Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st rental in Dublin near Harcourt St.

Options
  • 25-10-2012 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all

This is my first post so hopefully I am doing it right.

I hope to start a job with either KPMG or Deloitte next September.

I was just wondering whether any members who were in a similar position could give me advice on what areas of dublin are advisable to rent as I don't know the city well at all.

Any info regarding value for money, distance from work and general safety of neighbourhood would be a great help.

Many thanks!:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

Hi there

Sandymount (DART to Pearse Station)
    Donnybrook (46A bus)
    Raneleagh (Luas to Harcourt street)
    Milltown (Luas)

Cycling or walking from these areas is very doable.

Lots of young professionals in these areas, very safe, good pubs/restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MrPool

Many thanks Spagboll!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

KPMG has two offices in Dublin, one at Stephens Green and one in the IFSC beside Connolly Station. Where you end up would depend on what department you are going to be working in, which in turn would affect where you want to live.

And if your audit, odds are you will rarely see the office anyway so it really doesn't matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Harcourt st. is great, directly beside a luas line so it opens up a big swath of the south side for you. However, if you don't like the daily existential battle for a place to stand that is the morning Dublin rush hour hell, you might think of getting a place within walking distance, such as Harolds Cross or Rathmines/Rathgar.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

moved from work/jobs - not an employment issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

spagboll wrote: »
    Hi there

Donnybrook (46A bus)
    Milltown (Luas)

I would add to this, ballsbridge, rathgar,rathmines, all walkable with plenty of pubs/ restaurants etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Ranelagh is walkable to both deloitte and KPMG within about 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

Ranelagh would be one of the cheaper options, I was viewing some there last year but of the three I had seen, they were all in pretty poor condition, all on average of €800, but 2 bedrooms though. However, just checking there, it mightn't appear so at the moment.
    A quick check on rent.ie (or daft.ie for better search options), on a regular basis will help you find out what kind of quality you can get for price. If you get offered a contract and have enough savings, I would recommend moving out around the July/August mark; not so much to get you settled, but I found while searching last year that some of the best places were available around that time (this may have something to do with a lot of students seeking accommodation for an academic year - I along with someone else was one of them, but unsuccessful :D)

More than anything I want to wish you luck with either of those places; I currently have interviews with them next week and hope to start around the same time as you :)

Any suggestions for somewhere near pwc on spencer dock as i am strongly considering taking their offer?

Spencer dock or the IFSC itself?

if you like apartments. there are also plenty of apartments in across the river in grand canal dock. you could just walk over the Beckett Bridge.

If you prefer houses to aapartments, maybe look at Ringsend, Beggars Bush and Sandymount. Still walkable from Spencer Dock.

Good pubs and restaurants in Beggars bush too.

• Advertisement

liffeylite wrote: »
    Spencer dock or the IFSC itself?

if you like apartments. there are also plenty of apartments in across the river in grand canal dock. you could just walk over the Beckett Bridge.

If you prefer houses to aapartments, maybe look at Ringsend, Beggars Bush and Sandymount. Still walkable from Spencer Dock.

Good pubs and restaurants in Beggars bush too.

Anywhere within 20 mins walk of the pwc office preferably! Thanks for the suggestions!

MrPool wrote: »
    Anywhere within 20 mins walk of the pwc office preferably! Thanks for the suggestions!

Sorry, by Spencer Dock of the IFSC itself, I meant to live there. there are thousands of apartments. but granted you may not want to be so close to work.

I actually think grand canal dock is a great area. nice bars and places to eat. easy access to city centre and a relaxed feel at weekends. new 5 star hotel opens there in feb which will add to the buzz.

All places listed would be twenty mins walk or less:D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Manuva

spagboll wrote: »
    Hi there

Donnybrook (46A bus)
    Milltown (Luas)

If you're starting at Deloitte as a graduate, you might find a lot of the areas listed here to be fairly expensive (i.e > 33% take home pay on rent). Ranelagh isn't as cheap as people let on and there's always ridiculous demand for places there, ditto Donnybrook. Sandymount and Milltown are more affordable but more remote.

If you are on a grad salary, consider maybe somewhere in Dublin 8 or Dublin 1? Rathmines/harolds cross would be a good mix of accessible/safe/value, although all of Dublin 6 seems to be getting more expensive these days. Good luck!

Advertisement