Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple and iOS etc

Options
  • 14-09-2012 2:15pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So what do you guys think of the iPhone 5 debacle? I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. I don't think there were any major surprises with the iPhone5 and as expected Apple have lost their reign of dominance. Yes the iPhone5 looks like a nice piece of kit for those that need to upgrade from the 3GS or the 4 but don't want to change, but what I'm happy with now is that they can no longer sing the song that 'the iPhone is the best phone in the world' - as its fairly clear that that Android is superior - but you'll always get a few who won't let go and will continue to proclaim its dominance. Hard for them to come back now when more Android phones are being sold than iPhones right now - although that may change when the 5 comes out.

What do you think will happen in the future for the battle between Android and iOS, Google and Apple?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

The new iPhone, while looking very nice, is about a year behind. This is the phone that should have been released instead of the 4S.

They've lost their innovation, they seem obsessed with making their phones lighter and skinnier. The new iphone is about 25% thinner then the old one, this has all the apple fan boys in orgasm mode. But in all honesty We've now gotten to the point that if phones becomes any thinner they'll snap in half :p Not to mention they'll start to become uncomfortable to use if they get really thin

There is no denying what apple did to the mobile industry, they've completely changed it and advanced mobile devices by years, but the competition has caught up and in androids case surpassed them.

The Samsung Galaxy 3 is probably the best phone on the planet right now, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with in the new year or so. Apple need to start playing catch up

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Windows battle all over again.
    1 release a year all on their own hardware with reluctance to change vs quick updates & an abundance of devices & manufacturers. Was never gonna be a winning battle

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I just wish someone would come out with a better windows. Linux just never broke into mainstream. I actually just reinstalled windows last night, few up with 7, I went back to XP. 11 years on and imo its still the best...

Anyhoo yeah fair play to Apple for inventing the smartphone as we know it but they just do not innovate the way they should. That Samsung verdict pissed a lot of people off too.

Looking forward to seeing who's going to bring out the next killer phone - nothing really on the horizon but they are kinda peaking anyway. I do look forward to where Android will go though. Being used in cameras and Cars etc now I'm sure this is only the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I didn't expect Apple to do anything more than they did. Some of the OP is cringeworthy tho. I have an iPhone, previously had android. They both have pieces that I like and dislike. I prefer iOS over Android. That being said I would still go back to Android again.

The build quality on the iPhone is light years ahead of any of the Samsungs. HTC do good solid phones but the are very unreliable.

Of course android is going to out sell iPhones! How many phone models is there?

This fanboy stuff is getting rather annoying.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I went from Andorid to iOS over a year ago, just before the huge surge in Android improvements. As soon as my contract is over, I will NOT be going for another iOS device, until they can at least match Android spec wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Just out of curiosity, what do you need the higher spec for?

Or are we just talking about a bigger screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

jenno86 wrote: »
    I didn't expect Apple to do anything more than they did. Some of the OP is cringeworthy tho. I have an iPhone, previously had android. They both have pieces that I like and dislike. I prefer iOS over Android. That being said I would still go back to Android again.

The build quality on the iPhone is light years ahead of any of the Samsungs. HTC do good solid phones but the are very unreliable.

I agree, this thread reeks of fanboi crap that's as bad as any iPhone loving hipsters comments.

Both iOS and Android have their place, just pick whichever one you want and leave the willy waving to the gob****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

draffodx wrote: »
    I agree, this thread reeks of fanboi crap that's as bad as any iPhone loving hipsters comments.

Both iOS and Android have their place, just pick whichever one you want and leave the willy waving to the gob****es.

I agree with that, Both android and iOS are going nowhere, but making comparisons between is inevitable.

To be honest I have no loyalty with either of them I simply go for the best technology I can get.

I went for the galaxy nexus as the iPhone 4S didn't appeal to me that much, but i bought a new iPad as they simply blow other tablets out of the water, both in terms of build quality and tablet specific apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

jenno86 wrote: »

This annoys me a little bit, a lot of people say this but depending on how you judge build quality it's not necessarily true. The iphone looks and feels much better, but the iphone is mostly made of glass (new one has some aluminium I know) and when dropped they shatter, Samsung phones are incredibly durable, you could nearly play basketball with the thing and it would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,418 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

exactly...before originally the apple fanbois were painful..now it's the android crowd..and they're even worse than the apple lads were..a fair majority of them are clueless and just spout complete shíte off the top of their head.
    I slated the very first iphone and ridiculed it and went with the very 1st google G1 which I loved..
    I eventually switched to the Iphone 4 about 2 years ago as the ios experience was far more polished than Android at the point and in fairness still is.
    I really wish Google would enforce updates on manufacturers and carriers as this is one area that Apple win hands down.
    Now after being disappointed by the ip5 specs I'm going for the Samsung S3 or the HTC One X, both of which are fantastic phones. Android has really come on since 1.0 and indeed since HC on my xoom..which was a lovely piece of kit only let down by poor software and a sluggish UI..much improved now since ICS.
    I still have my ipad so I don't lose access to many of the apps I've bought over the years and now I'll be able to enjoy the best of both worlds.

It's fairly bloody sad when someone feels the need to post a thread ridiculing the IP5 in the Android forum and in fairness..get a bloody life for god's sake.
    Everyone hates fanboys..whether they're MAC/Windows/Linux/Amd/Intel/Nvidia etc..they're all just morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I had a secret hope that iPhone 5 would actually turn out to be an amazing phone, with lots of brand new features and really blow me away. I've been pretty set on getting the Galaxy SIII since it came out, but was waiting to see the iPhone 5's release.

I'm working in a tech store at the moment, and am frankly just disappointed by the iPhone 5.

The only real change is a .5 inch longer screen, the camera has been slightly improved but still has the same MP count. The A6 doesn't seem to be any great improvement on the A5.

iOS6 just seems to be a smoother version of the last, nothing major or inspiring in the changes.

There is no real innovation in iPhone 5, and considering it's extreme cost I was expecting/hoping for so much more.

It's a cash cow really, especially with all this nonsense about the adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I think the S3 is far too big. I think the manufacturers are loosing the plot and forgetting they are working with phones and not tablets.

People want phones to be small, handy and fit in the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

py2006 wrote: »
    I think the S3 is far too big. I think the manufacturers are loosing the plot and forgetting they are working with phones and not tablets.

I don't know about that, for my hand the SIII is a perfect size, and I don't even have huge hands.

There is a shift in the market to see larger screens now, up to about 4" at most as it allows for decent viewing of shows and files.

On my older 3GS and current 4 it can be annoyingly straining to watching things and zoom in for reading things.

Of course that's a personal opinion, I've met and spoken with plenty of customers who preferred the smaller screen given by Apple and even a few HTC/Samsung phones.

Some people do, while others (an increasing majority) like a big screen as evidenced by how well the Note has sold. If people in general didn't like the bigger screens then no one would buy them and we'd go back to circa 4 inch screens.

I have a Nexus, slightly smaller than the S3 (4.65 compared to 4.8) and it fits in my pocket just fine.

With clever marketing people buy what they "think" they want.

I am not sure if it was Steve Jobs who said "we tell the customers what they want" or something along those lines.

With clever marketing people buy what they "think" they want.

I am not sure if it was Steve Jobs who said "we tell the customers what they want" or something along those lines.

Maybe you only "think" you want a small phone.

Not gonna get into this conversation, wondering if you're trolling, but people will buy what they want, who are you or anybody else for that matter to say that people want small phones when all of the recent evidence says otherwise.

Nolimits wrote: »
    Maybe you only "think" you want a small phone.

Not gonna get into this conversation, wondering if you're trolling, but people will buy what they want, who are you or anybody else for that matter to say that people want small phones when all of the recent evidence says otherwise.

How the hell am I trolling? because you don't agree?? get a grip!

I'm due an upgrade and will most likely go for S3 or iPhone5. But I do believe that the manufactures are getting carried away. The latest phones are almost tablets. I certainly wouldn't but one any bigger than the S3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Blazer wrote: »

exactly...before originally the apple fanbois were painful..now it's the android crowd..and they're even worse than the apple lads were..a fair majority of them are clueless and just spout complete shíte off the top of their head.
    I prefer to just sit back and laugh. I find it quite funny how somebody can get into a heated debate with somebody else when they are clueless.

The debates after this announcement have been very entertaining if nothing else.

How the hell am I trolling? because you don't agree?? get a grip!

I'm due an upgrade and will most likely go for S3 or iPhone5. But I do believe that the manufactures are getting carried away. The latest phones are almost tablets. I certainly wouldn't but one any bigger than the S3.

I accused you of trolling not because you disagreed with me, had you said that you prefer smaller phones I would have thought fair enough, I know some people don't like bigger phones, but you tried to pretend that your opinion was prevalent, despite that fact that the best selling Android phones of the last few years were all larger phones, and then seemed to suggest that people dont know what they like and they secretly agree with you even if they don't know it.

Advertisement