Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes-Benz W210 Owners

Options
  • 18-09-2008 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

I need advice from W210 owners on thier buses, are they really all they're cracked up to be reliablity wise?

Thinking of jumping cars and always had a itch for a Merc, the one i'm looking at is a Late 95 (grits teeth) E230.

Any advice apreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,944 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You sure it's a W210? I thought they didn't start in RHD until '96, but I could very well be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

unkel wrote: »
    You sure it's a W210? I thought they didn't start in RHD until '96, but I could very well be wrong

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mercedes-Benz/E-230/New-type/840216/

The one in question, checked cartell, matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

That's for sale for a Loooooooooooooooooooong time.

What's the worst that could happen provided you don't blow the bank buying it? Avantgarde is the way to go if you can and don't get one with those awful I told you you should have upgraded to leather cloth interiors.

cantdecide wrote: »
    That's for sale for a Loooooooooooooooooooong time.

What's the worst that could happen provided you don't blow the bank buying it? Avantgarde is the way to go if you can and don't get one with those awful I told you you should have upgraded to leather cloth interiors.

Checked wiki, and heres the common fault list for these;

Harmonic Balancer - If the rubber insert of the harmonic balancer pulley, or main crankshaft pulley, delaminates at high velocity, the pulley may grind through the timing chain cover and oil pan, causing several thousand dollars of damage. Owners should inspect the harmonic balancer pulley regularly for signs of rubber deterioration.

Blower Motor Regulator - If this part fails, the climate control fan will not operate faster than approximately 50% power. Mercedes updated the regulator to improve its reliability, but the redesigned regulator requires the installation of a new blower motor -- about $1,000 in parts. The old-style regulator, which is compatible with the existing blower motor, is no longer manufactured. The blower motor regulator may be replaced with the much less expensive W140 S-class blower regulator, provided that the E-class wiring harness is re-attached to the S-class regulator.

Front Sway Bar Drop Links - While not a serious concern, most E-classes end up with a sub 35MPH clicking or rattling sound from the front end. This is usually due to worn out front-end sway-bar drop links. These can easily be replaced by anybody with minor knowledge of vehicle DIY, for no more than around £20.

Front Spring Perches - Some owners have reported rust problems on the front spring perches - the top perches, which hold the tops of the springs for the front suspension. The perches are spot welded to the chassis, and factory coated in a weatherproof mastic to stop them rusting, however in some rare occurrences, water gets behind the mastic causing the perches to rust, and eventually to fail - leading to collapse of the suspension. The car remains controllable. This is a problem that Mercedes USA have acknowledged. The issue is not identifiable without first removing the mastic to check.

Body rust - Some early model year versions of the W210 displayed body rust, notably on European-sold cars. Rust would sometimes appear spontaneously on panels such as doors and roofs on cars less than a year old. In response to this problem, the manufacturer would normally change or repair the affected panels under warranty. Mercedes-Benz has been criticized in the European press for not officially acknowledging this problem. This was due to problems introducing water based paint technology.

Window regulators - The power window regulator, essentially the mechanism that transfers power from the electric motor to the window, has a few plastic parts that can fail after several years causing the power window to stop operating. DIY replacement of a window regulator can be done in about 1-2 hours at a cost of somewhere between $60 and $120 for the part.

I was wrong about the RHD so :)

My BOI was dying to get one new back then and he only got a '96

Anyway, is that a 4 or 5 speed auto? I wouldn't go for the former as fuel consumption would be terrible. Anyway, can you not find the taxi drivers ultimate car, the 250d?

The last one I was in was just a few weeks short of having a million km on the clock :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    I was wrong about the RHD so :)

My BOI was dying to get one new back then and he only got a '96

Anyway, is that a 4 or 5 speed auto? I wouldn't go for the former as fuel consumption would be terrible. Anyway, can you not find the taxi drivers ultimate car, the 250d?

The last one I was in was just a few weeks short of having a million km on the clock :D

BOI?:o

Gonna phone the chap tomorrow and see whats what.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

According to Wikipedia the 5 speed Autos were'nt introduced until 97. I had a quick search but couldn't find anything else to back that up.

Volvoboy, I'd have a really close look for rust (front wings etc.) as the early W210s were apparently plagued with rot, something which Mercedes played down a lot at the time.

Volvoboy wrote: »
    BOI?:o

Oops, meant BIL (brother-in-law) :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Volvoboy wrote: »
    I need advice from W210 owners on thier buses, are they really all they're cracked up to be reliablity wise.

Any advice apreciated:)

The W210 is one of the worse Mercedes ever made in terms of quality and reliability. I would recommend to go for the earlier one - the legendary W124, which is well known as the last Mercedes designed and built by engineers, not by accountants. In this situation you would be looking for the E220 or E220T (Station Wagon). I drive one myself and I can say that it is a lot of car for very little money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

i have a 2001 e200 komp elegence model.
    57k on the clock,
    so far under warranty
    brake switch
    maf sensors
    o2 sensors
    dash board
    fuel sender
    front suspension,
    exhaust manifold

car is running like a dream now. Above was replaced due to selling garage not checking the car in the first placed and a check engine light appeared and was hard to track so a lot of the above was replaced as caution.

dash and fuel sender with wiring loom replaced due to fuel guage not reading correctly.

fantastic motor with a bunch of extras.
    selling in summer 2009 to upgrade to w211

please get dealer to fully check car is up to spec and ready to role to minimise your pocket damage.

Due to above i got another 6 months warranty for the hassel.

• Advertisement

BrookieD wrote: »
    i have a 2001 e200 komp elegence model.
    57k on the clock,
    so far under warranty
    brake switch
    maf sensors
    o2 sensors
    dash board
    fuel sender
    front suspension,
    exhaust manifold

car is running like a dream now. Above was replaced due to selling garage not checking the car in the first placed and a check engine light appeared and was hard to track so a lot of the above was replaced as caution.

dash and fuel sender with wiring loom replaced due to fuel guage not reading correctly.

fantastic motor with a bunch of extras.
    selling in summer 2009 to upgrade to w211

please get dealer to fully check car is up to spec and ready to role to minimise your pocket damage.

Due to above i got another 6 months warranty for the hassel.

Thanks! Even under warranty thats a little bit Irish as the things have gone wrong at little mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

as i say the fuel issue caused the replacement of the wiring loom, dash and fuel sender

CEL on the dash was hard (?) to figure so MAF, 02 sensors and exhaust manifolds replaced as caution.

suspension on front due to car sitting uneven

Mercedes informs me the only reason they replaced so much was due to dealer paying for it.

milage was checked and appears true,
    vin check on a site and all appears ok as i was starting to worry at one stage that car was iffy but it all checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I had an 01 Avantgarde Komp 2.0, and loved it. Only issues I had were belt tensioner pulley bearing got a bit noisy, but warranty covered it.

Lovely car, esp the 5-speed auto........sorry I ever sold it, actually....:o Was cheap to run, too. 28mpg hawking around, 35mpg + on any reasonable run.........the 300d is no lighter, on a more exp fuel, and much, much more tax !

I'd agree with one poster - DO NOT BUY ONE WITH CLOTH SEATS - they just cheapen the experince, and the Avantgarde has much, much nicer black bird's eye maple dash - the brown dash just looks.......fake.

Is inclined to pick up stone chips at front, so can look worse than it actually is......

Down the road, avoid the W211 like the plague, between 02 and 06 - riddled with electronice, transmission and brake problems. I really, really wanted one earlier this year, and found a beaut 220d estate......and local mechanic, ex MB main dealer.....warned me off it. Tbh, I wasn't gambling 6k on a replacement tranny.

Apparently the W211 uses a 'common' siamesed radiator for both engine and as transmission oil cooler..........when it splits, if fills your high-tech auto gearbox with.........anti-freeze. Nice. Real nice...........:eek:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

galwaytt wrote: »
    I had an 01 Avantgarde Komp 2.0,
    is that a 4-cylinder 1.8 litre turbo 200? or was it a 230... or....

2.0 Supercharged.

Classic and Elegance are 1.8 Supercharged, and Avantgarde is 2.0 Supercharged. Very mild, but lovely power delivery. My 1.8t Audi was faster, but the Merc was more sublime........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    2.0 Supercharged.

Classic and Elegance are 1.8 Supercharged, and Avantgarde is 2.0 Supercharged. Very mild, but lovely power delivery. My 1.8t Audi was faster, but the Merc was more sublime........
    ah right - is the 2.0 a 6 cylinder? a neighbour got an E200 with nylon seats and i was surprised to see it was a 4-cylinder 1.8 supercharged (sorry - said turbo in original post)

4-cyl yes. Which I prefer, tbh. I think 6's are best in larger engine sizes. Mind you, iirc, the 230 is a 4-cyl, too.

However, there must be something to this big 4-cyl lark - my current car (see my sig..)...is a 3.0 4-cylinder too :D

Ode To The Motorist

wow - a 4 cylinder 3.0 litre - must be the biggest 4 cyl in a relatively modern car

god bless balancer shafts!

edit: wikipedia says
    The 968's engine was the second-largest 4-cylinder ever offered in a production car, and the most powerful naturally-aspirated 4-cylinder engine ever sold in a production automobile up to that time; it also had the 2nd highest specific output of any engine in production at the time, behind Honda's NSX.

edit2:
    the largest modern non-diesel was the plain 3.2 L (3188 cc) 195 in the 1961 Pontiac Tempest.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I have a 96 w210 230 silver auto riddled with rust. i bought it for 2grand a few months ago and i say i will put another few hundred in it to get it right, chasing rust and spraying wings for the last four weeks,, about to do the droplings and anti roll bushes this weekend.. could do with finding a cheap place to get the drop links though.. no fan working for the aircon and i think the condenser is leaking anyway. should have bought a saab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

stick with toyota, the boggers love em as they go and go forever. Buy a 4.2 vx....unburstable and there's loads of room for sh@ggin in the back as per your u tube video. drop links go on all the those mercs

• Advertisement

Forgot about this, i met the chap last week.

Less said about the car the better, it wasnt for me ( i dont really wanna say too much incase somone else has there eye on it)

But it was riddled with the W210 problems:(

Advertisement