Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock up shed

Options
  • 21-07-2014 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Didn't know where to pot this so thought this would be the best forum for thi thread.

Ive a large shed with swinging outward metal doors and locked with a silly pad lock. The sheds actually my fathers but I've all my tools,boats and lawnmower stored in it and i want to secure it a lot better than whats on it now. Can someone suggest something that will secure this shed for me because I've getting worried lately as there was a few people calling and snooping about the area And would hate to think all my stuff would go missing. Is there maybe any heavy duty locks on the market that cant be cut or broken and maybe i could put 2 or 3 of them on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

You can get locks that cannot be cut with a saw or bolt cutters but there not cheap. The other problem is that the Hasp then becomes the weak point unless you change that also. Best thing to do is to call to a good locksmiths tell them your problem and then they will recommend something good for you. It would help if you brought a photo of the doors with you as a picture saves a thousand words.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

sky6 wrote: »
    You can get locks that cannot be cut with a saw or bolt cutters but there not cheap. The other problem is that the Hasp then becomes the weak point unless you change that also. Best thing to do is to call to a good locksmiths tell them your problem and then they will recommend something good for you. It would help if you brought a photo of the doors with you as a picture saves a thousand words.

How much when you say ain't cheap. All I've seen online go up to 40£ and I wouldn't say that's expensive.

Also, what's a hasp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

newbie2013 wrote: »

Also, what's a hasp?

The hasp is the hinged bit that you put the lock onto.

Hasps and deadbolts can be the weak point if they can be unscrewed or prised off the door

The hasp is the hinged bit that you put the lock onto.

Hasps and deadbolts can be the weak point if they can be unscrewed or prised off the door

They are welded on. Ill get pics tomorrow to show exactly how it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

A good welder/gate maker would have loads of different ideas,
    If someone wants to get in they will, what you need to do is make it difficult for them to get in, hopefully they'll move onto an easier shed to get in,

• Advertisement

[quote="sky6;91376844. It would help if you brought a photo of the doors with you as a picture saves a thousand words.[/quote]

Here's pic in attachment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

You can get Hasps also can cannot be cut with Bolt Cutters or Saw. But really looking at the picture anyone could get in just using a Snips on the Corrugated sheeting. Also be aware that you're Tools will rust very quickly in a shed. I had a cavity Blockans Plastered Garage with Insulated Wooden roof and I still had to throw out good Tools after a few years because they rusted up.
    Best to build a few Wooden Boxes, insulate and store the Tools in there.
    Maybe a few Security Camera stickers along with an Alarm might be a better solution that spending money on the Lock and hasp.

Advertisement