Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Marriage/Marriage Equality/End of World?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,859 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

old hippy wrote: »
    Sexual orientation is not a lifestyle choice.You're born that way. It's normal. Sexual intercourse, however, can be a behavioral choice. The only lifestyle choice is choosing to be out and comfortable with who you are, seeking equality and all that or choosing to stay in the closet.

Telling people that being gay is ok and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it is not promoting homosexuality. It's promoting equality.

That's the problem though. Some groups don't want homosexuals being considered equal in schools, be it as employees or a topic in a lesson.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Just came across this game about our gay friend Vlad, from this article here.

Just one question, should we have a boardsies competition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Just came across this game about our gay friend Vlad, from this article here.

Just one question, should we have a boardsies competition?

http://www.putingaydressup.com/putin/32260

:pac:

• Moderators Posts: 51,859 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

South Carolina Senator Convinces University To Cancel Play, Says It Was ‘Recruiting’ Lesbians
    South Carolina state Sen. Mike Fair (R), who believes homosexuality is “not normal,” has convinced the University of South Carolina Upstate to cancel a satirical one-woman show called, “How to Be a Lesbian in 10 Days or Less”:
    FAIR: It’s just not normal and then you glorify, or it seems to me, that the promotion at USC is a glorification of same sex orientation… That’s not an explanation of ‘I was born this way.’ It’s recruiting.

That's right, a one-woman show about life as a lesbian is "recruiting". :rolleyes:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

That's probably the seventh stupidest thing I've read in this thread today. The other 6...well, you can probably guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Could not resist. http://www.putingaydressup.com/putin/32269

I went for a sensibly mainstream look with some added accessories. Couldn't get the right boots though, but I think the beard/tash suits him. :D

Ooooh, I didn't spot the crocodile clips! My bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I mean, I would wear this. He think he looks stylish.

• Advertisement

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I mean, I would wear this. He think he looks stylish.
    Mmmm, yup. Funky green leggings!

Damn! I've missed the chihuahua this time. That's all my next attempt needed! (plus a better background) I'm actually just playing dress-up now....no attempt to ridicule made. Clearly didn't have enough dolls as a child :p
    http://www.putingaydressup.com/putin/32277

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

JimiTime wrote: »
    If people want to have sex with whatever, thats their prerogative. Thats not the issue. The issue is demanding that we all agree that its perfectly fine, and in the context here, insist that they teach our children that its perfectly fine. You will notice that the man in questions sexual behaviour is not my issue, but rather his insistance on preaching to children that its perfectly fine. I am fully aware that I live in a world of various views and beliefs, some I agree with, others I don't. Being a tolerant guy, I accept it. However, there is a difference between accepting that a teachers sexual preference is his business, and a teacher insisting on teaching pupils that his sexual behaviour is perfectly fine.
    I know you have been asked this before, and I doubt you will answer it, but on what basis are you saying it is not perfectly fine?

Also, your little 'sex with whatever' quip is quite mean and nasty. You wonder why people think you are a bigot... :(

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No offence experienced here, though your 'technicality'? Come off it :)

Hi there jimi. If you'd be good enough to get back to me on this.....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89831366&postcount=5431

Nodin wrote: »
    Hi there jimi. If you'd be good enough to get back to me on this.....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89831366&postcount=5431

Don't you know that anything short of subjecting LGBT people to aversion therapy is "promoting homosexuality"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Whoa there trigger. Where was he 'promoting homosexuality'?

I think Jimi made a typo there. While intimating that a homo reading from a book about homos to a class of children is promoting homosexuality (Section 28 or St Petersburg Law definition style) he put the word NOT into his sentence "would you like to see primary schools being used to promote the idea is NOT good" (which they do anyway by banning the reading of gay books in classrooms, dropping a broad hint to the children that there'a something "NO NO" about such matters).

Then again, maybe Jimi was being "subversive" hoping we'd miss the NO and accidentally promote the notion.

Obliq wrote: »
    Could not resist. http://www.putingaydressup.com/putin/32269

I went for a sensibly mainstream look with some added accessories. Couldn't get the right boots though, but I think the beard/tash suits him. :D

I was annoyed that there were no high heels. He's not truly fabulouuuuuuss without them.

• Advertisement

Rxf1zjX.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Some of you may remember Honey Maid in the US had an ad which featured a same-sex couple - of course people objected.

This is Honey Maid's response.

This just in from Marriage Equality re the elections on 23rd May next. ME would like people in favour of SSM to check this address to see if candidates in your area for the EU Parliament have signed up to the ILGA Europe pledge to take a stand on human rights and LGBTI Equality in Europe... http://www.ilga-europe.org/home/how_we_work/european_institutions/ep2014/candidate. Also go to: http://www.checktheregister.ie/ and make sure you're listed on it to vote.

Ta to Bannaside for the previous post: how the stats have changed slightly, as to who is the one in ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

NOTE: Thanks to a heads-up from NuMarvel it seems that some of the links in the post below are now broken or out-of-date so I have updated the list with new links and added relevant papers published since I posted this originally.

Stock arguments

1. If we legalise gay marriage then we'll have to legalise polygamy, incest, bestiality, (other random taboo activity) too.

Slippery slope fallacy

2. Same-sex marriage is unnatural

Forgetting for a second that marriage itself is a human construct and therefore unnatural yet again we have another fallacy.

Appeal to nature

3. Same-sex marriage will lead to the breakdown of society.

Appeal to consequences of a belief

4. Marriage is built on the idea of one man and one woman and should not be redefined.

Appeal to tradition

5. Same-sex marriage is harmful to children.

Aside from being demonstrably wrong, this argument is yet another fallacy.

Appeal to fear

I have omitted the appeal to religion from this list because it should be obvious that expecting a particular religious viewpoint regarding, well, anything to be enshrined in law has no place in democracy. Any way, the links above should explain why these arguments for marriage are fallacious but if you'd like me to clarify further just ask.

Now, as for the adoption question, both the phrasing of the constitution and the perspective of certain religions considers marriage to be the basis of family and that it is impossible to extricate the two. (Personally I think that argument is baseless but it's more useful to deal with it for the moment). You have described gay adoption as a "definite line which shouldn't be crossed". The thing is you're wrong. And here's why:

Key papers:

Books, Reviews, Meta-Analyses

The Role of the Father in Child Development, Michael E. Lamb

Tasker, F. (2005). Lesbian mothers, gay fathers and their children: A
    review.
    Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 26,
    224–240.

Tasker, F. (2010) Same-sex parenting and child development: Reviewing the contribution of parental gender, Journal of Marriage and Family

Consensus Positions

American Psychological AssocationSexual Orientation, Parents, & Children

Amicus brief submitted in support of 9th Circuit Court of Appeals challenge to California Prop 8

Lesbian and Gay Parenting Resource Publication

Canadian Psychological Association

Brief presented to the Legislative House of Commons Committee on Bill
    C38

American Academy of Pediatrics

Policy statement - Coparent or second-parent adoption by same-sex parents

American Academy of Pediatrics Supports Same Gender Civil Marriage

Australian Psychological Society

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) parented families - A literature review

American Psychoanalytic Association

Position statement on Gay and Lesbian Parenting

American Psychiatric Association

Position Statement in Support of Legal Recognition of Same-Sex Civil Marriage

North American Council on Adoptable Children

Gay and Lesbian Adoptions and Foster Care

Royal College of Psychiatrists

Submission to the Church of England's Listening Exercise on Human Sexuality

American Academy of Child & Adolescent Pscyhiatry

Children with lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender parents

American National Association of Social Workers

Amicus brief - California Supreme Court - Case No. S147999

Legal Decisions

Third District Court of Appeal, State of Florida, Docket No. 3D08-3044
    "As a result, based on the robust nature of the evidence available in the field, this Court is satisfied that the issue is so far beyond dispute that it would be irrational to hold otherwise; the best interests of children are not preserved by prohibiting homosexual adoption."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

MrPudding wrote: »
    I know you have been asked this before, and I doubt you will answer it, but on what basis are you saying it is not perfectly fine?

Also, your little 'sex with whatever' quip is quite mean and nasty. You wonder why people think you are a bigot... :(

MrP

Unfortunately, those attitudes are widespread. This other site I post on is looking for new members, a bit of diversity, perhaps some of you might like to tackle ignorance by joining?

http://metrogees.myfastforum.org/Is_it_possible_to_be_bisexual__about3716.html

• Advertisement

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    NOTE: Thanks to a heads-up from NuMarvel it seems that some of the links in the post below are now broken or out-of-date so I have updated the list with new links and added relevant papers published since I posted this originally.

Stock arguments

1. If we legalise gay marriage then we'll have to legalise polygamy, incest, bestiality, (other random taboo activity) too.

Slippery slope fallacy

Forgetting for a second that marriage itself is a human construct and therefore unnatural yet again we have another fallacy.

Appeal to nature

3. Same-sex marriage will lead to the breakdown of society.

Appeal to consequences of a belief

4. Marriage is built on the idea of one man and one woman and should not be redefined.

Appeal to tradition

5. Same-sex marriage is harmful to children.

Aside from being demonstrably wrong, this argument is yet another fallacy.

Appeal to fear

I have omitted the appeal to religion from this list because it should be obvious that expecting a particular religious viewpoint regarding, well, anything to be enshrined in law has no place in democracy. Any way, the links above should explain why these arguments for marriage are fallacious but if you'd like me to clarify further just ask.

Now, as for the adoption question, both the phrasing of the constitution and the perspective of certain religions considers marriage to be the basis of family and that it is impossible to extricate the two. (Personally I think that argument is baseless but it's more useful to deal with it for the moment). You have described gay adoption as a "definite line which shouldn't be crossed". The thing is you're wrong. And here's why:

Key papers:

Books, Reviews, Meta-Analyses

The Role of the Father in Child Development, Michael E. Lamb

Tasker, F. (2005). Lesbian mothers, gay fathers and their children: A
    review.
    Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 26,
    224–240.

Tasker, F. (2010) Same-sex parenting and child development: Reviewing the contribution of parental gender, Journal of Marriage and Family

Consensus Positions

American Psychological AssocationSexual Orientation, Parents, & Children

Amicus brief submitted in support of 9th Circuit Court of Appeals challenge to California Prop 8

Lesbian and Gay Parenting Resource Publication

Canadian Psychological Association

Brief presented to the Legislative House of Commons Committee on Bill
    C38

American Academy of Pediatrics

Policy statement - Coparent or second-parent adoption by same-sex parents

American Academy of Pediatrics Supports Same Gender Civil Marriage

Australian Psychological Society

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) parented families - A literature review

American Psychoanalytic Association

Position statement on Gay and Lesbian Parenting

American Psychiatric Association

Position Statement in Support of Legal Recognition of Same-Sex Civil Marriage

North American Council on Adoptable Children

Gay and Lesbian Adoptions and Foster Care

Royal College of Psychiatrists

Submission to the Church of England's Listening Exercise on Human Sexuality

American Academy of Child & Adolescent Pscyhiatry

Children with lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender parents

American National Association of Social Workers

Amicus brief - California Supreme Court - Case No. S147999

Legal Decisions

Third District Court of Appeal, State of Florida, Docket No. 3D08-3044
    "As a result, based on the robust nature of the evidence available in the field, this Court is satisfied that the issue is so far beyond dispute that it would be irrational to hold otherwise; the best interests of children are not preserved by prohibiting homosexual adoption."
    Yeah, but that is just like science and stuff. All the people in those links are part of the gay agenda and therefore can't be trusted. Jimi knows, because he had a mother and father, that having a mother and father is right, therefore everything else is wrong. In the alternative, Jimi is right because god.

MrP

Unfortunately, those attitudes are widespread. This other site I post on is looking for new members, a bit of diversity, perhaps some of you might like to tackle ignorance by joining?

Done. Will have a look round later.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Meh. I looked in the Football forum and they were discussing nothing but Soccer. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Meh. I looked in the Football forum and they were discussing nothing but Soccer. :mad:

eek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

What about biscuits? Anyone there like Hawaiian pizzas?

The deviants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

And did they all like soccer? Group think!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

And did they all like soccer? Group think!

Most of them are only pretending to like soccer so that they can appear cool and trendy. This time next year they'll be pretending to like badminton or what have you when liking soccer is no longer seen as the best way to shock your parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

His sexual activity is irrelevant. If he has orgies nightly or is completely celibate it has no bearing. The issue is the promotion of homosexuality as perfectly fine and good. Like I said, that seems perfectly acceptable to those who agree with it, but there are many parents who do not want their childrens school being used as a platform to promote such an idea. Would you like to see primary schools being used to promote the idea that gay is not good?

But homosexuality is fine. Unless you know something the rest of us dont? Or maybe you just read it in a book with no citations to back it up.

Appeal to nature

I prefer pTerry's formulation, as expressed by Mrs. Palm when the Seamstresses' Guild were discussing whether to accept Mr. Harris of the Blue Cat Club as a member:
    Rosie Palm wrote:
    Un-natural acts are only natural

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Quinn has decided to give the ghey the day off......now its the transsexual community that get ranted it....
    http://www.irishcatholic.ie/article/%E2%80%98gender-bending%E2%80%99-comes-your-local-primary-school

I'll open the bidding with "shitehawk".

Quinn's never heard of children born who's gender isn't apparent, obviously.

Quinn has decided to give the ghey the day off......now its the transsexual community that get ranted it....
    http://www.irishcatholic.ie/article/%E2%80%98gender-bending%E2%80%99-comes-your-local-primary-school

I wish I could go higher, but it'll probably earn a yellow card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I wish I could go higher, but it'll probably earn a yellow card.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*throws shoe*

Hmmm...
    sh*tehawk wrote:
    There was a time, basically from the beginning of human history until roughly yesterday, when it was easy to decide what sex a baby was. You picked the baby, looked at a certain part of the body, and that was that. It was either a boy or a girl.

Except, it wasn't. Quinn might want to believe that life is simple and always has been and that things just one or the other, but that's not the case, and for poor children who were born with ambiguities... well, people who held fast to the idea that the world should be simple and there should be only one or the other took upon themselves to perform unnecessary surgeries on these children without their consent, because the world is simple damnit.

Links234 wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Except, it wasn't. Quinn might want to believe that life is simple and always has been and that things just one or the other, but that's not the case, and for poor children who were born with ambiguities... well, people who held fast to the idea that the world should be simple and there should be only one or the other took upon themselves to perform unnecessary surgeries on these children without their consent, because the world is simple damnit.
    His level of ignorance, which is presumably willful, is actually shocking.

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Interesting one from Cincinatti a few weeks back - the archdiocese was quite open about the degree of conformity expected of the teachers. The contract appears to be a general text used for all teachers, regardless of whether they're teaching religion or not.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/lauretta-brown/archdiocese-defends-teacher-contract-banning-cohabitation-gay-lifestyle
    4. Teacher-Minister agrees, without limitation, to comply with all policies, handbooks, rules and regulations of the School and of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati. Teacher-Minister also agrees to exemplify Catholic principles and to refrain from any conduct or lifestyle which would reflect discredit on or cause scandal to the School or be in contradiction to Catholic doctrine or morals. Such conduct or lifestyle that is in contradiction to Catholic doctrine or morals includes, but is not limited to, improper use of social media/communication, public support of or publicly living together outside marriage, public support of or sexual activity out of wedlock, public support of or homosexual lifestyle, public support of or use of abortion, public support of or use of a surrogate mother, public support of or use of in vitro fertilization or artificial insemination, public membership in organizations whose mission and message are incompatible with Catholic doctrine or morals, and/or flagrant deceit or dishonesty. Teacher-Minister further agrees to teach and act consistently in accordance with the mission statement of the School and to strive to aid in the formation of students by personal witness to the stated philosophy and teachings of the Roman Catholic Church (these can be found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church http://vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM).

[...]

21.I. I acknowledge and agree that the work of the Catholic Church, its agencies and institutions, has characteristics that make it different from the work of other agencies and institutions.

21.II. I acknowledge and agree that with others I share the common purpose of working diligently to maintain and strengthen the Catholic Church and its members. By word and example I will reflect all the religious values of the Catholic Church.

21.VIII. I acknowledge and agree to act and speak in a way that supports the Catholic Church and its teachings. I understand that serious actions contrary to the Church’s teachings (including but not limited to improper use of social media/communication, public support of or publicly living together outside marriage, public support of or sexual activity out of wedlock, public support of or homosexual lifestyle, public support of or use of abortion, public support of or use of a surrogate mother, public support of or use of in vitro fertilization or artificial insemination, public membership in organizations whose mission and message are incompatible with Catholic doctrine or morals, and/or flagrant deceit or dishonesty) will not be tolerated.

The more Quinn, O'Brien and gang write, the more they demonstrate their total lack of empathy for anyone who isn't Just Like Them. What would Jesus think of you, David?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,235 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I know we all throw about a few digs and insults at him, but in all honesty and sincerity, and being as respectful towards him as possible, he seriously lacks any empathy. He constantly puts forth an attitude completely devoid of any consideration for what it must be like to not think exactly like he does. Even his "What about the children?" and "What about persecution of Christians?" schtick comes across as being a defence of his own beliefs rather than a defence of the rights of others.

Again, I love to throw digs at him as much as the next man (unless the next man is Sarky :D), but in all sincerity, he really is a narcissistic and selfish little man.

I wonder if this latest from David is coincidental to the TV3 Series Irish Lives: My Transgender Journey, kicking off last night. Maybe he check up on what's on other TV stations besides RTE.

Well, he did appear on Vincent Browne once. I was saddened not to see Vincent rip into him as if he were a Government backbencher.

If you give me to morning, I'll invent some, and dredge up some old favourites.

Penn wrote: »
    I know we all throw about a few digs and insults at him, but in all honesty and sincerity, and being as respectful towards him as possible, he seriously lacks any empathy.

Of course he doesn't, he's filled with religiosity. Remember the more strident a person is about how great the stuff the voices in their head tells them, the less ability they have to contemplate what it feels like for their fellow man and woman.

Edit: Where is Sarky? I miss him/her/it.

T'is remarkable how so few think so many have lost the plot lately. First it was John Waters, now it's David Quinn. Is plot the new black in media circles? I had been wondering if they were in a competition to martyrize themselves by making outrageous statemnts, but thought again... they couldn't be so bold as to try something like that at Easter-time, it would be so un-P.C.

• Advertisement

Some religious persons of different faiths in the US are forming a Pro SSM group. There is mention that at least one of the leaders see's no biblical justification for opposing SSM. http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/04/19/us-colorado-faith-leaders-form-coalition-to-back-same-sex-marriage/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

aloyisious wrote: »
    Some religious persons of different faiths in the US are forming a Pro SSM group. There is mention that at least one of the leaders seem's no biblical justification for opposing SSM. http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/04/19/us-colorado-faith-leaders-form-coalition-to-back-same-sex-marriage/

Well, there isn't a biblical justification for opposing SSM. Or to be correct, there is no biblical justification for opposing SSM which won't leave you looking like a complete hypocrite and douchebag.

There are only a finite number of references to homosexuality in the Bible and even combined, they don't add up to an argument against gay marriage.

Obviously the most oft-quoted passage in the Bible concerning gay marriage is Leviticus 18:22, and by extension Leviticus 20:13. However, two things are already apparent.
    Firstly, Leviticus is a penal code listing offences and their accompanying sentences. The two can't really be divorced from each other. So if you're going to advocate homosexuality as bad on the basis of 18:22, then you should also advocate the punishment in 20:13, otherwise you're just a hypocritical douchebag.
    Secondly, there are other offences and punishments in Leviticus which the overwhelming majority of Christians completely ignore while loudly shouting about 18:22, prohibitions against planting two different crops side by side (19:19), divination (19:26), eating pork (11:7), eating shellfish (11:12), eating blood (17:10), tattoos (19:28).
    Also, while we're on the subject of Leviticus, just how bad exactly can homosexuality be? After all, only two verses in the entire book are devoted to it. Mould is obviously far more dangerous and offensive to God's sensibilities since a whopping 36 verses are devoted to dealing with it.

For the moment we'll move to the New Testament but we'll get back to it in a bit.
    So what prohibitions are in the NT against homosexuality. Well, unsurprisingly most of the noise against homosexuality. Unsurprising not only because of Paul's significant contribution to the NT in terms of volume but also because of Paul's pretty warped sense of morality.
    He outlines his stance in several verses but particularly:

"For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet."
    Romans 1:26-27

"But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine; According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust."
    1 Timothy 8:11

Of course, just like Leviticus above, most people don't put a lot of stock in what Paul has to say about morality. After all, how many Christians really follow Pauline doctrines like:

" A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet."
    1 Timothy 2:11-12

"Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything."
    Ephesians 5:22-24

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters in every respect, not only when they are watching – like those who are strictly people-pleasers – but with a sincere heart, fearing the Lord."
    Colossians 3:22

"Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church."
    1 Corinthians 14:34-35

So again, by all means shout about how the NT opposes SSM. But be prepared to look like a complete hypocritical douchebag.

Now, to turn to the one story which is referenced in both the New and Old Testaments as a commentary against homosexuality: the sin of Sodom. Many modern Christians interpret the sin of Sodom as homosexuality. However, this is not explicitly stated in the story. Moreover, we have passages like this:

"Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good."
    Ezekiel 16:49-50

and this:

"The owner of the house went outside and said to them, “No, my friends, don’t be so vile. Since this man is my guest, don’t do this outrageous thing. Look, here is my virgin daughter, and his concubine. I will bring them out to you now, and you can use them and do to them whatever you wish. But as for this man, don’t do such an outrageous thing.”
    Judges 19:23-24

show that the authors of the OT meant to describe inhospitality and rudeness to guests as the sin of Sodom and not homosexuality. Indeed the passage from Judges above is a close parallel of Genesis 19.

After all, this there doesn't seem to be much of a solid justification for opposing SSM in the bible. But wait there's more. We also have to consider the inherently contradictory nature of the Bible. Take this passage for example:

"And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul. "
    1 Samuel 18:1

or this:

"I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women."
    2 Samuel 1:26

The story of David and Johnathan is widely regarded (or at least was by early Jewish oral tradition) as a homosexual relationship, one which seemed to find some degree of acceptance within the society of the time. It is commented in the Mishnah:

“Whenever love depends on some selfish end, when the end passes away, the love passes away; but if it does not depend on some selfish end, it will never pass away. Which love depended on a selfish end? This was the love of Amnon and Tamar. And which did not depend on a selfish end? This was the love of David and Jonathan."

So, is there a solid justification for opposing SSM in the bible? Well as I said no unless you wish to come across as a hypocrite. But then that doesn't stop some Christians.

Big C or small c? :D

Edited mine above, didn't mean to put an M in the see's word before no biblical justification....

Well, there isn't a biblical justification for opposing SSM. Or to be correct, there is no biblical justification for opposing SSM which won't leave you looking like a complete hypocrite and douchebag.

There are only a finite number of references to homosexuality in the Bible and even combined, they don't add up to an argument against gay marriage.

Obviously the most oft-quoted passage in the Bible concerning gay marriage is Leviticus 18:22, and by extension Leviticus 20:13. However, two things are already apparent.
    Firstly, Leviticus is a penal code listing offences and their accompanying sentences. The two can't really be divorced from each other. So if you're going to advocate homosexuality as bad on the basis of 18:22, then you should also advocate the punishment in 20:13, otherwise you're just a hypocritical douchebag.
    Secondly, there are other offences and punishments in Leviticus which the overwhelming majority of Christians completely ignore while loudly shouting about 18:22, prohibitions against planting two different crops side by side (19:19), divination (19:26), eating pork (11:7), eating shellfish (11:12), eating blood (17:10), tattoos (19:28).
    Also, while we're on the subject of Leviticus, just how bad exactly can homosexuality be? After all, only two verses in the entire book are devoted to it. Mould is obviously far more dangerous and offensive to God's sensibilities since a whopping 36 verses are devoted to dealing with it.

For the moment we'll move to the New Testament but we'll get back to it in a bit.
    So what prohibitions are in the NT against homosexuality. Well, unsurprisingly most of the noise against homosexuality. Unsurprising not only because of Paul's significant contribution to the NT in terms of volume but also because of Paul's pretty warped sense of morality.
    He outlines his stance in several verses but particularly:

"For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet."
    Romans 1:26-27

"But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine; According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust."
    1 Timothy 8:11

Of course, just like Leviticus above, most people don't put a lot of stock in what Paul has to say about morality. After all, how many Christians really follow Pauline doctrines like:

" A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet."
    1 Timothy 2:11-12

"Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything."
    Ephesians 5:22-24

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters in every respect, not only when they are watching – like those who are strictly people-pleasers – but with a sincere heart, fearing the Lord."
    Colossians 3:22

"Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church."
    1 Corinthians 14:34-35

So again, by all means shout about how the NT opposes SSM. But be prepared to look like a complete hypocritical douchebag.

Now, to turn to the one story which is referenced in both the New and Old Testaments as a commentary against homosexuality: the sin of Sodom. Many modern Christians interpret the sin of Sodom as homosexuality. However, this is not explicitly stated in the story. Moreover, we have passages like this:

"Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good."
    Ezekiel 16:49-50

and this:

"The owner of the house went outside and said to them, “No, my friends, don’t be so vile. Since this man is my guest, don’t do this outrageous thing. Look, here is my virgin daughter, and his concubine. I will bring them out to you now, and you can use them and do to them whatever you wish. But as for this man, don’t do such an outrageous thing.”
    Judges 19:23-24

show that the authors of the OT meant to describe inhospitality and rudeness to guests as the sin of Sodom and not homosexuality. Indeed the passage from Judges above is a close parallel of Genesis 19.

After all, this there doesn't seem to be much of a solid justification for opposing SSM in the bible. But wait there's more. We also have to consider the inherently contradictory nature of the Bible. Take this passage for example:

"And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul. "
    1 Samuel 18:1

or this:

"I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women."
    2 Samuel 1:26

The story of David and Johnathan is widely regarded (or at least was by early Jewish oral tradition) as a homosexual relationship, one which seemed to find some degree of acceptance within the society of the time. It is commented in the Mishnah:

“Whenever love depends on some selfish end, when the end passes away, the love passes away; but if it does not depend on some selfish end, it will never pass away. Which love depended on a selfish end? This was the love of Amnon and Tamar. And which did not depend on a selfish end? This was the love of David and Jonathan."

So, is there a solid justification for opposing SSM in the bible? Well as I said no unless you wish to come across as a hypocrite. But then that doesn't stop some Christians.
    Hopefully Jimmi will return soon and explain how you have it completely wrong. I expect it has something to do with either context or reading with eyes instead of blood pumping organ.

MrP

lazygal wrote: »
    The more Quinn, O'Brien and gang write, the more they demonstrate their total lack of empathy for anyone who isn't Just Like Them. What would Jesus think of you, David?

I'd love if there was evidence to prove that Jesus was gay or bi. Wouldn't that just melt their heads?:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement