Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Demand for storage / garage space / "driving range"

Options
  • 29-09-2008 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭

Random notion:

I have a number of sheds which currently are storing hay straw and such like items of high value.

Does anyone think there would be a demand for:

a) Secure storage for cars (I know is is more applicable to classic cars)
    b) Garage space. I'm thinking just a bay people could hire out to do various jobs to their car, e.g. service it. I would provide an air line and electricity, but no tools. I'm not sure about a lift, perhaps one that would be controlled by an operator.

If I had the money I'd love to build one of these "road networks" on private land so people could teach their sons/daughers/girlfriends/boyfriends how to drive on a sunday afternoon without reprisals.

The location would be east cork, within 20 miles of the city.

Options welcome. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

While too far for me (Cork). I like the idea of a service bay that you could rent for 1-2 hours. This could have valeting equipment such as a vacuum, tyre pressure, water. I know you can do this at a filling station, but there always seems someone waiting.

Also the ability to do general tinkering, oil changes, etc without the whole neighbourhood watching would be nice!

Not to bust your bubble, but if you offer the shed and people do some sort of repairs there could be the whole insurance liability problem :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

they'd be queuing up for this in Dublin due to the severe lack of space and high price of everything there. but i don't really see it working in cork unless you're really close to the city

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭maidhc

jayok wrote: »
    Not to bust your bubble, but if you offer the shed and people do some sort of repairs there could be the whole insurance liability problem :(

I'm a solicitor, so only too aware of the issues.

I agree with comments re dublin, proximity to the city and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is a company in england who have fully tooled up garage bays for hire for doing your own servicing. They were doing fairly well there a couple of years ago. I havent heard about them since. I would certainly use them for servicing if car was out of warranty etc.
    They had 3 -4 bays per outlet and a manager who is a mechanic on site to offer advice etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I know around mayo there is huge demand for secure dry clean storage for pleasure boats. Im sure cork is the same provided you are near the coast though I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Cloyne area? I'm currently paying 50 a month to store my car so if you could match that with a more secure location, I'd be interested, especially if I could work on the car in there.

This comes up every now and again and people always seem interested, but people are always worried about insurance issues and never seem to commit.

Advertisement