Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Knowledge Quiz

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

When did Germany finally pay off the last of the WW1 reparations?

When did Germany finally pay off the last of the WW1 reparations?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

feargale wrote: »

You're all right :D

Haiti achieved independence from France in 1804 on condition that it pay reparations to France. In what year was the final instalment paid?

Haiti achieved independence from France in 1804 on condition that it pay reparations to France. In what year was the final instalment paid?

• Advertisement

Answer = 1947. This place has gone dead. Another: Haiti was the first enduring republic of freed slaves in the Western Hemisphere. But Palmares, a predecessor from a century earlier, which did not survive, was established in which modern day country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Jamaica?

Jamaica?

No.

Jamaica?

No.

Answer = 1947. This place has gone dead. Another: Haiti was the first enduring republic of freed slaves in the Western Hemisphere. But Palmares, a predecessor from a century earlier, which did not survive, was established in which modern day country?

99% sure it's Brazil but will wait for confirmation before posting follow up question.

• Advertisement

99% sure it's Brazil but will wait for confirmation before posting follow up question.

Correct.

Correct.

Who links Brazil and Czechoslovakia? Don't think too literally

Who links Brazil and Czechoslovakia? Don't think too literally

1. Brazil's President Juscelino Kubitschek - got his Czech surname from his Czech greatgrandfather
    2. The footballers of Brazil and Czechoslovakia - met in the 1962 World Cup final.
    3. Volkswagen - big factory in Brazil and they own Skoda.
    4. Big German minorities - in present-day Brazil and in pre-war Czechoslovakia.
    5. Hurlers - none in either country.
    6. Cities beginning with the letter B.
    7. Magnificent women letting it all hang out ( hope that's not too literal :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CiaraRedmond

William Harrison

What organ in the body is completely useless in humans but is vitally important in animals?

1. Brazil's President Juscelino Kubitschek - got his Czech surname from his Czech greatgrandfather
    2. The footballers of Brazil and Czechoslovakia - met in the 1962 World Cup final.
    3. Volkswagen - big factory in Brazil and they own Skoda.
    4. Big German minorities - in present-day Brazil and in pre-war Czechoslovakia.
    5. Hurlers - none in either country.
    6. Cities beginning with the letter B.
    7. Magnificent women letting it all hang out ( hope that's not too literal :D )

All very good especially the fifth and seventh options but none of 'em are who I was thinking of :D
    William Harrison

What organ in the body is completely useless in humans but is vitally important in animals?

I don't get that connection at all. Sorry :confused:

Who I had in mind was playwright Tom Stoppard who was born Tomas Straussler in (then) Czechoslovakia and co-wrote Brazil with Terry Gilliam

Appendix perhaps (although according to someone on QI it holds all the information that isn't in the main body, made me laugh anyway)

Actually no. 5 isn't totally accurate. A few young Gort Brazilians have returned home, taking hurleys with them. However I think it will be some time before Brazil take on Kilkenny in an All-Ireland final.
    Furthermore I believe a native of Czechoslovakia played hurling in the 1940s either for Thurles C.B.S. or Tipperary minors or both.

William Harrison

The tail ( only a stump in the case of humans. )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

Appendix?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CiaraRedmond

Appendix is right, it's used to break down cellulose in plants

• Advertisement

Shoot feargale

gufc21 wrote: »
    Shoot feargale

feargale flees with tail between legs. :eek:

gufc21 wrote: »
    Appendix?

Ok gufc put up one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Who was the last official Emperor of Rome? (I know it's often times disputed but give me the name that appears in the history books)

Who was the last official Emperor of Rome? (I know it's often times disputed but give me the name that appears in the history books)

Probably Romulus Agustus but I'll wait before posting another question

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Probably Romulus Agustus but I'll wait before posting another question

That's right.

There were five so called good emperors, Nerva, Trajan, Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius are four. Who was the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Vespasian?

Hadrian.

how many men are/were in a centuary after the marius reforms?

• Advertisement

Eighty

Which piece of standard Roman military equipment did Marius re-design?

Advertisement