Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will my car fail the NCT?

• 22-05-2014 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

So I got stopped by guards and have 8 days to present my NCT.

Here are the list of problems with my car

1. Spare tyre on front left
    2. Windscreen has the slightest crack from a stone hitting it. about 1cm X 1cm
    3. Front right indicator causes car to loose power and sometimes flashes at double the speed
    4. Drivers window is not useable. You can still pull it down but once its down it stays down

Will i have to fix all of these first? Also is there anything else I should be aware of that commonly shows up on a car when tested.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

DarraghR wrote: »

Here are the list of problems with my car

1. Spare tyre on front left
    2. Windscreen has the slightest crack from a stone hitting it. about 1cm X 1cm
    3. Front right indicator causes car to loose power and sometimes flashes at double the speed
    4. Drivers window is not useable. You can still pull it down but once its down it stays down

Will i have to fix all of these first? Also is there anything else I should be aware of that commonly shows up on a car when tested.

Thanks

Your biggest problem will be getting a slot in 8 days. Try to get a one ASAP. If I were you I'd stick it through, see what it fails on and get it all done at once.

Spare tyre isn't neassecarily a fail as long as the thread depth is OK

Windscreen see page 26 http://www.ncts.ie/NCT%20Manual%20Revise%20May%202012.pdf

Indicator will fail if it goes bad during the test. Maybe a bad connection or damp getting into it.

Drivers window will fail unless it works properly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Drivers window is a definite fail.

You'll get a test in eight days if you haunt the website about 11pm in the evening and are willing to travel.

If you don't produce, the penalty is five points and a fine up to 1500 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭greasepalm

or put car straight in and get their list to see how much your going to fork out.
    1 space saver is emergency tyre.
    2 depends on where crack is but is repairable now.
    3 car goes on fire because of fault?
    4 working drivers window a must.

we could be here all night listing faults so put it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,709 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So you were driving around without a valid NCT? And without having an NCT appointment to show the guards?

You were very lucky not to get a €1,500 fine and 5 penalty points

As for your issues, as the others said. Depends on the other issues, but the drivers window has to go all the way up and down.

Do NOT drive your car until you have proof of NCT appointment with you. Ring NCT around 8AM every morning to try and get a cancellation slot and get your car tested so you can produce your cert at the Garda station

Good luck & let us know how you're getting on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Yeah I know extremely lucky. He was really nice.

Cant believe its €1,500 fine and 5 penalty points !!!!!

The NCT office have put me on a priority list but yes I will ring them everyday but need to get everything repaired first. Easier said than done with a full time job but have to make this a priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭homingbird

What about a temp sale to a friend then back again once the heat has died down it give you more time to fix your problems.:D:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Stheno wrote: »
    Drivers window is a definite fail.

Are you sure the window needs to be able to close? Not sure myself, but the main thing is that you can get it open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

homingbird wrote: »
    What about a temp sale to a friend then back again once the heat has died down it give you more time to fix your problems.:D:cool:

Only if his friend is going to put it through NCT in next 8 days, and gives him a cert to present at the station.

This heat won't go away, he will go to court if he doesn't present the requested documents on time:D:cool:.

Once the window comes down it aint going back up. Sure need to get it repaired anyways with summer kicking in. Rang the station earlier. If it will take a few extra days then its ok but dont want to take the piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Yeah I know extremely lucky. He was really nice.

Cant believe its €1,500 fine and 5 penalty points !!!!!

The NCT office have put me on a priority list but yes I will ring them everyday but need to get everything repaired first. Easier said than done with a full time job but have to make this a priority.

Luckily for you all the items you listed are a visual retest items so after you fail you don't have to book an appointment.

Unluckily for you if there are more issues that require a retest (not a visual one) you will have to book a retest, too. I really doubt it can be done but make sure to do your best to do all the work asap, book the test asap etc. Then, when it go to the court you will have some defence.

You already lost 2 days, so phone them first thing in the morning. If you present it to the guards 2, 3 or even a week later they might be in position to forget about you.

Bear in mind you drove a car without a NCT so they might send it to court anyway, the 10 days to produce was for a recent cert, not to give you a time to test the car. That's my understanding.

The very same applies to tax or insurance. They don't see a disc and give you 10 days to produce. To produce, not to buy a policy or a tax;)
    Unless you met a Gardai who wanted to give you a chance to put things right, you might end up in court anyway. Just make sure to get the paperwork sorted - this will help you get out of it either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

unkel wrote: »
    So you were driving around without a valid NCT? And without having an NCT appointment to show the guards?

You were very lucky not to get a €1,500 fine and 5 penalty points

As for your issues, as the others said. Depends on the other issues, but the drivers window has to go all the way up and down.

Do NOT drive your car until you have proof of NCT appointment with you. Ring NCT around 8AM every morning to try and get a cancellation slot and get your car tested so you can produce your cert at the Garda station

Good luck & let us know how you're getting on!

Not out of the woods yet. It is a mandatory court appearance not a question of 5 points and €1500 fine on the spot. It isn't 8 days to get an NCT done, it's 8 days to prove you have an NCT

wonski wrote: »
    Only if his friend is going to put it through NCT in next 8 days, and gives him a cert to present at the station.

This heat won't go away, he will go to court if he doesn't present the requested documents on time:D:cool:.

If you dont own the car anymore your are not responsible for it anymore. YOU cant be for something you don't own. The case was only again you not the new owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭whippet

If you dont own the car anymore your are not responsible for it anymore. YOU cant be for something you don't own. The case was only again you not the new owner.

but he has already committed the offence .. just hasn't been charged for it 'yet' ... so if he does a rinky dinky with his mate to avoid complying with the discretion and leeway that the garda has shown .. he may well find a summons landing on the door step and the whopper 5 points and fine to match ...

Time is running out on him he needs another option. THEY gave him the option of testing it they cant tell you to sell your car as another option but if you dont have the use of it anymore how can you be fined.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Time is running out on him he needs another option. THEY gave him the option of testing it they cant tell you to sell your car as another option but if you dont have the use of it anymore how can you be fined.

it doesn't matter if he sells it now or not. He still needs to provide his NCT as he was driving the car on the day in question. If he fails to provide it and gets summoned to court, then he will be charged with having committed the offence on the date he was stopped. Not 8 days later.

Yawns wrote: »
    it doesn't matter if he sells it now or not. He still needs to provide his NCT as he was driving the car on the day in question. If he fails to provide it and gets summoned to court, then he will be charged with having committed the offence on the date he was stopped. Not 8 days later.

that is my reading of it. Maybe the Gard will be lenient if it passes a test now, maybe he wont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

He owned the car at the time of the offence. I see plenty of cases in the local paper where the defendant no longer drives, the car has since been scrapped, sold etc etc but the conviction still stands and he gets the fine and points.

if you were to beat up your wife, would you be immune from prosecution because you had since divorced her? No of course not. It's an offence to drive a car without an NCT, selling it will not change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

As others have already said this is completely untrue.
    The OP owned the car at the time of the offence and is therefore guilty for the offence.
    Arguing to the court that you sold the car the day after so I'm not at fault would be laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭sparkynash

Why haven't you kept your car maintained,you have let all these small things build up now they all have to be sorted in one go.you only have yourself to blame for this.get rid of the car if you can't afford to maintain it.simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

sparkynash wrote: »
    Why haven't you kept your car maintained,you have let all these small things build up now they all have to be sorted in one go.you only have yourself to blame for this.get rid of the car if you can't afford to maintain it.simple as that.
    In the words of Basil Fawlty, your special chosen subject, the bloody obvious:pac: I'm sure the op has worked that out for himself.

Im well aware that I should have sorted out all of these issues well in advance but I didnt. Personal problems had an affect on me neglecting my car but this is without a doubt a priority as I am highly reliant on it.

Thanks for all the help and advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

All the faults are only a visual retest, no charge no appointment so go ahead and put it through test as is. Then get the NCT list fixed.

Advertisement