Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Tools!!

Options
  • 01-10-2008 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for some advice on a decent brand of tools for working on my car. I'm not a mechanic so don't need professional quality stuff but dont want junk either. Anyone suggest a brand that strikes a good compromise between quality and cost? :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Draper,good value for diy stuff,just the standard range dont go fot the expert range(dearer).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Halfords professional range is pretty good, liftime warranty on the tools and cheap enough.
    They had a 300 piece kit for 150euro not so long ago, it was very good value.

Craftsman are good if your ever over in the states to bring some back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Mr.David wrote: »
    Hi,

Just looking for some advice on a decent brand of tools for working on my car. I'm not a mechanic so don't need professional quality stuff but dont want junk either. Anyone suggest a brand that strikes a good compromise between quality and cost? :)

I get the draper stuff on discount from an old work contact so thats what I use. I find the tools tough enough and they have a lifetime guarantee. Also their cases are well designed which is essential for me so that I don't lose items. If you ring around draper stockists (not woodies, halfords, or tesco) I'm sure you could get a decent reduction on list prices.

Other than that Snap-on and Facom are too expensive and the tools that come out of Aldi and Lidl are made of chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi,

Yea go for chrome valadium if you can....

As well as a decent socket set, Get a rail of impact sockets with a 1/2 drive and a decent size breaker bar. I got a rail of impact sockets for sub €15 in mc-quallins, these things will definitely outlast me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Buy a "magnetic wand" if you work a engines you'll be glad you have one
    Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You can't go wrong with "Teng" . If you buy a socket or wrench set and loose one you can get a replacement in any good factors, they also have frequent specials on offer and are also guaranteed for life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

You can't go wrong with "Teng" . If you buy a socket or wrench set and loose one you can get a replacement in any good factors, they also have frequent specials on offer and are also guaranteed for life.
    He dosnt want professional/xpensive

thetyreman wrote: »
    He dosnt want professional/xpensive
    Teng do "budget" specials. I would consider Britool and Snap on as being over rated and expensive mechanics tools.

I would rather have something that I can depend on rather than skinning my knuckles. What would he need other than a 10 12 13 17 19 21 24 in socket or combination? .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

What would he need other than a 10 12 13 17 19 21 24 in socket or combination? .

Some torx bits, a good set can make or break a weekend maintenance session.

I agree that its best to buy quality socket sets, spanner sets and screwdrivers. Everything else can be 'draper value' or equivalent.

OP, if you're going to be doing more than oil changes consider getting two torque wrenches a small one for lower torques (3/8" ~30-80nm) and a larger one (1/2" ~60-130). Draper do cheap and chearful ones in protective cases (getting them myself next week:)). Also getting a 450mm extension bar for stuff like difficult wheel nuts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I actually bought the 49 euro ratchet and socket kit in Lidl last time round.

It is very good quality, very comprehensive and I would recommend it to any occasional driveway "mechanic".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yea go for chrome valadium if you can....
    Chrome-Vanadium :)

Not your ornery onager

peasant wrote: »
    I actually bought the 49 euro ratchet and socket kit in Lidl last time round.
    Is it true that if you leave them out of the fridge to long they will melt. :D
    esel wrote: »
    Chrome-Vanadium :)
    "Chrome Vanadium" is a type of alloy steel.

You will also find this stamped on cheap stuff, not necessarily meaning that it is good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"Chrome Vanadium" is a type of alloy steel.
    I was giving the correct spelling, and it is hyphenated btw. Any more ANPR 'news'? :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Pah! Snap-On all the way, think i spent the guts of 3K on tools when i was a panel beater (still have them) Only one breakage thought it would be a great idea to chisel off a chassis leg off a 206 with a €30 Snap-On screwdriver.

All was not lost just ground down the tip till i got her pointy again;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I think we have the Halfords set mentioned about, great bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Hi,

Head down to your local halfords store and pick up the professional ratchet set, brilliant they are and it comes with spanners, 1/2 3/8 1/4 inch sizes. Brilliant for the price, I work with them and another lad I work with uses them at home.

Advertisement