Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Old car phone holders/chargers

Options
  • 30-04-2008 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I recently purchased a lovely 04 Passat with a nokia mobile phone holder/charger. My phone doesn't fit it, it's only new (N73) and I don't want to get a new one. To be honest I don't kow what model would fit it. Anyway can you tell me if it's possible to replace the holder to hold my phone or should I just get it taken out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I recently purchased a lovely 04 Passat with a nokia mobile phone holder/charger. My phone doesn't fit it, it's only new (N73) and I don't want to get a new one. To be honest I don't kow what model would fit it. Anyway can you tell me if it's possible to replace the holder to hold my phone or should I just get it taken out.

The cradle for the N73 is a "passive" holder - i.e. it doesn't connect to the actual phone kit or charge the phone. Connection to the phone kit is via Bluetooth.

If you have a Bluetooth kit then just remove the cradle and attach via bluetooth. If it's non Bluetooth then you are better off putting a new Kit in the car - probably a Parrot would be the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You should keep the old cradle and find an old cheap Nokia on ebay to suit it. Not many would be interested in robbing a four year old mobile these days if you forget to take it out of your car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Blackthorn Man

Ye sounds good RTDH but it would be a disaster changing the sim card from my own to the 'car phone' each time.

What kind of devices are available for cars now other than the ear piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

It may well be a CK-7W Nokia handsfree kit in the car already, which is a wired and bluetooth hands free kit, but the previous owner was using the hardwired part of it.

Is there a round grey Dial anywhere visible on or around the dashboard? If there is it's a CK-7W which means you just need to google it on how to pair it to your phone, fairly straight forward just involves a combo of key turns and button pushes. You might be lucky.

• Advertisement

What kind of devices are available for cars now other than the ear piece.

www.parrot.biz

Probably the best range of Bluetooth only integrated systems. Although the new Nokia (CK15 I think) looks quite good.

I don't think there is, I'll check later. I meant tio say that it's a nokia hands free kit. The holder has a circular 'pin' shape near the top and 2 protruding connectors on the bottom sperated from each other. Thanks for your help by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

If its in the car since new then unlikely to be a CK7W. More likely a CARK 91, compatible with the popular business phones 6319i, 6610 etc.

http://www.avrmobiles.co.uk/nokia_standard_car_kits.html

may help you indentify.

The cradle that is in the car is for a Nokia 6300. Discontinued model now.

Best off with removing the full kit and installing a new one.

Thanks R.O.R. thats the one ok, I'll just get it removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yup, what ROR said. you need a new unit. From what I remember, the wiring that's tapped into the car is the same on both kits, so it's a case of unplugging the old unit and replacing it with a CK7-W box instead. Nokia installers will insist on removing the old wiring and putting in the new ones for warranty reasons (?)

Advertisement