Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BAsement tanking

• 21-07-2014 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We are trying to specify an exterior tanking membrane for a basement. Ground conditions are good. We have narrowed it down to Preprufe or Sikaproof A. Does anyone have any opinions on these products?

Thanks
    Wazzo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Have used preprufe on many projects and it works perfectly once installed correctly. I have never used sikaproof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hexosan

I used Sika proof on my project PM if you want the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Seriously - why are you doing this and not a qualified structural engineer??!! And if you have an engineer on board..why are you even involved in this decision? I've designed basements (from single storey to 3 storey built top down) all over Ireland/UK and not once has the client been involved in specifying tanking...

Do you have an assigner certifier who will sign off on something you've specified yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Seriously - why are you doing this and not a qualified structural engineer??!! And if you have an engineer on board..why are you even involved in this decision? I've designed basements (from single storey to 3 storey built top down) all over Ireland/UK and not once has the client been involved in specifying tanking...

Do you have an assigner certifier who will sign off on something you've specified yourself?

We have a qualified engineer. I suppose we are involved because we are ultimately paying for and living in the building and would like to satisfy ourselves that we are getting a good product. We do have a certifier and are he will ultimately be specifying the product, and these 2 products are contenders.

Given the quality of a lot of the building work that has gone on in Ireland in the last 10 years, it would seem foolish to me not to ask questions or be informed in the materials used in such a big investment.

Beyond that, I have a passion for where I live and I choose to be involved.

Thanks for the input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Great that you have an engineer on board. No doubt he will make the right decision, however it generally boils down to the grade of basement waterproofing required. This is graded from 1-4 (damp carpark to bone dry art storage room and all points in between). Your temporary works and shuttering system will likely dictate whether you go for a cast against face or post applied membrane. Not sure if you have a drained cavity but this again will come back to required grade.

Your question is difficult to answer without any project specific details. I've successfully used both of your above mentioned products in the past for certain applications.

Basements are tricky and need to be given very careful thought - if it goes wrong in the future there really is no getting at it again, so hydrophilic strips, bar spacing, conc grade, construction joint layout, service penetrations, drainage etc etc etc all need careful consideration. If designed and constructed correctly however, as most are, then you'll have a fantastic new space.

Whichever product your design team choose, make sure the supplier will undertake regular pre pour inspections. Some of the cheap guys don't do this and I wouldn't even consider them if that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have suspended deck over my basement. Preprufe used, and works. At work we are big SIKA users, so I would imagine their offering would be a quality one anyway.

But the key is quality of workmanship. I cannot stress that highly enough. No point using good materials and fitting them poorly. You never want to revisit your basement build. Ever.

I'd also externally insulate to a much higher degree next time.

I think basements are a brilliant idea.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Thanks for the responses,
    The basement design is a straightforward rectangular with no penetrations below ground level. The construction will be in reinforced concrete with no cavity. We will be tanking externally.The basement will be inhabited so we have a requirement for it to be of the highest quality.

What makes me think twice about the Sikaproof A (I believe it's the Sikaproof A 08 that has been suggested) is that it only received a BBA cert in December 2013 and the Preprufe has a long track record with a cert going back to 1997 (renewed in 2012).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Thanks for the responses,
    The basement design is a straightforward rectangular with no penetrations below ground level. The construction will be in reinforced concrete with no cavity. We will be tanking externally.The basement will be inhabited so we have a requirement for it to be of the highest quality.

What makes me think twice about the Sikaproof A (I believe it's the Sikaproof A 08 that has been suggested) is that it only received a BBA cert in December 2013 and the Preprufe has a long track record with a cert going back to 1997 (renewed in 2012).
    sika are a larger multinational company.

id be more concerned with who is installing either product and what is the chain of ownership to the product guarentee

Sika offer 20yr guarantee if you take two products i.e slab and walls. They're the only company doing this. They also only have 2 registered contractor who can install the product, they had a rep on site for both the slab & wall installation photographing and inspecting the install to verify it had been done correctly and to their standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That's irrelevant tbh. You have to renew your Cert every 3 years, so it doesn't mean anything. The Cert will stipulate the design life.

As someone who has taken products through from design to BBA approval, it is incredibly rigourous - a league above IAB.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

See post 15 I explained in detail what I used.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91479459#post91479459

Advertisement