Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New build - comparing 2 architects

Options
  • 21-07-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

We're in the early stages of planning a house and have vetted a couple of architect firms, 2 of which we like.

Our build is not going to be straightforward, the site is tight and there is an existing house which will need to be adapted in order to create space for the new one - all of which is coming under our budget. This issue at the moment is that we're not sure yet how much square footage we can fit in ourselves, and how much the adaptations will cost to the original house - if our house will be too expensive or too small, or if it doesn't fit our needs, we will not go ahead with the build.

My current plan is to proceed with a feasibility study from Architect 1 which I will get among other things, a budget, outline plans for a couple of different solutions and 3D drawings of the solutions for the existing house. This will cost us a fee which is not unreasonable I think and should be enough information to know whether or not this project is a runner for us. Architect 2 will propose a cost for a similar task over the next couple of weeks and I'm thinking of proceeding with him for the same type of task.

Do you think think this is the right way to proceed? I'm afraid this will be a waste of money but tbh I know that choosing the right architect is paramount to the success of our project given how tricky it might be! I think this should give us a good indication of the type of ideas/solutions they are going to propose, how easy they are to work with, and it will also give us a couple of different possible solutions for our site.

I'd love to hear your suggestions and feedback!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    Hi there,

We're in the early stages of planning a house and have vetted a couple of architect firms, 2 of which we like.

Our build is not going to be straightforward, the site is tight and there is an existing house which will need to be adapted in order to create space for the new one - all of which is coming under our budget. This issue at the moment is that we're not sure yet how much square footage we can fit in ourselves, and how much the adaptations will cost to the original house - if our house will be too expensive or too small, or if it doesn't fit our needs, we will not go ahead with the build.

My current plan is to proceed with a feasibility study from Architect 1 which I will get among other things, a budget, outline plans for a couple of different solutions and 3D drawings of the solutions for the existing house. This will cost us a fee which is not unreasonable I think and should be enough information to know whether or not this project is a runner for us. Architect 2 will propose a cost for a similar task over the next couple of weeks and I'm thinking of proceeding with him for the same type of task.

Do you think think this is the right way to proceed? I'm afraid this will be a waste of money but tbh I know that choosing the right architect is paramount to the success of our project given how tricky it might be! I think this should give us a good indication of the type of ideas/solutions they are going to propose, how easy they are to work with, and it will also give us a couple of different possible solutions for our site.

I'd love to hear your suggestions and feedback!
    Thanks

if you are happy to pay for two proposals, I think it's a good idea. Quite apart from anything else one may come up with a solution which trumps the other.
    And I'd much rather spend some fees now rather than discover issues after a build starts on site costing much bigger numbers.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Good idea in principle. It may be a good idea, before going down this road, to get a fee proposal from each for the entire project, start to finish, to see how they compare?

What if Arch No. 1 produces a great design, but his/her fees for the entire project are twice that of Arch No. 2's fees?

You can't really then give Arch No. 2 the job and give him/her Arch No. 1's design and say off ya go with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

DOCARCH wrote: »
    What if Arch No. 1 produces a great design, but his/her fees for the entire project are twice that of Arch No. 2's fees?

Then Architect no 1 is best value. It is completely irrelevant what no 2 is offering if s/he is not giving you what you want. You don't save money by buying something you don't actually want.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

4Sticks wrote: »
    Then Architect no 1 is best value. It is completely irrelevant what no 2 is offering if s/he is not giving you what you want. You don't save money by buying something you don't actually want.

Agree 100%...but as you are probably aware, for many people it comes down to who is the cheapest!

Agree 100%...but as you are probably aware, for many people it comes down to who is the cheapest!

Which is why we have this forum.
    To offer another point of view. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Thanks for all the replies. I'm so new to all this so it's really a steep learning curve and not sure yet 'what the done thing' is!

For me, having an architect who has a keen sense of imagination and who can think outside the box is paramount - and I do believe you get what you pay for when it comes to quality of design. I think this should become apparent with some outline plans where we can compare like for like.

I've been referring to this task as a 'feasibility study', i.e. just enough work for us to establish what can get for our budget and whether it's worth investing in. What does a proposal normally entail?

Also, I expect that these outline plans will be what we will bring to our pre-planning meeting. Is it standard for an architect to attend also?

Thanks a mil

Good idea in principle. It may be a good idea, before going down this road, to get a fee proposal from each for the entire project, start to finish, to see how they compare?

How do you get a fee proposal? I think (have yet to confirm?) that Architect 2 works off a percentage fee. How is this calculated if the build size/type hasn't yet been established?

It would usualy entail hand drawn skteches - to scale with dimensions. Not usually CAD drawings.
    Some architects are very skillful with sketchup so a simple 3D coloured model can sometimes be offered.
    You must ask your architect to attend pre planning - that is vital.

How do you get a fee proposal? I think (have yet to confirm?) that Architect 2 works off a percentage fee. How is this calculated if the build size/type hasn't yet been established?

Time charge. Can vary between €750-1500 depending on how much input is made. If you see that fee creeping up ask if it can be offset against the total fee should you proceed.

4Sticks wrote: »
    Time charge. Can vary between €750-1500 depending on how much input is made. If you see that fee creeping up ask if it can be offset against the total fee should you proceed.

Agreed...any fees paid now for an initial design should really be deducted from overall fees.

• Advertisement

Sorry I'm a bit confused - a fee proposal will allow him/her to estimate the TOTAL cost even if they will ultimately charge a percentage of the build cost?

Edit: Is there anything I should be asking for specifically at this stage of the game? Outputs of the feasibility study/fee proposal? Anything which will further help me compare the companies?

I would simply ask each architect what their fees would be taking the project from start to completion.

Also bear in mind, if you are building a new house, that you will need to appoint a design and assigned certifier (which can be the architect, if they are registered). Important to clarify if this is included or excluded in overall fees.

In addition, from a Health & Safety point of view, you will need to appoint a Project Supervisor Design Process (PSDP)...again, important to clarify if this is included or excluded in overall fees.

Advertisement