Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I have a Ryan but i was gonna go with Jamie,till my fellas sister had a baby boy before me and "robbed" my name.But im glad as there is a glut of Jamies in the school.So ive the last laugh:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Think I've more or less settled on a boys name.
    For a girl I like either Skye or Amber, I think I like Skye most but not sure if it goes with our surname.

I love love love the name Skye
    So gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

What do people think of the name Layla?
    We are looking at Lydia too. middle name will definitely be Faye.

Oh has a very common surname so I don't want anything too common, but nothing too out there either. I like wren but it sounds too similar to the surname.

It's gonna be a winter baby so something wintery would be nice. (not Christmassy mind you so noelle and Natalie etc is out). I love naturey sounding names but any I sound out come across very hippyish. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I think Lydia is lovely, and it's one you don't hear very often, but it's not in any way "out there" either. :) And it goes very well with Faye!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I wouldn't be a fan of Layla, but think Lydia is lovely. Lydia Faye has a nice ring to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I like Lydia too, very Jane Austen! Robyn is a nice 'Wintery' name too I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I like Layla Faye, beautiful together and unusual but not too unusual, easy to pronounce and spell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I like Layla Faye, beautiful together and unusual but not too unusual, easy to pronounce and spell!

If I heard the name Layla, I'd be inclined to spell it Leila ... there isn't really any ambiguity with Lydia.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GinnyR

Favourites would have to be:
    Ailbhe
    Niamh
    Bernadette
    Angela

Liam
    Neil
    Jack
    Connor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm leaning towards Lydia, Layla just recently came up but I do like it. This baby naming lark is difficult!

Boys name picked weeks now. Girls name I keep chopping and changing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

If we have a girl my husband wants to name her Laila. Leila is the original spelling (it's from a Byron poem) and I prefer that spelling and we can't agree so I think it's out :)

Neither of us prefer the spelling Layla.
    I think it's a lovely name though!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I prefer lidia faye, layla faye reminds me of the 90's singer Layla K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Lydia Faye has a lovely flow to it.

We're still undecided on a boy's name. Lots of maybes but nothing concrete. Sure we'll see who he looks like!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Love both Layla and Lydia and Faye is another favourite, but I slightly prefer the way Layla Faye sounds. I think it has nicer rhythm (for lack of a better term) than Lydia Faye. You couldn't go wrong with either though, both are really lovely. Good luck and congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Woshy wrote: »
    If we have a girl my husband wants to name her Laila. Leila is the original spelling (it's from a Byron poem) and I prefer that spelling and we can't agree so I think it's out :)

Neither of us prefer the spelling Layla.
    I think it's a lovely name though!

Seeing as Leila/leyla/layla is a Persian name I wouldn't say the spelling can be attributed to Byron. The variations are due to phonetics in language. Turkish way is Leyla (as Layla would be pronounced Lie-la). In many arabic cultures its spelt Layla. Each spelling is equally valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I'm having a real problem. Me and the wife had a name picked out we both liked. Traditional yet not very popular (just what we wanted).
    Que certain celebrity using it and now it's mentioned in all the mags. Afraid now it's going to become really popular.
    She's due in 7 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Mousewar wrote: »
    I'm having a real problem. Me and the wife had a name picked out we both liked. Traditional yet not very popular (just what we wanted).
    Que certain celebrity using it and now it's mentioned in all the mags. Afraid now it's going to become really popular.
    She's due in 7 weeks.

Bunny?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

She's due in 7 weeks.

I think if you both like the name and are happy with it go for it. Who ever that celebrity is, may not even be on the z list this time next year!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

She's due in 7 weeks.

An 'Irish' so called celebrity??
    Don't think I would let that change my mind.

UK celebrity. Big one. Ubiquitous.

I don't know what celebrity named their baby bunny.

It's not bunny.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Chester? (a la Holly Willoboobie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

pc7 wrote: »
    Chester? (a la Holly Willoboobie)

That was my guess too! Or Bobby (Kimberley Walsh)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

What to we think of Elsie? I heard it recently and thought it was sweet, not sure if its too tied to Frozen though? Main character in that is called Elsa!

<Mod snip - identifying third party>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Elsie is my number one favourite but partner isnt too keen. Thinks of Elsie Tanner from Corrie a few years ago! I think its beautiful..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I like Daireann for a girl but anywhere I see it online, the pronunciation is given as Dar-Rawn. I would have thought without a fada, it would just be pronounced the same as Darren?

Advertisement