Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Help After Getting Rid Of Sky

Options
  • 02-11-2014 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi.

I've had Sky TV for many years and finally got fed up of the adverts and cancelled it.

I still have the SKY HD Box and the dish and currently receive only BBC 1 and BBC 2 on channel 141 and 142.

Is there a way I can use this box to receive other free-to-air channels like the RTE HD channels (or even SD channels)?

Should I just remove the whole lot and buy a Saorview box?

I'm confused as to what the options are now if I don't want to sign up for another TV subscription. Any suggestions or help are appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Have you a saorview TV and aerial? If yes, that would take care of your Irish channels.

You could then get a satellite box that could bring in the free channels.

If your TV hasn't a saorview tuner, you could consider the likes of this combo box from satellite.ie. You will still need an aerial though - RTE is not available on satellite without a sky sub. (Unless you put in a saorsat system of course but an aerial system would be far cheaper and has other advantages including the few additional channels you would receive.)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭rb25

Avns1s wrote: »
    Have you a saorview TV and aerial? If yes, that would take care of your Irish channels.

The TV is not a Saorview TV and I don't have an aerial yet. Is there any aerial I can get that could be attached to the existing dish (instead of having to install another thing on the outside of the house)?

Could I then use the existing Sky box and remote with all the channels tuned into numbers 101 upwards? I'm trying to set this up for an older person so I want to have them use the existing remote as much as possible to avoid further confusion.

rb25 wrote: »
    The TV is not a Saorview TV and I don't have an aerial yet. Is there any aerial I can get that could be attached to the existing dish (instead of having to install another thing on the outside of the house)?
    No. You will need an aerial either outside or in your attic depending on your location.
    Could I then use the existing Sky box and remote with all the channels tuned into numbers 101 upwards? I'm trying to set this up for an older person so I want to have them use the existing remote as much as possible to avoid further confusion.
    No. It cant be reprogrammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

what you need is a sky uk card even a very old one will work, this will give you all the free to air channels ie bbc1 101, 2 102 etc. You have to keep the card in the box. look on flea bay.

swoofer wrote: »
    what you need is a sky uk card even a very old one will work, this will give you all the free to air channels ie bbc1 101, 2 102 etc. You have to keep the card in the box. look on flea bay.

It still wont get the OP the Irish channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭rb25

Avns1s wrote: »
    It still wont get the OP the Irish channels.

Sounds like I should just throw out the Sky box and go with the Saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Sounds like I should just throw out the Sky box and go with the Saorview?

That's your best bet. You can put the channels in sequence of your preference then too ie no blank blue screens as with a sky box when you're flicking through stations

Don't throw the box out though. You'll get a few euros for it on adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭newbie11

Can these channels then be recorded or series linked on a sky+HD box?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

no, these features are not free!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

no, these features are not free!!

Well, not quite true. I got a uk fta card with sky+ features for a one off payment from a guy on here, he sells them on Adverts too. It's uk channels only, no irish channels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement