Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on unfinished build

• 30-03-2014 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi all, was hoping for a little advice on a house we're looking into at the moment. The house is an unfinished build, and described as needing refurbishment and is "shell finish" throughout. We have been advised that this house has no builders cert or fire cert, and will be bought as it is seen.

What are we to be looking out for here? how best to tackle finishing this off (if we aren't out-bid)? Any advice or experience someone might share would be invaluable and we'd be very grateful.

Thanks

CP

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Has the banks mortgage valuation been done?

My advice would be get an experienced arch tech & engineer to deal with the house specification to completion (particularly thermal detailing before looking at heating systems etc) , open up and inspect existing structure, advise on compliance with building regs & planning matters. And a good solicitor to advise on what the issues there might be if no Certs are available, especially if you ever wanted to sell/move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bubbling

Before thinking of how to finish the building, the following are all critical and if not done properly can lead to big issues for the house owner in the future:

Check:
    - has it planning permission.
    - what the planning permission is for
    - does what is built reflect the planning permission drawings and planning conditions
    - was a commencement notice submitted to the county council building control authority
    - what "detailed construction drawings" and "specification" was the house to be built to
    - does what is built match the detailed construction drawings and specification.

A professionals input is a must before you spend a large amount of money buying a house full of surprises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭bombadil

... as Bubbling says...

Also remember your bank/solicitor will not complete the transaction without an architects cert. This should really be provided by the architect who overseen the project (assuming there was one!). If you check the original planning permission the architects details will be on the planning drawings... I would suggest contacting this architect to see if you can come to a deal on him providing the certs on work carried out so far... and signing off on the completed house once you are finished your works. If he is reluctant be wary that there may be a reason no certs are provided.. this may be just lack of payment by the builder etc.. but check everything. This can be done after you have 'won' the house... as no deposit is binding until contracts are signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bopidyboo

Would be interested to know how this worked out for you Catphish. I am in a slightly similar situation.

Also would be interested in your views BryanF on the following:

My dad got planning permission and started building a house in the early 2000s. The house is roofed, windows and external doors are in and first fix electrical complete. But that's about it.
    There was no plumbing done and no septic tank installed and no plastering done. There were no footpaths or driveway put down. The house has been in its current state for about 8 years.

None of the work that has been done to date has been signed off by anyone as far as I know. But all works carried out have adhered to plans/drawings/planning permissions granted at the time, ie no changes made during construction that weren't allowed in the plans.

I am considering taking up the completion of the build. Is it straightforward if my dad is willing to sign the deeds over to me. Would I, or my dad, need to apply for planning retention before we could complete the build? Or could I commence without this?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Bopidyboo wrote: »
    1. no septic tank installed .......
    2. The house has been in its current state for about 8 years.
    3. None of the work that has been done to date has been signed off by anyone .....
    4. But all works carried out have adhered to plans/drawings/planning permissions granted at the time, ie no changes made during construction that weren't allowed in the plans. ...
    5. Is it straightforward if my dad is willing to sign the deeds over to me.
    6. Would I, or my dad, need to apply for planning retention before we could complete the build? Or could I commence without this?

1. you need to apply for planning for the septic tank
    2. a shell for 8 years - it would be worth getting a survey done and materials checked
    3. as above, get an engineer involved
    4. the works to date may have been built to the original planning permission, BUT as the works are not completed the house is in breach of the orgional planning. engineer/architect will advise whats required based on the permission particulars
    5. no idea - talk to your solicitor
    6. septic tank needs planning and conditions of the original planning need to be reviewed by arch/eng

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bopidyboo

Very much appreciate your response. Thank you.

Advertisement