Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap insurance for provisional drivers licence?

Options
  • 14-01-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi Lads!

I am really sorry if similar thread is somewhere around, but I was unable to find any useful that would give me some satisfying answer.

Thing I am looking for, is an insurance company, that will insure me, 26years old male, with Provisional drivers licence and 1.0 engine car.

Many companies will not insure me, unless I was insured for a year somewhere. On other hand, only one company that I found gives Quote online, and thats Liberty insurace, but what I read in here about them, its rip off, and they asked me for 1700e for a year insurance - which indeed seems incredible high - but hell, if there is no other choice, I will have to take it.

Aviva told me to give them address that they will send me some forms to fill in and then they will see - weird why I cannot fill those online and send via e-mail or submit online while we are in 21st century, but what the heck, lets do it old school.

Allianz and 123.ie both told me no, that I would have to be at least year insured or been named driver.

Why not to be Named driver? Well, I cant, I am not Irish, living in Ireland for over 7 years, but I dont have a parents here who would use their car, and signed me on as named driver, and doing it via friends - who will be driving with me, is not an option for the moment.

So what options do I have? Thanks for any response, even negative, of course, experiences from someone with similar problem is more than welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Im in the same position. ive chatted to a few companies who seemed willing to quote me. They charge through the nose tho, so expect to pay top dollar for the lowest cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ger10

Have you guys tried FBD.ie

I got insured on them on a provisional for a better price than I could find anywhere else. My insurance as a male, 21, 1.6 1 yr NCB is 750. Give it a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

yes, they are one ive looked at.

Also:
    first ireland,
    xs direct,
    quote devil,
    and 4thelads
    all seem prepared to quote you on a provisional , if you are prepared for the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭carleigh

Try JLT Ireland, I got my insurance with them last summer, my own policy on a provisional, and got a really good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Online quotes are a waste of time; pick up the phone and ring and you will most likely get more joy.

€1700 is not outrageous for a learner with no experience or NCB.

Depending on how much the car is worth take a look at XSDirect. They will most likely quote you; it will have a very high excess meaning that from your point of view your cover is little more than a piece of paper on the windscreen for legal reasons, but it might be the cheapest way to build up experience and a NCB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Zheiko

Thanks for the advices lads, seems like 4thelads.ie offers the cheapest insurance for me going with 1400euro, which isnt that bad:) Thank you again!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭CurtisBoylan

Quick one for you guys, we have been looking at insurance quotes for July when I turn 17 and get my permit. I have been getting quotes of 4,000 euros just as a a additional driver. I'm wondering of anyone has any idea, of maybe some cheaper insurance companies, or any ideas what we should do when it comes to it? Car is a 2.7 Ssangyong Rexton btw.

Thanks,

Curtis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Quick one for you guys, we have been looking at insurance quotes for July when I turn 17 and get my permit. I have been getting quotes of 4,000 euros just as a a additional driver. I'm wondering of anyone has any idea, of maybe some cheaper insurance companies, or any ideas what we should do when it comes to it? Car is a 2.7 Ssangyong Rexton btw.

Thanks,

Curtis

17 years old, learner permit and a 2.7 litre vehicle? You should consider any insurance around 4k as cheap for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,493 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Get a smaller car, insurance will never be cheap on that for a 17yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

You need to get into a smaller car. My son got on my octavia 1.4 for 1100euro last year. He was only 17 then. He got his test during the year and now it is down to 725 euro.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that guys, I never thought the prices would be so insane with taking lessons, and also driving with a parent at all times, they don't seem to let learners get off easy on prices here compared to the US. I will keep shopping around, and if all comes to all, purchase a low liter car coming up to July.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

johnayo wrote: »
    You need to get into a smaller car. My son got on my octavia 1.4 for 1100euro last year. He was only 17 then. He got his test during the year and now it is down to 725 euro.

Named driver I presume ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Thanks for that guys, I never thought the prices would be so insane with taking lessons, and also driving with a parent at all times, they don't seem to let learners get off easy on prices here compared to the US. I will keep shopping around, and if all comes to all, purchase a low liter car coming up to July.

Thanks!

thats what I would do if I was you for 4000 you-d be able to buy a smaller car and insure it and tax it for the year for that price!I know in the u.s a 2.7 isnt really considered big but in Ireland the tax alone would be crippling never mind the insurance or running costs,but remember Ireland is a country where anyone who drives anything over a 1.9Diesel with a big exhaust big wheels and tinted windows is considered to be driving a high powered supercar !

I agree there Triple-M.

Anyone any idea on this Aviva free 6 month insurance deal when you go with their driving lessons? Since you have to pay a full year, will they rip you off for the 6 months that won't be free?

Thanks,

Curtis

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭the irish fella

for 4k you would buy and insure a 1.4 in your own name

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Hi guys,

My sis has just got her first wheels and is also getting lessons. Where would be the best places to get quotes? I've looked at a few and I think its4women.ie looks the best right now. Would that be regarded as one of the better places for a learner female to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This question gets asked a million times here and the answer is always the same. Nobody here can tell you the best place for car insurance as car insurance is not bought from a fixed menu. It is calculated based on many variables specific to the person being insured, their location, driving experience and the car they are insuring. So an insurance company could be very cheap for me but could be very expensive for yourself.

There is no easy way or shortcut when it comes to shopping around for insurance, you will have to spend a few hours ringing all the insurance companies and brokers for their best price and then ring the cheapest ones back and play them off each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Oh I know Bazz, cheers! I've no clue on the younger female bracket though so wanted to know if there were other options that I wouldn't have come across before. Will tell her to do her research.....and also chase up a few mates and see what they did.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Britton were good for my bro 2 years ago. Usually give good quotes to learners.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

With the gender equalisation thing introduced recently I don't know if there are any insurance companies that offer higher discounts for females anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I'm a 23 year old learner and got insured last week with KennCo through a broker for just under a grand. Was the best I could find and himself did a lot of research!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm a 23 year old learner and got insured last week with KennCo through a broker for just under a grand. Was the best I could find and himself did a lot of research!

Name of the broker? That's the most important bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Name of the broker? That's the most important bit...

Edit: just noticed you're the mod, obviously I can post it then :P

McCarthy Insurance group in Abbey Court, Tralee, Co. Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

How about actually going and getting your full licence first? Unless you've got a buddy meeting the requirements who's going to travel around with you, you'll be driving illegally anyway on a learner's permit in your own car.

You're a learner with no experience - you're in one of the highest risk categories on the road as far as insurance goes. The only thing saving you is being a little bit older than most who would be in this situation. You'll just have to suck it up.

As an aside, the reason most websites won't quote you is that they're only set up for mainstream customers i.e. full licence, no claims, mainstream car with no mods, etc. This will be in the small print somewhere too. Customers outside that profile are considered a special risk and they may have to do a manual quote for you with their actuarial staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Look up Asgard (Lloyds). Got insured with them for €1200 through insure.ie a few years back when they did car insurance. €1200 was for an 02 1.4L Honda Civic Saloon, and I was about 26 or 27 at the time, provisional, with no NCB. Fully comp, and the excess was €300

I'd avoid anywhere that your excess was several grand, unless you were 17 years old wanting to drive a modified 3L Supra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vintage_Love0

Hi Guys!

I was wondering does anybody know of cheap car insurance for a learner driver? I'm female, 21, havn't got a car yet but have my eye on a 1L Nissan Micra!

If anyone has any information at all I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommyspiggy

Hi all,
    I am 17 very soon and about to start looking for inusurance
    I know this is a tough job trying to get insurance
    I have a 1.4l 2000 toyota corolla hatchback (i no its not ideal but a friend was selling it and toyota cars are reliable).
    I want insurance on a learners permit.
    I have heard of the aviva deal but no one in my family is with them so cant avail of it.
    I am going under my mother for inusrance, not sure if she will have no claims bonus as it may be used on another car . I am not going to be the main driver

Any suggestions of good companies, or let me hear your experiences of insurance ?

anyone ?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Your best bet is to pick up the phone and ring around yourself. If you go with a company that you already use in the family, you can get a discount, although not that much.

• Advertisement

Cheers, guess thats best,ill spend a few hours phoning around, however no matter what way i look at it its going to be pretty deere . thanks

also,
    Anyone on here use boxymo or smartdriver ? would anyone recomned them ??

Advertisement