Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A3 - 2008 Refresh

Options
  • 29-09-2008 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I'm looking at getting the 2008 refresh A3 but the problem is that the new specs have not been posted on audi.ie and each dealer I speak to seems to have a slightly different take on what is standard and what is not.

Does anyone know what the std spec for the facelift Ambition is, or have access to an official product guide for 2009?

Cheers,
    F.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'd say he's still on his honey moon, haven't seen him post in a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I'd say he's still on his honey moon, haven't seen him post in a bit!

I'd say so too:p!

OP - aircon is now standard at last.

Other than that I think spec levels are unchanged from before, though they may have improved slightly considering it is now a facelifted model.

The engines are in a lot of cases significantly better on CO2 than pre facelift; the 2.0 TDI or 1.4 TFSI look like the best buys depending on your budget, low CO2 but good performance - if you want diesel then the 1.9 TDI is like a tractor complete with a very lumpy power delivery, certainly not the type of engine you would expect to find in a premium badge hatchback and best avoided, if you want petrol the 1.6 is an antiquated lump and high on CO2 so also best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'd say he's still on his honeymoon, haven't seen him post in a bit!
    Internet access will be severely restricted for the foreseeable future! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

WWW.AUDI.IE as a website in general is very poor the majority of its info is out of date.

No mention what so ever of the update to the A6 even though it has been tested by AUTOCAR.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Audi-A6-2.0-TDIe/235082/

When are companies going to figure out how much people use the Internet to research purchases and learn details before they go shopping.

My god Jan 1st is coming up and people will be ordering now for delivery in Jan yet prices of cars and extras are different in several parts of Audi.ie's website and in the case of extras mispriced with old VRT prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Pictures of the facelifted A3 are up on Audi UK, but as ever, Audi Ireland seem to be well behind the game. I think it's only a couple of weeks since the dealers got their updated options price lists for all the vehicles!

With Audi taking over from MDL it wouldn't surprise me if we see model specs and names coming in line with the UK (like Ford, BMW, Opel), and may eventually see a half decent website.

Think AudiChris is currently in Johannesburg, but we should see the Sage of all things Audi back soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 festizio

I'm definitely in agreement about the website - really poor when compared to the UK version.

E92 - aircon as standard is actually one of the things I've heard conflicting reports about. Very concerning for a feature that otherwise costs €€€€!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'm baaaaack!!! :D

Afaik (although I'm a bit rusty after 3 weeks off), A/C's not standard.
    Leather steeringwheel, alloys, chrome roof rails all standard.
    New design of alloys for all models.
    New front & rear bumpers, LED DRLs on Xenon headlights.
    New paint colours (Meteor Grey etc.), new engines (latest common rail diesels), S-Tronic available with certain engines.

All dealers should know EXACTLY what the specs are at this stage - the info and pricing's been officially released within the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

AudiChris wrote: »

New paint colours (Meteor Grey etc.), new engines (latest common rail diesels), S-Tronic available with certain engines.

All dealers should know EXACTLY what the specs are at this stage - the info and pricing's been officially released within the network.

No standard A/C is just disgraceful on a car costing the bones of €30k new. So much for being a "premium" car. The A3 is poor value for money imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

bazz26 wrote: »
    No standard A/C is just disgraceful on a car costing the bones of €30k new. So much for being a "premium" car. The A3 is poor value for money imo.

I have to agree, any car, never mind a 'premium' car, that does not have it now would be straight off my list.

• Advertisement

Welcome back dude:p!

No air conditioning is inexcusable in this day and age in a premium hatchback, especially when the Golf has had it since 2007. Given the type of climate we have it is also an absolute necessity as it significantly reduces the chances of the windows fogging up, and if they do fog up it defogs them much faster.

Basically what you're paying for is the four rings on the front. You can't say that the Audi has a nicer inside any more, because the Golf VI is getting heaps of praise for having Golf IV like build quality(though I hope that it won't be like the Mk IV Golf and the quality will be skin deep rather than just at the surface) and is getting the lower CO2 engines like the A3 has just received.

Is ESP now standard in the A3?

Oh btw, Audi released the facelifted A3's pricing back in June(the CO2 values for the A3 in their July price guide are for the facelifted model).

I'm not sure why A/C isn't standard, I wish it was.
    As for poor value, I believe it's best in class - I prefer it to the Merc A/B Class, to the 1-Series, to the C30 (am I missing any other competing models?).

If you then compare these cars (any of these "premium" cars) to a top spec Focus, the Focus will win on spec. Beyond that, which car you'll buy will depend on your personal preferences and values.

E92 wrote: »
    Welcome back dude:p!

Thanks buddy, I'm not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow. Take me back to Jo'burg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Chris, the honeymoon here is over, in every sense!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

R.O.R wrote: »
    Pictures of the facelifted A3 are up on Audi UK, but as ever, Audi Ireland seem to be well behind the game. I think it's only a couple of weeks since the dealers got their updated options price lists for all the vehicles!

With Audi taking over from MDL it wouldn't surprise me if we see model specs and names coming in line with the UK (like Ford, BMW, Opel), and may eventually see a half decent website.

Think AudiChris is currently in Johannesburg, but we should see the Sage of all things Audi back soon.

They do seem a fair way ahead in the uk anyway, plenty of people have already taken delivery of new model there.

In general the audi.ie site is usually a few months behind what is actually available. Not sure if we will see model names come into line with the uk, with are in line with the rest of Europe already as far as 'ambition' etc goes, it's the UK that has eht different model names

Thanks buddy, I'm not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow. Take me back to Jo'burg!

I was on holidays in Lanzorote for a "mere" week while you were away and that was bad enough having to come back - so I know exactly where you're coming from.

The worst part of being away like that apart from the first day is having to come back home:D!

welcome back Chris!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Not when you compare the 170TDi A3 to the 170TDi Golf... Then the A3 becomes very good value!

I was on holidays in Lanzorote for a "mere" week while you were away

That explains your "location" in your profile... you haven't changed it back, you in a bit of denial? :p:D

copacetic wrote: »
    They do seem a fair way ahead in the uk anyway, plenty of people have already taken delivery of new model there.

In general the audi.ie site is usually a few months behind what is actually available. Not sure if we will see model names come into line with the uk, with are in line with the rest of Europe already as far as 'ambition' etc goes, it's the UK that has eht different model names

I've known a few customers who've headed up to NI to test drive or view the new models (for example TT 2.0TDi or A3 facelift) before they arrived here.

I would expect audi.ie may become more up-to-date and consistent with the rest of the markets now that Germany have increased their influence.

• Advertisement

Thanks AudiChris. I have to say that no A/C as standard is a disappointment. Compared to the specs on the cabrio and the A4, it leaves the A3 looking like
    pretty poor value.
    No air conditioning is inexcusable in this day and age in a premium hatchback, especially when the Golf has had it since 2007. Given the type of climate we have it is also an absolute necessity as it significantly reduces the chances of the windows fogging up, and if they do fog up it defogs them much faster.

Basically what you're paying for is the four rings on the front. You can't say that the Audi has a nicer inside any more, because the Golf VI is getting heaps of praise for having Golf IV like build quality(though I hope that it won't be like the Mk IV Golf and the quality will be skin deep rather than just at the surface) and is getting the lower CO2 engines like the A3 has just received.

Agreed. And with the new Golf coming out, I'm finding it hard to justify getting an A3. The gap in terms of quality and luxury seems very small now.

festizio wrote: »

Agreed. And with the new Golf coming out, I'm finding it hard to justify getting an A3. The gap in terms of quality and luxury seems very small now.

You should look at the cost per year against the golf. You will likely find that over say 3 years it is the same price, the A3 is more expensive but retains more value so the actual cost is about the same over the 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lol, and we only just talking about you. Welcome back lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Shocking i agree. From what ive heard though is that because Audi benchmark themselves vs bmw 1 series (which also doesnt have a/c as standard) that is why its not standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

RedorDead wrote: »
    Shocking i agree. From what ive heard though is that because Audi benchmark themselves vs bmw 1 series (which also doesnt have a/c as standard) that is why its not standard.

Given the choice I'd buy neither of them. €30k gets you alot of car from other manufacturers these days.

It isn't really the time to buy any car brand new, amazing deals out there on 1-2 year old cars. Especially since the A4 and 3 series have just been replaced. Could easily get a low mileage old model 07/08 A4 or 3 series for example for same price as a new A3.

copacetic wrote: »
    It isn't really the time to buy any car brand new, amazing deals out there on 1-2 year old cars. Especially since the A4 and 3 series have just been replaced. Could easily get a low mileage old model 07/08 A4 or 3 series for example for same price as a new A3.

I think this is the direction I'm going in now. Going to wait until Jan to pick something up and put off buying new until I transfer to the UK with work.

Advertisement