Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE in the UK

Options
  • 27-09-2005 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Is it possible, and how much for a year?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I don't think you can get it in the UK,but I am not sure.To many complications with exclusive rights for shows etc etc.

But I could be wrong

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

irish sub,

someone here my be intrested in a Swap for a English subscription, tbh

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

If you haven't a sky subscription already this is what you do. You have to do it through Sky but it is a little complicated and sneaky. You buy a Sky digi box and minidish, try ebay or google it. Get someone living in Ireland (ie your parents) to agree to be your Irish address. Then you check the Sky Ireland website http://www.sky.com/skycom/article/0,,91069-1130664,00.html and choose the variety pack and at least one other, for €21.50 a month.

Call Sky (from an Irish mobile or with your UK number barred) giving them the Irish address, tell them which packages you want and tell them you already have the equipment because someone gave it to you. (This has differed for me as one person in Sky told me this and another didn't: When they ask tell them you don't have a landline as they must not know you are in the UK. As you aren't connecting through a phone line there is a charge of £25 (about €40).) You must arrange to pay your charges through an Irish bank a/c or credit card. (If you opt for Sky+ or any premium channels they will need the serial no on the box as they must be paired)

Then they will send a contract to your Irish address, someone there must sign it and return it to them. They send out the card once they get the contract back, get the person at that address to post it on to you. And then (finally) you are ready

Total cost is about £150 to get set up and then €21.50/£15 a month on a 12 month minimum contract. As you would have an Irish card you won't get ITV (at present), Ch4, Ch5, ITV2+3. You will also get the NI versions of the BBC's afaik. But you could always get a freeview box for £25/35 and hook it up through a second scart connection or your bedroom if you have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 David Robinson

It's even better if you know someone in NI and use their address. Then you get RTÉ and the full set of UK channels as well. Choose the Variety Mix plus one other mix, £15/month.

http://www.sky.com/ordersky/channelpackages

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Big Pat

irish sub,

someone here my be intrested in a Swap for a English subscription, tbh

Does anyone know if a spare box & card in a multi-room system registered in Ireland would then work in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Big Pat wrote:
    Does anyone know if a spare box & card in a multi-room system registered in Ireland would then work in the UK?

No. Both cards of a multi-room sub must remain attached to the same phone line -forever-.

Advertisement