Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Fire HD 7" vs Google Nexus 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57507776-251/kindle-fire-hd-vs-nexus-7-which-one-is-right-for-you/

This does a good job of summing things up. For me it's still the Nexus 7, due in most part to the operating system. There's a lot of apps that Amazon just won't let you run on the Kindle because they're running a closed system that only really works well with their own Amazon app store.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Will the HD be hackable in a way to get a full android OS on it instead? Maybe even the latest release?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I'd say still stick to the GN7, its completely open and you'll get updates as they come out.

As mentioned above the KF HD will be locked down to only run certain apps etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Unless someone comes up with an idea how to unlock the KD H7 but for the time being Asus N7 gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57507776-251/kindle-fire-hd-vs-nexus-7-which-one-is-right-for-you/

This does a good job of summing things up. For me it's still the Nexus 7, due in most part to the operating system. There's a lot of apps that Amazon just won't let you run on the Kindle because they're running a closed system that only really works well with their own Amazon app store.

Yeah that review is a good read and comparison which I'll agree with (of course owning a N7 helps!).

Obviously if you have an Amazon account with information already on it then the Kindle would hold a definite advantage for you but the locked down nature of this tablet reminds me of an iOS varient. Of course if this was worked around then it may be a game-changer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Throw in the Acer A110 with its quad-core, Jelly Bean and expandable storage and you have a contest.

we cant buy kindle fire amazon uk or usa wont let me import :( and apple is to dear

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

we cant buy kindle fire amazon uk
    You could use a service like Parcel Motel to order the Fire / Fire HD from Amazon UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Both are very good Tablets the Nexus would be the preferred choice but i won't be going for either as they both don't have expandable storage so ill just wait for a similarly specced and priced tablet which does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Both are very good Tablets the Nexus would be the preferred choice but i won't be going for either as they both don't have expandable storage so ill just wait for a similarly specced and priced tablet which does.

This app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer plus an USB OTG cable means you can read from a USB key for those times when 16 gig ain't enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

This app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer plus an USB OTG cable means you can read from a USB key for those times when 16 gig ain't enough.

cheers for that yeah that is a workaround but i think id sooner have expandable storage:)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

you can get thumb drives which u cud plug in and leave in. theyre tiny and wouldnt obtrude too much.
    but yeah it put me off also and im gonna get the asus transformer instead.
    pricier but i do think bigger is slightly better and like their dock to keyboard too. . was kinda waiting on the surface before deciding on a tablet as theres a lot i like ahout it. inface its design is the best imo, but i can see microsoft charginf an arm and a leg thoufh there are rumors it will be at cost price. . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

I'd get an N7. Pure android is a much better experience (IMHO) than any of the skinned/customised variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭soccerbreaker

Don't know, but N7 is better, I think

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

jonnny68 wrote: »

see post 7

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/acer-iconia-tab-a110-budget-jelly-bean-tablet-available-for-uk-pre-order-1092358

Advertisement