Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics

Options
  • 06-05-2005 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Can anyone firstly point me to the list of mandatory experiments, (Am I right in assuming these are the onle exp's wjicj can be asked in section A)

also what topics are you all covering, do you think I willll have enough in

Light
    sound
    heat
    Mechanics
    electron beams
    radioactivity
    particle physics
    electromagnetic induction
    electricity
    static electricity,

that is leaving out
    magnets
    capacitance
    circular motion
    Newtons Gravitaton chapter

and do questions on static electricity ever ever ever come up

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Errant11235

If you have a Lab copy they should be printed on the inside cover. Otherwise they should be at the back of your text book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Mourinho's_love

If you have a Lab copy they should be printed on the inside cover. Otherwise they should be at the back of your text book.

i have neither of those, they are only in the workbook of my textbook, which i cant find!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Straight from my book:

Mechanics:
    • To measure velocity and acceleration.
    • To show that acceleration is proportional to force.
    • To verify the principle of conservation of momentum.
    • To measure g.
    • To verify Boyle’s law.
    • To investigate the laws of equilibrium for a set of coplanar forces.
    • To investigate the relationship between period and length for a simple pendulum and hence calculation of g. (HIGHER LEVEL)

Heat:
    • To construct a calibration curve for a thermometer using the mercury thermometer as a standard.
    • To measure a specific heat capacity.
    • To measure the specific latent heat of fusion of ice.
    • To measure the specific heat of vaporisation of water.

Sound:
    • To measure the speed of sound in air.
    • To investigate the variation of fundamental frequency of a stretched string with length.
    • To investigate the variation of fundamental frequency of a stretched string with tension (HIGHER LEVEL)

Light:
    • To measure the focal length of a concave mirror.
    • To verify Snell’s law of refraction.
    • To measure the refractive index of a liquid or a solid.
    • To measure the focal length of a converging lens.
    • To measure the wavelength of monochromatic light.

Electricity:
    • To verify Joule’s law.
    • To measure the resistivity of the material of a wire.
    • To investigate the variation of resistance of a metallic conductor with temperature.
    • To investigate the variation of resistance of a thermistor with temperature.
    • To investigate variation of current I with potential difference V for:
    o a metallic conductor
    o a filament bulb
    o copper sulphate solution using copper electrodes
    o a semiconductor diode

*Angel* wrote:
    A Lot of Help

Thanks a million seriousely that is great thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Can anyone firstly point me to the list of mandatory experiments, (Am I right in assuming these are the onle exp's wjicj can be asked in section A)

Yep, only the mandatory experiments are asked there.
    also what topics are you all covering, do you think I willll have enough in...

that is leaving out
    magnets
    capacitance
    circular motion
    Newtons Gravitaton chapter

and do questions on static electricity ever ever ever come up
    Are you doing the simple mechanics, as in pressure/work/acceleration etc? I wouldn't if I were you, they are very regular questions. Capacitance is quite a nice chapter to learn I thought, because it's a short chapter but it is examined frequently.

• Advertisement

Yep, only the mandatory experiments are asked there.

Are you doing the simple mechanics, as in pressure/work/acceleration etc? I wouldn't if I were you, they are very regular questions. Capacitance is quite a nice chapter to learn I thought, because it's a short chapter but it is examined frequently.

I am doing the simple mechanics, why are you saying I should'nt.

I am not doing capacitance as it is very rare for a full long question to come up on it and that is exactly what happened last year, I will however learn the basic definitions and equations from that chapter so I am covered for question 5

Sorry I meant to say are you leaving them out cause I didn't see them on your list. And I was suggesting you shouldn't leave them out! GOt distracted as I was typing the reply

Sorry I meant to say are you leaving them out cause I didn't see them on your list. And I was suggesting you shouldn't leave them out! GOt distracted as I was typing the reply

No problem, thanks for your help

I would say if that you should cover circular motion and gravitation, they aren't that bad and if you're doing the mechanics anyway they could be part of that question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

i'm in fifth in the institute year and we've just finished the pyysics course and its not long at all. I do all three sciences and applied maths and can tell you that physics is by far the easiest. What are people talking about leaving out bits and trying to guess the paper for.

• Advertisement

4Xcut wrote:
    i'm in fifth in the institute year and we've just finished the pyysics course and its not long at all. I do all three sciences and applied maths and can tell you that physics is by far the easiest. What are people talking about leaving out bits and trying to guess the paper for.

Ok congrats for you, I found the same thing but other ppl obviously don't find that and if they're struggling a month before the LC they'd probably prefer help to someone boasting...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

4Xcut wrote:

Well done, you. You're going to an expensive school, which your parents are paying for. Just because you are *obviously* smarter than everyone else doesn't mean you have to boast about it. Your post was condescending.

Physics is spelt with a 'H'

----

My physics teacher told us that hookes law and the pendulum stuff is likely for this year. Also, the first 5 experiments often come up in various parts of the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

*cough* Newtons Law of Gravitation *cough* Not been asked yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cessy

well said fuzzy logic,i felt a little brainless reading mr i finished the course"in 11 seconds i ****ing floored it fintan"s comment its not that easy for some.but i think itll be pendulum,heat,c in air and joules.hopefully im on the right track

anyone else got any predictions / insider trading?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

It looks like I'm going to have to pick up Physics in 6th year since I want to do Architecture (a science is required for UCD).

OL Physics should be alright shouldn't it? I won't be counting it for points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

if they require a science they probably want it to a higher c3 level,i would check it if i were you

I wouldn't count on doing well in physics if you are only starting in 5th year. Does app. math count as a science subject? Mabye consider that if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Gileadi wrote:
    if they require a science they probably want it to a higher c3 level,i would check it if i were you

I just checked in the UCD prospectus, and they don't require a C3 higher in any subject, even maths. Architecture & Engineering requires a C3 higher in Maths but that won't be a problem. As far as I know DIT don't require a science at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Yes but you have to do various portfoilios and aptitude tests for DIT AFAIK.

By the way, capacitance is easy to learn, as is Newton's Law of Universal gravitation, I'd learn them both if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Fortinbras'

Yes but you have to do various portfoilios and aptitude tests for DIT AFAIK.

By the way, capacitance is easy to learn, as is Newton's Law of Universal gravitation, I'd learn them both if I were you.

Ok thanks for tip!

i am really hoping for static electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Crap subject, crap teacher, soon to be crap result.

Hey physics isn't a crap subject :mad:

I liked science at junior cert, still liked it in t.y. then we got a crap teacher, and it all went downhill from there.

Don't let some stupid teacher wreck it for you.

It's too late now, i've been forced to go down to pass level - because of my "teacher's" inability to actually teach.

I know the feeling my french teacher is such a bloody sh!te teacher, he never taught us, never gave us homework, he would talk about non-french things in class, he only started a bit of work 2 weeks before the end of school. Everyone in the class has had some kind of grinds, which shouldn't have to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

tbh i dont buy into that crap teacher stuff,if you know you have a bad teacher and you actually want a good grade you know you will just have to go off and read the book and study harder

in languages maybe it could come into play as you have to learn how to speak for orals etc and if your teacher speaks french with a thick country accent or something to that effect you have a problem

when it comes down to it,its you that has to learn it and no matter how good the teacher you wont know it unless you put in the effort,most people i know would agree that you learn the most for the exams when you sit down with a book and the exam papers and do things yourself where the teacher has zero imput

my 2^(1/4)+2^(1/4)+2^(1/4)+2^(1/4) cent

Yes I'll admit that I could've/should've done the work myself, but seriously when you have a teacher that ends up cracking jokes the whole class, it's like wtf are you here for. I do believe that teachers are there to bloody teach, it is there job after all. And I am not the type of person that would have the motivation to study it totally by myself, at least if I was given work to do that he would correct I would do the work.

• Advertisement

Gileadi wrote:
    tbh i dont buy into that crap teacher stuff,if you know you have a bad teacher and you actually want a good grade you know you will just have to go off and read the book and study harder

in languages maybe it could come into play as you have to learn how to speak for orals etc and if your teacher speaks french with a thick country accent or something to that effect you have a problem

when it comes down to it,its you that has to learn it and no matter how good the teacher you wont know it unless you put in the effort,most people i know would agree that you learn the most for the exams when you sit down with a book and the exam papers and do things yourself where the teacher has zero imput

my 2^(1/4)+2^(1/4)+2^(1/4)+2^(1/4) cent

I see your point, and i have put in some work. Admittedly not enough work to honour the honours paper, but what is the point of going home every night and doing homework (especially the maths type questions) then go in the next day and your own "teacher" doesn't know how to do it himself. Not much I can learn there.

There was 6 honours and 5 pass people in our physics class at the start of 5th year, about 20 honours people in the other class. I knew the teacher we had just got was rubbish and I asked to be switched to the other class, I was refused. Last year our teacher spent a whole 40 minute class trying to figure out an ordinary question, ignoring the honours people totally. He is a woeful teacher, and most probably shouldnt be in that proffesion.

Advertisement