Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you do if you knew your young child is a psychopath?

• 27-08-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭

Psychopaths are people who are born without the capacity for empathy. They are extremely likely to grow up and commit some horrendous crimes. There is no cure. most psychopaths spend their lives in jail or a mental institution or are loose in society causing devastation to innocent people around them. If you were the parent of a 8 year old who you discovered was secretly torturing animals and displaying all the symptoms of being a psychopath, what would you do?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Difficult to tell. Children are generally lacking in empathy anyway. Selfish little bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Turn them into a dexter style person!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Akrasia wrote: »
    Psychopaths are people who are born without the capacity for empathy. They are extremely likely to grow up and commit some horrendous crimes. There is no cure. most psychopaths spend their lives in jail or a mental institution or are loose in society causing devastation to innocent people around them. If you were the parent of a 8 year old who you discovered was secretly torturing animals and displaying all the symptoms of being a psychopath, what would you do?

Set him on my mother in law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Encourage them to kill only those that got off the justice system.
    Worked for Dexter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'd probably flip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Train him to be a mercenary and send him off doing all cool Jason Bourne shít

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Give him Nurofen! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭looky loo

Send him/her to an Irish school run by priests/nuns, they are great at torturing 8yr olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

lock them in the attic and feed them fish heads its the only responsable thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

If you were the parent of a 8 year old who you discovered was secretly torturing animals and displaying all the symptoms of being a psychopath, what would you do?

I'd explain to the kid that torturing animal is wrong and that if they do it again, I'd flog them.

If I caught them doing it again, I'd flog them.

Pain is an excellent way of altering kids behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Make sure I don't piss them off

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RinkyDinkSlink

I've wondered about this myself many times. I'd like to think that I could 'train' them into appropriate behaviours. Failing that, I'd have them locked up and throw away the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm currently training a child to be a psychopath. He's not mine. I just found him in the backseat of a Volvo in the Ikea carpark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

chokeslam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Love them all the more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

they are literrally unable to experience empathy or guilt. Saw an episode of Law and Order SVU based on a real case of a boy mudering his infant neighbour . Killed child's father was a psychiatrist and knew the guy couldnt be cured so shot him in courthouse. They should be locked up for life or made wear a gps unit with camera necklace so everything they do can be monitored. They will adapt behaviour only if threatened with probable encarceration .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

they are literrally unable to experience empathy or guilt. Saw an episode of Law and Order SVU based on a real case of a boy mudering his infant neighbour . Killed child's father was a psychiatrist and knew the guy couldnt be cured so shot him in courthouse. They should be locked up for life or made wear a gps unit with camera necklace so everything they do can be monitored. They will adapt behaviour only if threatened with probable encarceration .

Got a link to the real case? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

This is what abortion is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RinkyDinkSlink

Saw this, one of my favourite episodes and the reason we were discussing this very subject lately. That little dude was truly fubar, very well played by the young actor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't know, I've no feelings on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    This is what abortion is for.

You mean to tell me we aborted the wrong one? Damn you! Damn you all to hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Train him to be an Irish rugby player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

My son has asd.
    He lacks empathy.
    He only apologises or does the 'right thing' if he knows that he will be punished otherwise - so it is purely selfish.
    He doesn't care if he hurts someone.
    He doesn't care about anything but himself.
    What do I do about it?
    Try to teach him empathy of course, and hope for the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

My son has asd.!

what is ASD?

Bowlardo wrote: »
    what is ASD?

Autism spectrum disorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I'd bolt him/her up against the wall in the basement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

You can't really compare ASD and being a psychopath or sociopath.

And I would totally try and make them into an anti-hero, like Christian Slater in Heathers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

CorkMan wrote: »
    I'd bolt him/her up against the wall in the basement.

That's playing right into their hands. That's what they want you to do. Then when they get loose, revenge will be all the more sweet.

Don't be a fool man. Send them to school as normal and then when they go on a rampage make millions from the 'We Need To Talk About Kevin' style memoirs you can write.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Pack him off to be educated at Columbine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I suppose I'd have to institutionalise them If they were dangerous. However technically a child under 18 can't be diagnosed officially with psychopathy.
    most psychopaths spend their lives in jail or a mental institution

Not true, 2% to 2.5% of the population are estimated to be sociopaths, most are not murderers, they just have no conscience and use people to get ahead whatever the cost on others. Many are very successful in business because of this. Most will never be "outed" or arrested of any crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Ditch wrote: »
    Pack him off to be educated at Columbine :)

Too much dude.

You can't really compare ASD and being a psychopath or sociopath.

And I would totally try and make them into an anti-hero, like Christian Slater in Heathers.

Is it or is it not relevant that my son lacks empathy?
    What prey tell is the difference in technical terms?
    I have experience of the exact thing the op is referring to, and stating how I deal with it.
    The disorder is different, but both display this empathy deficit.
    What is your reason for believing that the two cannot be compared?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

If I could muster the ability to giv a **** I'd be so Proud of the little tyke.

I'd probably teach him how to pass himself off in 'normal' society so people wont realise he's different until he Shanks them

then I'd teach him the importance of a Deep grave and a good alibi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I suppose I'd have to institutionalise them If they were dangerous. However technically a child under 18 can't be diagnosed officially with psychopathy.

Not true, 2% to 2.5% of the population are estimated to be sociopaths, most are not murderers, they just have no conscience and use people to get ahead whatever the cost on others. Many are very successful in business because of this. Most will never be "outed" or arrested of any crime.
    sounds like a lot of Irish politicians are sociopaths;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I have experience of the exact thing the op is referring to, and stating how I deal with it.

I think the difference is sociopaths know what is right or wrong, they just don't care.

Some people on the autistic spectrum may simply be unable to comprehend how exactly their behavior effects others and why.

Imo big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

This is a really interesting read about psychopaths.

Generally psychopaths cause the most trouble in prisons even though they are the minority of the prison population

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychopath-Test-Jon-Ronson/dp/0330492268

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

If he's a psychopath that doesn't mean he's doomed to a life of crime. He might just be a bit of a cun7 when he's older

I think the difference is sociopaths know what is right or wrong, they just don't care.

Some people on the autistic spectrum may simply be unable to comprehend how exactly their behavior effects others and why.

Imo big difference.

Different how?
    A sociopath may 'know' right from wrong, but it's not their 'fault' that they don't care.
    If they are just made that way, and someone with asd is made the way they are.
    Neither is better or worse.
    Both are disorders.
    One is pc, and one isn't, that is all.

Anyway, I was only refering to the empathy aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Here, "prey" to tell you, is some information. First off, ASD is as the name suggests a spectrum of disorders, meaning they're one or the other; Asperger's, autism or atypical autism. Psychopathy is not in that list. Psychopathy is mostly characterised by how they enjoy making other people miserable, not a lack of empathy like a lot of people think. It's not a case of they don't know or understand, they DO understand, but they like it. Psychopaths are manipulative, cunning and usually far smarter than your average person (Note, smarter does not mean they can look at toothpicks on the floor and instantly know how many there are). They're egocentric, sadistic and actively enjoy committing crime. "Prey" tell, does any of that sound like your son?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

My son has asd.
    He lacks empathy.
    He only apologises or does the 'right thing' if he knows that he will be punished otherwise - so it is purely selfish.
    He doesn't care if he hurts someone.
    He doesn't care about anything but himself.
    What do I do about it?
    Try to teach him empathy of course, and hope for the best!
    Big difference between autism and psychopathy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

My mother asked the same question and now she's dead hahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Put him down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

hinault wrote: »
    I'd explain to the kid that torturing animal is wrong and that if they do it again, I'd flog them.

If I caught them doing it again, I'd flog them.

Pain is an excellent way of altering kids behaviour.

Yea, I'd be sick to my stomach if my child was torturing animals, I'd kick him hard.

I'm sure lots of psychopaths grow up normal if they are from a loving family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The funny thing is if you tied a breeze block around his neck and f**ked him in the canal, they'd call you a psychopath :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm amused at how you used "extremely likely" and "most psychopaths". It's simply not true that most psychopaths commit murder, just because they don't feel empathy doesn't make them want to kill people. In fact alot of CEO's and such are psychopaths who don't care who gets in their way so they get the job done...I'd put my kid to work in business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

As i love my kids more than my own life i would protect them at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I'd be more worried with finding out I have a young child :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement