Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much chocolate / sweets should a kid be eating in a week?

Options
  • 09-04-2014 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭

Just posting this here as people on this forum tend to value clinical trials over pseudo science.

Just wondering are there any clinical trials or studies which provides guidelines on how much sweets / chocolate a child should be eating in a week?

My kid is eating way too much and I want to go to the wife with some good ammo on this.
    Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Just posting this here as people on this forum tend to value clinical trials over pseudo science.

Just wondering are there any clinical trials or studies which provides guidelines on how much sweets / chocolate a child should be eating in a week?

My kid is eating way too much and I want to go to the wife with some good ammo on this.
    Thanks

I would start with zero!!

No wonder the kids today are a gang of fattys.....

if you want to give them a treat once a week then pick a healthy one but make sure they earned it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

More over lent, just for payback for when their friends discuss the conformation/communion money train.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

my three dont eat it very often, though a couple of biscuits after dinner as "something nice" doesnt hurt. They dont have crisps overly much either and no fizzy/sugary drinks at all. As a treat it doesnt hurt every now and then but no way would it become a regular thing.

And why is this in atheism and agnoticism forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

silverbolt wrote: »
    It's boring having every thread to remind ourselves about the harm of religion. How about the harm of chocolate?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Ask your dentist. Had a chat with mine about children's teeth and got stern warnings about juices, dried fruit and treats. I'm holding off on chocolate, sweets and crisps as long as possible with mine. A great treat here would be a yoghurt or homemade crumble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

It's boring having every thread to remind ourselves about the harm of religion. How about the harm of chocolate?

The answer is education about food in general.
    Don't lecture on how bad sweets are - lecture on good mango is.
    If that doesn't work educate on how certain foods are prepared.
    If that doesn't chose a role model of the child and ask what diet that person has etc. etc.
    It's hard to ban sweets (Easters coming up and we got just some chocolate eggs in the door today from friends) but the important is the little guy loves raw fruits and vegetables because that was the norm as he was growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

I don't have a scientific answer for you but I don't like Little Kiwi having much sweets/crisps/processed foods. I try to stick to natural foods and ingredients as much as possible, although I am in no way a food nazi. As far as sweets go, I particularly dislike things like jellies and lollipops. If he is going to have a treat I prefer decent quality chocolate. I like baking, so a daily treat for Little Kiwi would be a bun/brownie/biscuit/dessert that is home made. He would get something like a kinder suprise or ice cream once or twice a week. I really hate when we go to friends/family and they bring out ridiculous amounts of bars, jellies, crisps etc. I don't mind if it's a birthday party but not just an ordinary day. He is allowed fizzy drinks only if we are out for a meal with him. Milk or water as drinks and orange/apple juice as a treat every now and then. I don't think children should eat crap, but I also think 'food experts' who tell you to cut out everything that tastes nice are ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Thanks
    You won't really find clinical trials on such a wide topic I'd have thought. There's over a million articles on google scholar on "children + nutrition" but they're so focused as to be almost useless for general advice.
    Kids would have a necessary calorie intake and a fairly large nutrient requirement. Once they're met it doesn't really matter where you get it from. You could probably feed them chocolate, protein concentrate and a broad spectrum vitamin and mineral supplement and they'd be healthyish other than some gi issues... The problem comes from kids having three square meals a day which meet the above needs, and then a bunch of sweets on top of it all.

Do you have two? One gets no sweets ever, one gets as much as they like. Report back when they're eighteen and see which turns out best. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The rules chez robindch have evolved a little over the years -- the current ones are that (a) there's no dessert or sweets during Monday to Thursday; (b) Friday, Saturday and Sunday, she can have one small dessert with dinner, if one is offered; it's often shared with me; (c) she can have one sweet treat from a shop on Sunday *or* a book or magazine on Saturday or Sunday (she usually goes for the latter); (d) excellent questions are rewarded with a deferred piece of chocolate, while excellent questions that I can't answer are rewarded with an immediate piece of chocolate and a later bit of joint googling. Coke once a month, if she remembers (unless there are other kids present drinking soft drinks in which case, she can't realistically be excluded). Any time that we do have random chocolate floating about, she's expected to divide it up and share it with everybody equally (and usually does that quite well).

I haven't noticed that Snowflake is all that receptive to dietary research on sweeties, and tends to ignore it. Hence the rules.

I will willingly strangle shop assistants, restaurant staff and self-appointed do-gooders who give her lollipops, crisps, massive helpings of ice-cream and other crap without asking me first.

• Site Banned Posts: 4 55 Glorious Misteries

at what age should you start introducing children to biscuits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,133 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There isn't any amount that they should be eating. Zero is fine, nutritionally.

How much is too much? Depends on the age and weight of the child, but also depends on what else the child is eating. If they are eating so much confectionery as to depress their appetite for more nutritious foods, that's a huge problem. If they are eating to make up deficiencies in the diet, that's a huge problem.

Beyond that, this is not so much about immediate damage to health as about inculcating (indoctrinating!) good eating habits. You want your kids to eat (and enjoy) fruit, fresh vegetables, etc. Ideally their need for sugar would be primarily met by fruit, and their need for fat by dairy produce and vegetable oils. If they're getting signficant amounts of sugar and fat from, e.g., chocolate, then either (a) they're getting too much sugar and fat overall, or (b) they're getting a reasonable amount, but not eating nearly enough fresh fruit, dairy produce, etc, which will establish habits that will cause them problems later in life.

The notion of using chocolate as a reward is good in the sense that it establishes chocolate as something occasional, exceptional, requiring justification. But it could have the danger that it "moralises" food - i.e. we develop the habit of eating foods to express moral judgments about ourselves ("I've been virtuous so I deserve chocolate"), and this lays the ground for destructive eating habits, and indeed eating disorders, later in life (because we subconsciously associate responsible eating habits with low self-esteem). So a ritual that, e.g, we only have chocolate on Sundays and bank holidays, we only have cake when visitors come, or whatever, might be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

The answer is zero. Nobody should be eating high-sugar products if they want to remain sane and healthy. Especially not children and especially not nutrient-lacking foods.

If you're asking about government guidelines, I wouldn't be trusting that at all either.

Any amount of high-sugar products whatsoever is too much, but if you truly believe it's unavoidable (and I know it can be difficult unfortunately) then keep it to the bare minimum as best you can. Googling "Children daily sugar amount" will give you the response you're seeking, I would imagine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

What's right and what actually happens tend to be two different things in my experience, particularly with grandparents entering the fray, and at Easter when Jesus sacrificed himself so kids could stuff their faces with chocolate eggs.

My two girls are poles apart. Eldest (14) is diet concious, sporty and doesn't much like sweets. Easter eggs tend to get binned or go to the charity shop, and her only vices among the salads, lean meat, tuna and green tea are the occasional coffee or hot chocolate. Youngest is a slovenly wench, and would sit around all day eating junk food and watching honey boo boo on the box given half a chance. The trick is not to give her the chance, which means trying to limit the amount of crap that comes into the house. Exercise is the other side of the coin, so we got her a dog that needs a lot of walking, and both girls do a a number of extra curricular sports.

Getting the kids to cook meals from scratch also helps, in that starting from fresh ingredients avoids all the hidden calories in processed foods, and they'll invariably eat what they cook themselves. We also grow a lot of fruit and veg, which also adds to the fun of this process, though even with all this, it is still an ongoing struggle to keep the family (myself and herself included) in the healthy BMI zone, with regular excursions into the fat zone in the winter.

at what age should you start introducing children to biscuits?
    Could do it during the baby-cooking classes in our atheist-controlled schools.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

nc19 wrote: »
    I would start with zero!!

No wonder the kids today are a gang of fattys.....

if you want to give them a treat once a week then pick a healthy one but make sure they earned it
    And a bath once a month if they need or not! :pac:

Fat kids are a pet hate of my wife and I, with the ire firmly directed at the parents who allow it to happen. That said, I have no problem with giving my kids treats as long as they eat proper food at proper food times and continue to play/exercise like duracell bunnies all day long.

If I thought for a microsecond my kids were getting chunky/slovenly the regime would change overnight. But right now I don't see the need to withhold treats because other people's kids are fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We try to not give the kids treats during the week (which becomes very difficult because of the ridiculous irish tradition that every visitor has to come with a mountain of sweets for the kids)

My little boy came home with a cream egg from his preschool yesterday. There's probably 200% of his rda of sugar in that one thing (we made him share it with his sister)

At weekends we have just about given up trying to convince Granny to stop stuffing them full of rubbish. It's like she has an uncontrollable impulse to see them eating. She's a conveyor belt of all kinds of confectionary all categorised so that she can lie to herself that she hasn't given them any 'rubbish'

It's just a tiny lollipop
    But these are 'natural jellies'
    Snax are mostly air
    Biscuits don't count as sweets etc

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Dades wrote: »
    And a bath once a month if they need or not! :pac:

Fat kids are a pet hate of my wife and I, with the ire firmly directed at the parents who allow it to happen. That said, I have no problem with giving my kids treats as long as they eat proper food at proper food times and continue to play/exercise like duracell bunnies all day long.

If I thought for a microsecond my kids were getting chunky/slovenly the regime would change overnight. But right now I don't see the need to withhold treats because other people's kids are fat.

Fat kids don't annoy me. It's the parents of fat kids blocking the entrance to my estate every morning dropping their potentially-less-fat-and-would-definitely-be-healthier-if-they-walked-to-school fat kids to school. It really is a 'blame the parents' phenomenon.

These are the same parents who drive half a mile to the chipper. Supporting nurture over nature on this one. Nature doesn't generally produce jellybellys in humans. Nurture does. Although the use of 'nurture' in this context does stretch the definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Any study I've come across says sweets are generally fine as long as you don't overdo it. What's more important than fretting over their sugar intake is ensuring that they have a healthy lifestyle i.e. regular exercise, bedtimes, meals and good hygiene. Obviously if they're eating so many sweets that's it's making them too full for dinner or too lethargic to go out to play something is wrong. As far as I recall, my parents never bought me sweets, but let me spend my pocket money on as many as I liked. I tended not to buy too much because I wanted to go to the cinema, or quasar or buy a Lego castle or a new game or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

What's more important than fretting over their sugar intake is ensuring that they have a healthy lifestyle i.e. regular exercise, bedtimes, meals and good hygiene.
    I agree. Also, two more tips;
    1.If they don't finish their dinner; no problem, but no junk food either.
    2. If eating out, never buy kids food from the kids menu; ask for a half portion of human food instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Bloe Joggs

I think it's possible for kids to enjoy their regular meals and enjoy a degree of healthy snacking with a little bit of imagination. Bored, unhappy, inactive kids are more likely to find refuge in sweets and still not burn it all off. Remember how addiction works, it's the irregular, random exposure to the addictive substance or activity that builds the craving so if you're going to introduce treats at certain intervals, make sure it's not done in a haphazard way and don't tease them by exposing them to the item visually. I personally believe that using sweets as a bribery tool or for "being good" is the road to disaster as it creates the wrong impression early on and presents sugar as a target, something to aim for, when good wholesome food will do the same thing after enough healthy activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,098 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I have learned something from this thread...

...that cheap easter eggs can be obtained from charity shops!

It is funny (well, sad really) that everywhere that has a 'kids menu' it's chips with everything, but usually those vile chicken nuggets. Our kids would rather eat what we're having. McDonalds is once or twice a year and they rarely finish what they get. They love fruit and veg and their favourite vegetable is brussels sprouts :) They do get treats but they are treats not part of their everyday diet. I think sugary drinks are the worst thing of all, empty calories that don't satisfy the appetite and very bad for the teeth too.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

ninja900 wrote: »
    . . . and their favourite vegetable is brussels sprouts
    I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but your children are weird. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but your children are weird. ;-)

i dunno, my three love cabbage and the eldest likes brocolli as well

These things are entirely in accordance with the natural order of things. But brussels sprouts? Seriously?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I thought I loved cabbage as a kid, only to have dinner at a friends on day to realise that not everybody stir fries it with soya sauce and garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

These things are entirely in accordance with the natural order of things. But brussels sprouts? Seriously?

My sister loved sprouts until she was about 16/17.

recedite wrote: »
    I agree. Also, two more tips;

2. If eating out, never buy kids food from the kids menu; ask for a half portion of human food instead.

this :)
    My 4 year old's favourite food is Salmon, he always orders it whenever we're out

My Son loves brocolli and my daughter who just turned 3 eats all the veg first and often leaves the meat.

They think they like chips because it's considered 'party food' (it's what they're given at every birthday party that they go to) but they rarely finish those meals but will happily polish off a lovely bowl of stew or plate of bacon and cabbage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

School/chocolate patronage - same thing.

• Advertisement

My daughter, aged seven, loves steak cooked blue - gets a odd looks from some waiting staff, but got a huge high five from one French guy too :D

Advertisement