Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S3 screen broken - cost of repair Dublin?

Options
  • 26-10-2012 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I wanted to find out if anyone else has had their screen repaied on their S3. I was thinking of taking it to Moore street and see what the best they can do there is.

Fonemenders want 170 to fix it which to me is bloody extortion. That parts cannot be that expensive!! Theres a guy in Malahide but that still 160. What the heck is up with those prices?!

I was thinking closer to 50!

Has anyone had any experience with getting an S3 screen fixed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

The gorilla glass screen makes it really expensive, and I think the digitiser is embedded in it as well, so that bumps up the cost. (I'm not sure about the second part but the glass alone is pricey)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

50 no way!

I would say 140 is the nearly as cheap as you will get it for done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

140 is better; where is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

not a chance you'll get it for €140..
    the cheapest I've seen is a chap on here in adverts and fonemenders..both of whom charge €160..
    perfect job though but while the chap on adverts will do it in 15 mins for you it costs an extra €20 for fendmenders to do likewise (1 hour service).

http://www.adverts.ie/repair-services/samsung-galaxy-s1-i9000-s1-i9001-s2-i9100-quick-lcd-repair-genuine/1103250?notification=07ce795134559a2529b9ff2d08ec3ad4-1349436128#comment_10322495

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Going by that adverts page, lots of people new cases for their s3, he seems to have loads of work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

The screen on most modern smart phones is the most expensive part of the build. Sure you can probably pick up a cheap knock off from eBay or elsewhere but the quality will be sh1te and do you really want to compromise the one major feature of the phone???

I've seen some of the cheaper iPhone 4 screens and they are totally rubbish and you'd nearly hurt your finger from pressing the screen as the touch screen is so bad.

Remember the saying, but cheap pay twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭kirving

You'll regret it if you don't get it fixed by an authorised repair centre.

A cheap fix will void your warranty, and won't be nearly as durable as a Gorilla Glass screen. A small drop, and the cheap screen will smash, possibly causing worse damage to the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bogdozer

Broke my screen. Shop in Maynooth quoted €120. Sounds good...but how will I know if I get the proper quality glass? Should I ask to see the parts before installation complete with maker's name etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bogdozer

Broke my screen. Shop in Maynooth quoted €120. Sounds good...but how will I know if I get the proper quality glass? Should I ask to see the parts before installation complete with maker's name etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭loveacca

The gorilla class is the expensive bit, happened to me and i was shocked at the cost to get fixed (€155)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Is there a place to buy the genuine screen S3 mini blue if I'm happy to swap it myself? I realise it will void warranty but I fancy the challenge and there are numerous step-by-step videos.

Ebay prices seem to vary massively from too cheap to far too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭broders3

Hey bogdozer, do you have the name of that shop in Maynooth, GF dropped her phone and needs a new screen. Can't get a quote for less than 160 in Dublin. Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

www.fonfix.ie do it for €141

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 swordsy

I got it done for €70 in Cru PC Phone store on Abbey Street, just 2 doors down from New York Cleaners.

Really nice job too, and the guy put a good strong cover on it for €20, an Otter Box, to make sure this never happens again!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

Are these quotes for the lcd or just the front glass?

@swordsy: do they have a website / phone number? Can't find anything on google and won't be in dublin for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

I need to get mine replaced.....the glass is actually fine/undamaged, but the screen behind is damaged/stays black when turned on. Should that make it any cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

no that would be more expensive, the LCD costs more than the front glass

No I realise that, I just mean that it's only the LCD that should be replaced (as in, it's not the glass cracked as well).

I just didn't know if you could replace the LCD BEHIND the glass, keeping the same glass screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

there's a place i took my htc one x in blanchardstown (at the bottom of the escalators at the dunnes end), but i wouldn't recommend them. they charged me 200 quid to replace the digitizer and LCD even though the digitizer was the only broken part, as he said they were bonded together) and when i got it back it was a non original part, the LCD was a lot less black than the original and not curved, so it stuck up slightly.

only lasted about 8 months before the new digitizer started lifting away from the LCD and when i took it back they wouldn't fix it without replacing the whole lot again (had gone down to 180 quid) even though it was their own shoddy parts falling to bits.

however, i WOULD recommend www.syncron.ie (who were recommended here) at the back of rosemount business park.

better value and top notch (speedy) work and were even able to replace a dock port on an ipod touch very cheaply, which is a bitch of a job. highly recommended anyway, really nice guys too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

I contacted syncron.ie at Rosemont about repairing a cracked screen on a Samsung S2 which they said they can do for about €70.

I asked if it was a genuine part which they got coy about so I assume it is not.

Just wondering what do more "expert" boardies think. Would I be better to get genuine parts & pay about €160 or should I risk this?

Alternatively, if anyone can recommend an alternative, please let me know!!

Thanks

Little A

• Advertisement

I got mine fixed by jackophones in Malahide last week.....115 for a genuine screen, good as new. He does S2 as well, €100 for a new/genuine screen; http://www.jackophones.ie/

I'm just thinking, is there such a thing as a "genuine" screen for the S3 as Samsung sell the whole screen & digitizer as a whole piece.

I don't want to end up with an unresponsive phone!

Ah well I'd broken the digitizer, see. Glass was actually fine, but he just replaced the whole thing.

Ah, I see. That sounds like a good price for the whole thing. I might be better to do that rather than just save a few bob & risk having a less responsive phone.

Any other views?

Thanks

Advertisement