Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

uk V5/V5c question?

Options
  • 30-04-2008 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Are the V5 and the V5c document the one and the same. Going to be importing a car from the uk and just wanted to make sure. (Sorry for not reading through the huge thread on this subject).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

V5 is the one you want.Dunno what the V5C is? It's similar to licencing cert here.You need it to VRT the car here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yeah that's the one I want. Its listed on the revenue's site as V5C I thought they were the same but had to be sure.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

I posted a similar question last week but didn't get much info back. From what I understand the V5C replaced the V5 around 2004/2005 to conform to European standards. So if the car you're purchasing was registered or changed hands after 2004 you will get a V5C.

The V5C is better to get as it has a section for exporting the car. This way the previous owner sends off that section and you take the rest of the Cert. You can then register the car straight away when you get it home.

If the car has a V5 it has to be sent to the DVLA and you have to wait about 6weeks for them to send it to you. This is going to push you close to the 1st of July when the VRT will be based on Co2 and will probably be more expensive.

Advertisement