Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Insurance quote

• 17-04-2014 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

just got my car insurance renewal quote in an email for €477, last years was €350, so i went on the website and entered the exact details and it came back with a quote of €353,, i wonder is the email amount a mistake or are they chancing their arm?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

shane. wrote: »
    just got my car insurance renewal quote in an email for €477, last years was €350, so i went on the website and entered the exact details and it came back with a quote of €353,, i wonder is the email amount a mistake or are they chancing their arm?!

Which company ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I found my renewal this year up to 562 from 490 last year. It's gone up across the board. Just make sure your getting new quotes like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

pa990 wrote: »
    Which company ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are chancing their arm in the hope some people are lazy or oblivious to shopping around for a better quote. And you would be surprised by the amount of people who still don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Last years AIG premium €620, renewal this year €820, I went with Alliance €466.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

bazz26 wrote: »
    They are chancing their arm in the hope some people are lazy or oblivious to shopping around for a better quote. And you would be surprised by the amount of people who still don't.

This sums it up. People generally accept what's sent to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Got a renewal quote from 123.ie for 470, up from 360. Did a few searches online and best ones were coming in at about 420-450. Then tried 25plus.ie. Got a quote of €330 comparable with the policy I have. Left it for the weekend. Got an email from them today with a €35 discount voucher. Used the voucher on my quote. Very happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Welcome to the world of inertia pricing.

The troubles at RSA may have also contributed to the higher quote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I know this post is invalid since Im not in Ireland but this year my insurance is down to less than $600, a saving about a grand. I suppose its about 450 euro? :D

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Same happened with my insurance only with a different company. My quote was something like €450 whereas the previous year I'd paid €330. I went on the website and got a quote which came in at round about what I'd paid the previous year and when I rang up to see why my renewal was over €100 dearer than what was quoted on the internet I was told that the internet rate was for new customers only. The best they could do was reduce my quote by €50, needless to say I took my business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Same thing happened to me with 123

Went witg Fbd instead got 150 off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Plug wrote: »
    I know this post is invalid since Im not in Ireland but this year my insurance is down to less than $600, a saving about a grand. I suppose its about 450 euro? :D

With what you're driving that makes you a complete and utter w@%k&r:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

True true:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭andrew1977

My renewal came line last month from 123.ie, almost doubled in priced from laster year, yet no change to my circumstances,cover etc.

Shopped around, found prices had gone up somewhat , but not to the level 123.ie had wanted.

Ended up going with simplyinsure.ie , which came in the cheapest for me and with all the cover that suited my needs

123.ie called me to ask why I had not renewed, offered me 100 euro discount because i was a "loyal "customer "
    Your grand thanks, you can shove your 100 euro discount , you dont try and fleece loyal customers in the first place.

Shop around every year for insurance. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

You are at liberty to phone your Company and tell them it' too dear, usually reults in a reduction and save all the hastle of changing COmpanies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

shane. wrote: »

FBD do this to me all the time. This year i got a quote in the post and was around 840 or so. Went online, and did it, and got it for 620. Massive difference.

I hate being a young driver :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Best advice is to shop around until you can get the best quotation.

Then compare the benefits, Comp, breakdown assistance, protected NCB etc....

Remember Insurance Companies brandish about mOrketing bull**** like great deals for loyal customers. Insurance Companies have no loyalty to anyone but themselves. They are motivated by greed. Greed is good, maximise profits!

Each year is a new 12 month contract, shop around via brokers, internet and direct underwriters. It is your money so well worth shopping around.

Be under no illusion just because you got the best deal from Company A last year that they will be the best year.

There is no layman's logic to how Companies calculate their rates, despite what Actuaries may tell you. Remember Actuaries are Accountants without a sense of humour!

corktina wrote: »
    You are at liberty to phone your Company and tell them it' too dear, usually reults in a reduction and save all the hastle of changing COmpanies.

Fair comment, however why didn't they offer their best price at renewal?

Of course they are relying on x amount of customers who simply don't bother shopping around or are simply to busy to use the internet or call a few Companies or brokers.

Really there is very little hassle in moving Insurer's .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Involved in the insurance business myself (as a broker) and once you go direct with an insurer, you are going to get rate hikes at renewal in the hope that you just lazily roll it over.

123.ie seen increases because they are underwritten by RSA and if you have opened a newspaper in the last few months, you will know the Irish side of this company was found to be in serious trouble, and in breach of Central Bank regulations, hence they are trying to recover losses. Simple as that.

A broker will check the market for you approx 30 days before renewal, issue out your existing terms and in the meantime offer alternatives whilst trying to keep the cover as comprehensive as you require.

I know myself that we would put your details to at least seven insurers - Allianz, Aviva, Axa, Patrona Underwriting, Sertus, Kennco and Wrightway Underwriting to name a few.

I always feel you would be better represented by a broker than dealing with an insurer yourself.

Corvo wrote: »
    Involved in the insurance business myself (as a broker) and once you go direct with an insurer, you are going to get rate hikes at renewal in the hope that you just lazily roll it over.

123.ie seen increases because they are underwritten by RSA and if you have opened a newspaper in the last few months, you will know the Irish side of this company was found to be in serious trouble, and in breach of Central Bank regulations, hence they are trying to recover losses. Simple as that.

A broker will check the market for you approx 30 days before renewal, issue out your existing terms and in the meantime offer alternatives whilst trying to keep the cover as comprehensive as you require.

I know myself that we would put your details to at least seven insurers - Allianz, Aviva, Axa, Patrona Underwriting, Sertus, Kennco and Wrightway Underwriting to name a few.

I always feel you would be better represented by a broker than dealing with an insurer yourself.

Very good reply!

Brokers are like your GP and have your best interest at heart. They have a good handle on the market and may even have schemes available for certain Age categories or high performance motors, classic cars.

Who are Kennco? Sounds like coffee to me!

Very good reply!

Brokers are like your GP and have your best interest at heart. They have a good handle on the market and may even have schemes available for certain Age categories or high performance motors, classic cars.

Who are Kennco? Sounds like coffee to me!

They are based in Rathfarnham and provide motor / house products to brokers. Hence if you generally go to insurers direct, you won't have come across them.

And yeah, when I first started in the industry, I thought my co-workers were taking the piss out of me when they told me about Kennco! :)

They are based in Rathfarnham and provide motor / house products to brokers. Hence if you generally go to insurers direct, you won't have come across them.

And yeah, when I first started in the industry, I thought my co-workers were taking the piss out of me when they told me about Kennco! :)

Thank you, very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Of course brokers get a commission from the insurer in return for this service, generally increasing the premium in comparison to going direct, for example an online quote. Brokers are more necessary in commercial lines in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Insurers know most people don't shop around. Most people actually leave their car to last minute to renew. They just just renew with their existing company. I remember a certain company wanted €980 for house insurance. I phoned around and 123 quoted €480 for the exact same policy.

Don't forget polices now have a levy on them

Pythia wrote: »
    Of course brokers get a commission from the insurer in return for this service, generally increasing the premium in comparison to going direct, for example an online quote. Brokers are more necessary in commercial lines in my opinion.

To be fair I guess they earn a commission. I'm sure the commission is factored in by the Insurers when pricing their products.

Yes they are most definitely necessary in the area of Commercial Insurances due to the complex nature and variety of Commercial Enterprises needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

Just switched insurance myself. From no nonsense to liberty and saving a little over 300 euro on the renewal price and getting a few more bits included.
    Over the years I have been with about 5 different companies and it's always worth pricing around and not going with the first renewal offer.

pawrick wrote: »
    Just switched insurance myself. From no nonsense to liberty and saving a little over 300 euro on the renewal price and getting a few more bits included.
    Over the years I have been with about 5 different companies and it's always worth pricing around and not going with the first renewal offer.

Great Saving. Do Liberty deal with customers directly or through brokers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Great Saving. Do Liberty deal with customers directly or through brokers?

Both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

ah had the same story as the OP with a broker in sligo and they arent all that! went up just shy of 100 (they always sent out the best quote apparently), got a dozen quotes 1 was higher. AA through Allianz came top and bet the renewal by €315 (c40% off) while adding step back & business use after some negotiation.
    Aviva not too far behind, i guess your man didnt believe me when i said is this your best quote cos if your beaten i wont be back!
    Allianz themselves were 3rd

cant beat shopping around!
    strangely tho outside of the AA, all the brokers had the highest quotes this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

I can only share my own experience and that was with a broker. My insurance at renewal came back at X. I pressed the broker and got another company at much less. They all prey on the lazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Satanta wrote: »
    I can only share my own experience and that was with a broker. My insurance at renewal came back at X. I pressed the broker and got another company at much less. They all prey on the lazy!

Judging by your username, I don't think anyone should be taking your advice :pac: :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Been lucky so far, been with No Nonsense for several years and my premium has stayed the same, €300 and a bit. It did go up, but only because I added extras.
    At that price and the rate they're going I will stay with them over cheaper quotes, which I can only assume to be special offers designed to hoik me in and then the premium will go up steeply.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Insurance rates for me varied between 400 and nearly 800 iirc. For very similar cover. I think I tried everyone!

Has anyone's renewal letter ever been lower than previous years? Doubt it.

Pythia wrote: »

Brokers however are also privvy to excellent rates due to attracting large volumes of business.

If it was the case that the only reason brokers had Personal Lines business was because clients didn't want to go through online quotations, then I doubt they would have the level of business they do.

Rates are just as good if not better and you are also better protected when it comes to battling a claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Got a renewal quote from 123.ie for 470, up from 360. Did a few searches online and best ones were coming in at about 420-450. Then tried 25plus.ie. Got an email from them today with a €35 discount voucher. Used the voucher on my quote. Very happy with that.

Cheers for this. Renewed with 25plus.ie today for €380 as compared to the crazy €740 I was quoted for 123.ie who I've been with the last few years. Massive massive difference!! Waited a few days for the discount voucher but no sign, doesn't matter though.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Cheers for this. Renewed with 25plus.ie today for €380 as compared to the crazy €740 I was quoted for 123.ie who I've been with the last few years. Massive massive difference!! Waited a few days for the discount voucher but no sign, doesn't matter though.

Who are the underwriters ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

AIG were underwriters for my 25plus.ie policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    AIG were underwriters for my 25plus.ie policy

Let's hope AIG don't go over streatching themselves in the derivatives market and need a bailout like they did 5 years ago! Couldn't resist:D

On a more serious note. I've always found that shopping around for quotes and then going back to your current insurer works well. With Liberty directly and got them down from 980 to 770 on a golf gti by doing this:)

Just shows you, they all chance their arm and it's down to you to ask the questions:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

got my quote of 800 euro for this year on the 1.6 focus..

I'm not very happy with it like it's still pretty high but that's the cheapest i could find. I might try and get a smaller car to run..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Just got this year's renewal quote from 123 and as expected its shot up over 100 quid.

Any suggestions on who I should try for a quote lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Jesus. wrote: »
    Just got this year's renewal quote from 123 and as expected its shot up over 100 quid.

I got a renewal quote from Liberty of €980 back in November, moved to FBD for €520 - both fully comprehensive. :pac:

Right, I'll give them a go Davey lad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm afraid if you want the best cover at the best price then there is no short cut. You will need to put aside an hour or two, get out the goldenpages and ring them all including brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

FBD

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm afraid if you want the best cover at the best price then there is no short cut. You will need to put aside an hour or two, get out the goldenpages and ring them all including brokers.

Feck that Yellow pages lark. Sure amn't I talking to you via the 'tinternet ;)

I'll try a few different Sites and see what I come up with, Bazzer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Feck that Yellow pages lark. Sure amn't I talking to you via the 'tinternet ;)

I'll try a few different Sites and see what I come up with, Bazzer

No!
    You have to take a day of work and ring them all!
    The you ring them back in a different voice. Different voice, different quote.
    And yes, I am insured with no nonsense. My quote hasn't gone up in years and it's still €340ish. :pac: