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gogreen81

There are loads of things that could be done to make it easier on the commuter like tolling at each entrance & exit rather than just at one spot, a reduced rate toll for people who commute at non peak times, variable speed limits. Maybe joining up with the ferrys so they don't seem to dump 1000 trucks into the syst
    see no response to your comment. It's. Good idea to toll each entry and exit. Y only the west side blanch guys pay the toll . Whereas from west to all south there is no toll at all. So ppl using it for free . With extea money something can be done to the road . Another m50 etc. Also there should be some good direct routes from west side to source considering there are so many ppl living in west and working in south.. Unfortunately there is nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gogreen81

If there are direct bus routes from west to sandyford there would be a lot less traffic . Y only talk about Luas and dart which has long waiting period. More than people travel to airport they travel to work in pathetic m50 traffic. I wonder why there is nothing done yet to cover such a profitable route. Y do we need to go to city centre first to go south.. How stupid is that . Are Dublin buses banned on m50? 2 buses would take 100 cars off road .
    20 buses to take 1000.. Is is not simple math??
    Never liked the fact that I had to pay hefty toll from west to west travel

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

gogreen81 wrote:
    Y only the west side blanch guys pay the toll . Whereas from west to all south there is no toll at all. So ppl using it for free

The toll was introduced to pay for the bridge crossing the Liffey, it was called the west link. Similarly there is toll on the bridge crossing the Liffey in the East called - Eastlink.

Why toll the motorways at all, when you consider the total mileage covered in a year on them they must be the cheapest and safest roads in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

I think its just volume, been using it last 4 years leaving around 7am from clonee to donnybrook and used to take about 35 mins at 7am couple years ago buy 7am not, looking at 1hr 30m or so,but definitely more cars on it now again.

Need to get up earlier.

We need an m60 now!

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement