Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Reception Terrible

• 03-10-2005 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

Hi

I purchased a house in June with a Sky dish on the side of it.

Rang Sky for a special offer installation and box.

The guy came out and connected the box - never went near the dish. Appeared to work OK, everyone happy.

Week later had to ring Sky because a lot of stations were pixelated badly. They said it had to do with the horizontal transponder. I explained the last guy did not check the dish.

Second guy comes out, replaces LNB and again signal appears to be better. But not all stations are good, just the crappy ones are bad.

Now all the good stations, both horizontal and vertical transponders are pixelated very badly. Cannot see Sky One, Sports, Smash Hits, etc.

I can get RTE-TG4 (101-104) fine.

Sky are sending someone out again to fix this. WHAT should I be looking for from the engineer?

What SHOULD be done.

I've asked them to send a height team to put the dish higher but they say this might not be possible. There are small minor branches about 20 yards from the dish.

ALSO, Am I correct in saying that the signal does not go straight into the LNB from the Sky. It hits a spot on the dish and then goes intot he LNB?

THANKS!

Slumped

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The signal comes into land on the whole of your dish at an angle of about 22 degrees. The dish when mounted "straight up" is actually pointing nearly 22 degrees higher up, as it is a mirror to focus the radio waves on LNB. The LNB as you can see is well below the centre of the dish. Imagine the radio waves reflecing down into it.
       .        \ /
     (_          |

Dish & LNB  Tree

dots show path to satellite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Thanks Watty, rang Sky last week and the silly wagon on the other end of the phone tried to tell me that the signal did not bounce off the dish at all and that the signal travelled straight from space into the LNB.

Any advice on what I can say to the engineer? Are there any boosters/tricks that I shoul ask for?

S

Advertisement