Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contract with Builder for Extension

• 21-07-2014 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I am about to embark on building an extension and want to put some form of contract in place between ourselves and the builder. Has anyone used a contract and if so which one? I have seen that the RIAI has one but is there anything more straight forward and less complicated than this? Or should we go ahead with RIAI contract. In addition who normally puts the contract together?

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

I am about to embark on building an extension and want to put some form of contract in place between ourselves and the builder. Has anyone used a contract and if so which one? I have seen that the RIAI has one but is there anything more straight forward and less complicated than this? Or should we go ahead with RIAI contract. In addition who normally puts the contract together?

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

RIAI has three contracts and they are the standard forms used in the industry so are tried and tested and fit for purpose. You do need to make ammendments to the wordings and strike out certain clauses depending on what you wish to achieve in terms of risk allocation.

The pink SF88 is for smaller type contract values. Its a straight forward contract but I personally dont like it as its very loose and contains no provision for nominations but it does do what it says on the tin. ie contract for small works

Blues form is the main form contract for drawings and spec jobs where no bill of quantities is involved. Yellow form is the same as blue apart from the inclusion of a bill of quantities as a contract document (no real need to use yellow in todays market unless there is a lot of unknown entities in the project, as it would be subject to remeasure)

Architect/ Design team leader is usually the person who arranges for the contract to be drawn up on projects.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just to add, there is a fourth RIAI form of contract, the 'White' form of contract...it is written in simple/plain language.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 heatherstreasur

thanks for your replies.

docarch, what is the white form usually used for?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

thanks for your replies.

docarch, what is the white form usually used for?

Pretty much anything, but in the main for house extensions/new houses.

Advertisement