Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky + Optical to Analogue 5.1 convertor

Options
  • 01-10-2005 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭

Does such a device exist or does anyone know of a decent DVD player that will accept optical in and put it on an analogue output

Join Ireland Weather Network

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wizard1

tcob1

Are you by any chance trying to use a digital amp that has no optical input?
    If so there is a device that turns optical digital into coaxial digital.

It`s called a MIDIMAN Coaxial / Optical converter

I use it to run both an Optical and an Coaxial signal
    and the amp auto switches between my sky+ box and my dvd player

if this is not what your looking for, Good luck with your search

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

That sounds like it, my amp only has one set of inputs so I need to get an analogue switch as well. Thanks for the info

I had a detailed look don't think it will do what I need. I need the optical signal decoded to each channel, ie, 6 phono cables which I would plug into the back of the surround amp as it needs each channel to have an input

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Given the price of amps it would be much easier just to buy a new amp that has an optical input. As a matter of interest what amp do you have with 5.1 analog inputs with no digital?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, I agree with pH. The amp you already have should definitely be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Hi tcob1,

Just to repeat what the others have said. You will need a new amp...

There's no such thing as a converter of an optical signal into 5.1 output... or rather there is... but it's called... an amp...

What you have is a plain amp, designed to cope with a DVD player that outputs the 5.1 signals. You want one with an amp/decoder to decode the optical signal from Sky+

I'd suggest you get a combination DVD/sound system with an optical in. Usually they come with speakers, though you might have them already. Make sure it will decode Dolby digital and DTS (just to future proof it).

I do have a device like wizard's because my sound system only has a co-ax digital in... so I convert the optical.

I paid €260 for a Philips lx3900sa... and you can probably get stuff cheaper than that.

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I got a VERY cheap acoustic solutions 5.1 in Argos. It has Optical, Coax Digial and Analog stereo inputs. Does Dolby and DTS.

You can use one channel of a multiway analog stereo RCA/Phono socket switch to switch Digial Coax.

I use the DVD on optical, the Satellite Box on Coax Digital and the VHS on stereo Analog.

Easy to remember.

Actually the DVD player has optical, RCA coax digital AND 6 analog outputs. But no inputs.

It is a Tevion amp suits my needs. I have looked in Currys and may get a Amp/decoder there anyway, just have to get it past the wife :)

Advertisement