Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dials not Working

Options
  • 01-05-2008 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I turned on my car (BMW 316i 1999) today and the four dials, speedo,rev counter,temp and fuel are all stuck at the bottom, Like the car wasn't turned on at all. I turned the car off and back on again same problem. Is it just a loose wire or something? Is it a hard fix? All the indicator light, headlight every thing else is working fine just the dials are broken. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Have you checked your fuses; could be one blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

Fey! wrote: »
    Have you checked your fuses; could be one blown.
    How do I do that? Sorry I know very little about servicing cars.

EDIT: Found the fuse box.
    I went to turn the car on and the dials are back working again. Dunno what was wrong maybe just the heat or something. Anyway its all working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Is everything else in the car powering up ok?

Are any of the lights on the cluster coming on?

Its like there is now power going to the cluster...

I presume your car is an E46... open the glove box, you'll see 2 white levers in the roof of the glove box, turn these 1/4 of a turn and the fuse panel should drop down... You'll need to identify the fuse(s) which feed the instrument cluster (IKE as BMW call it). When you find the correct fuse(s) you'll need to pull it with the red pullers provided and check the wire inside is not broken.

Has anyone been messing with the electronics in the car recently? ie fitting a car radio ect??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Probably;The fella clocking it didn't put it back together properly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

biggus wrote: »
    Probably;The fella clocking it didn't put it back together properly

Ah, the helpful brigade/welcome wagon has arrived! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement