Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony XPERIA Z2

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Several British stores sent out press releases last week saying that preorder shipments would go into May because of component shortages, but Sony immediately responded saying they would ship before the end of April. So I'd guess the last day of the month.

EDIT: The above probably supports that, I assume carrier orders come before SIM free orders, even for the bigger vendors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

You said the Z2 will be available later this month, do you have any specifics on that? (Late this month? Carriers?)

nope. they were reluctant to promise anything as they are still working on perfecting a few bits and pieces...which is concerning, but not surprising for Sony.

Rule of thumb suggests that Vodafone will have at launch, Meteor following close if not matching, with O2 and Three likely to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Looks good indeed.

The exchange email thing is a bit disappointing for me. Hopefully they review this in a software update.

Still looks like a fair wait to see this phone on Irish shores though.

Uriel. wrote: »
    Looks good indeed.

The exchange email thing is a bit disappointing for me. Hopefully they review this in a software update.

Still looks like a fair wait to see this phone on Irish shores though.

3rd party mail replacement will resolve that issue, and I'm sure a root fix will come along soon enough too.

To add to the praise for the Z2 dXo Mark have rated the Z2 as having the best camera to date nipping the Nokia 808 Pureview! :eek:

http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Sony-Xperia-Z2-overview-Revised-model-takes-first-place-in-Mobile-rankings

It seems that the 8MP down-sampled images provided the best clarity. I see no reason to shoot in anything higher as 8MP will do for A4 - A3 prints and are too big for most monitors and TV's. If you wanted to print higher and expect good detail and image quality you'd really need to use a DSLR or high end compact.

• Advertisement

What exactly is the problem with Exchange service, is it just corporate accounts locked down by sysadmins or something more fundamental? The calendar sync problem in 4.2 and 4.3 bugged the crap out of me, I hope it's not something similar.

rovoagho wrote: »
    What exactly is the problem with Exchange service, is it just corporate accounts locked down by sysadmins or something more fundamental? The calendar sync problem in 4.2 and 4.3 bugged the crap out of me, I hope it's not something similar.

Normally the default security requirement when adding a corporate exchange account that has force security enabled is for passcode only. So a standard 4 digit code will work, but the bug with the Xperia is that it forces a password, with upper and lower case, and special characters. So everytime you unlock your phone you need to type in that stupidly long password.

That's OK for me so, I run my own Zimbra server. I feel sorry for those that have to do it though!

Seems to be settled on a May 1st General Release in the UK, although CPW will have limited stock available later this week.

Though here its suggesting later in May due to the ongoing supply chain problems.

Seems unlikely that Irish users will get their hands on the device until June - perhaps with Vodafone's exclusivity in the beginning, it could even be late June.

That's a fair wait... particularly with HTC and Samsung getting in ahead of the game.

Seems to be settled on a May 1st General Release in the UK, although CPW will have limited stock available later this week.

Though here its suggesting later in May due to the ongoing supply chain problems.

Seems unlikely that Irish users will get their hands on the device until June - perhaps with Vodafone's exclusivity in the beginning, it could even be late June.

That's a fair wait... particularly with HTC and Samsung getting in ahead of the game.

Dammit that's some wait. I'm due an upgrade on the 28th of this month.

If they're going to make us wait, the had better iron on the few issues people have been experiencing with the models shipped in Taiwan and Singapore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Not looking too good
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sony-xperia-z2-troubled-by-hardware-defects
    Not surprising for Sony to fup it up.

Not looking too good
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sony-xperia-z2-troubled-by-hardware-defects
    Not surprising for Sony to fup it up.

The heating up thing, most likely wouldn't bother me. It depends on the finer detail tho. Are people experiencing this problem shooting 4K video for an hour plus? or is it that the problem surfaces after just a couple of minutes.

If I am using a phone's video function it's usually for less than 5 mins at a time so, if that didn't cause a problem, it's no big deal (for me).

The gapping thing is a bit more worrying though. Not necessarily for the concerns to "water tightness", I don't expect I'll go swimming with my phone :) but if the hardware is pulling a part or has some similar defect, then build quality must be compromised. Not good!!!

Hmmm HTC is looking like a potential winner for me now. We'll see, I will hold on until the first full reviews start to come from the UK in the next week or so.

They have a winner on their hands and they're letting it slip through their fingers. I've seen the M8 in person now and it's aesthetics have not won me over, nor has the camera quality. The S5 is the only contender at the moment but for me and quite a few people I know, Samsung is too full of bloat to be of any use.

If May comes and Sony still hasn't delivered then they've lost this round already. I wonder how many heads will roll because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

No heads will roll I suspect. Sony seems to mess up things a good bit. Either the hardware is great and the software is cack or the software is great only to be let down by iffy hardware.
    They are notorious for poor software updates and for an inconsistent experience across the board.
    I would plump for HTC anyday over a Sony.

Hmmm HTC is looking like a potential winner for me now. We'll see, I will hold on until the first full reviews start to come from the UK in the next week or so.

The M7 had terrible build quality problems at the outset. Mine has two of the flaws, screen not flush to the top speaker grill and a slight gap at the top, but I didn't send it back because it didn't bother me all that much. It shouldn't happen with devices that cost this much though, HTC's approach of "keep chucking handsets at the market, sure we'll deal with it later" is a contributing factor to my not buying an M8.

If Sony are holding back because of this, rather than component shortages, I'd actually applaud them for for it, and I'll wait. But I will be annoyed if mine arrives and the fit and finish isn't perfect; and I will send this one back if that's the case.

I'm pretty sure I'll never "shoot" 4K video with a mobile phone in the next few years. It's a nonsense. Hopefully those that shoot for "extended periods" will catch fire and die, the gene pool will thank Sony for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

rovoagho wrote: »
    The M7 had terrible build quality problems at the outset. Mine has two of the flaws, screen not flush to the top speaker grill and a slight gap at the top, but I didn't send it back because it didn't bother me all that much. It shouldn't happen with devices that cost this much though, HTC's approach of "keep chucking handsets at the market, sure we'll deal with it later" is a contributing factor to my not buying an M8.

If Sony are holding back because of this, rather than component shortages, I'd actually applaud them for for it, and I'll wait. But I will be annoyed if mine arrives and the fit and finish isn't perfect; and I will send this one back if that's the case.

I'm pretty sure I'll never "shoot" 4K video with a mobile phone in the next few years. It's a nonsense. Hopefully those that shoot for "extended periods" will catch fire and die, the gene pool will thank Sony for it.

I'd never purchase an HTC phone at launch. I don't trust them to not make a balls of their initial shipments. Even if I liked the m8, I wouldn't go near it for a month or two. I say that as someone who's owned their last two flagships.

Really looking for a phone with an excellent camera, as much as I love the m7 the camera now kills it for me. It's funny, but a phone's camera was probably the least important aspect of a phone to me. Then I had a kid. It's a real weakness with Android and I don't understand why. As much as it galls me I may be persuaded by the next iPhone.

I didn't buy it at launch though, so either the quality problems persisted or I got landed with one from a vendor with crap stock control.

To be fair, it was the first HTC handset I had a quality problem with, and I've had lots. The M8 does nothing for me though. Blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Does anyone know if the up and coming Z2 smartphone will support quick charge 2.0? I would have thought it would have considering its using the 801 chip....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I gave up in waiting...
    Got a Lumia 1320 on PAYG with O2 at less than 270 inc VAT.
    I'll review Z2 after 3-6 months after launch, whenever that might be...
    Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭north south east west

Anyone have any idea when this phone is due out? Also will Meteor be carrying it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Anyone have any idea when this phone is due out? Also will Meteor be carrying it?

End of the month if not later. Vodafone have an exclusivity window, the length of which I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭north south east west

End of the month if not later. Vodafone have an exclusivity window, the length of which I do not know.

Thanks. Think I might just get the S5 then. Z2 does look like a great phone. Might be a bit heavy for my liking though.

I am not sure how reliable the source is, but these guys are claiming that new information suggests further delays for the Z2 to release.

The claim is possibly 5 - 7 months which doesn't really seem to be believable to be perfectly honest... but even if they have the "further delay" part right and have exaggerated the length of delay, it could be likely that you won't see the Z2 until July - maybe even later.

If any of this rings even partly true Sony have seriously dropped the ball on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I am not sure how reliable the source is, but these guys are claiming that new information suggests further delays for the Z2 to release.

The claim is possibly 5 - 7 months which doesn't really seem to be believable to be perfectly honest... but even if they have the "further delay" part right and have exaggerated the length of delay, it could be likely that you won't see the Z2 until July - maybe even later.

If any of this rings even partly true Sony have seriously dropped the ball on this one.

May 1st for the UK allegedly. Dont know about ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This is typical of Sony.

It's no wonder that there phone business and company as a whole is failing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Ireland is supposedly the 25th of April through Vodafone. Well at least that is what I was told last week in store.

Wouldn't be surprised if that's changed though.

That's the official release. But what about actual numbers and stock. Save face and release the device on time but only have a 100,000 phones for the whole of the UK or something?

Hard to know how it will pan out.

Not reliable at all. Digital Trends are press release recyclers and parrots, and the source they quote barely covers the subject, it's just two throwaway lines at the start and end of fill. Zero credibility both.

Sony better get their act together. They're instilling no confidence by holing up a phone already released in numerous markets. I am loath to pick up the S5, but if it's the only option I'll have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I'm hoping meteor have it before the 15th of may because im due my upgrade then.
    Ive had a s3 for the last 18 months and im gone bored of it so fingers crossed the
    sony is out by then

Advertisement