Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Z1 Compact

Options
  • 20-03-2014 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Thinking of getting this phone sim free over the weekend. Anyone using it? I've read reviews but looking for actual users thoughts too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Used one for a week or so as a tester from Sony.

Have to admit, its a fantastic phone and I'm not a massive Sony fan by any means. It was very fluid, battery life was surprisingly good and the specs are the same as the Z1 essentially.

It made a pleasant change from the usual bulky feeling Sony phones, I'd certainly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 userone123

Thanks Sonics2K. How did you find the camera flash? I have read on line it's pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

userone123 wrote: »
    Thanks Sonics2K. How did you find the camera flash? I have read on line it's pretty bad.

Sorry about that, busy day and all.

The Flash was a bit weak I guess, but I didn't find it particularly diminished the photos I took. The only thing I'm now mad about with Sony phones is the icons, but that's easily changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

userone123 wrote: »
    Thinking of getting this phone sim free over the weekend. Anyone using it? I've read reviews but looking for actual users thoughts too.

Did you get one yet?

Also thinking of getting one SIM free. Carphone Warehouse don't have them yet - possibly because of the Meteor exclusive - but Expansys.ie have them at what seems like a very competitive price - €479:

http://www.expansys.ie/sony-xperia-z1-compact-black-257573/

Am I missing something there?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

I'm thinking of getting one too. The Z1 seems like decent spec, however I found it too pic when looking at the display model but notcied the Z1 Compact the other day, which was a bit more to my taste.

Would anyone recommend it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

I'm thinking of getting one too. The Z1 seems like decent spec, however I found it too pic when looking at the display model but notcied the Z1 Compact the other day, which was a bit more to my taste.

Would anyone recommend it?

Mine arrived from Expansys yesterday and it's very nice. It's going to be a pity to put a case on it but needs must.

Sony still seem to think their users go scuba diving more often than they need to charge their phone so my main gripe is that they've kept the fiddly (but waterproof!) cover on the charger slot.

My Xperia S had become very slow so the speed of the new phone is a joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Anyone see any good deals around on this phone? Cheapest i've seen is 439 on meteor PAYG...

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Got my sim free z1 compact from amazon on Friday and I'm well happy.

Had a galaxy s2 since that was release so I was well due a change in phone. I felt the z1 was a tab to big and the smaller version is what made my mind up.

I really a lot of positive reviews about this phone and I have to agree with them it's a great phone.

Design and build quality are top notch, phone is very fast, screen quality fantastic. A nice feature is it adjusts to the light.

A lot of reviews complained of finger prints etc on the phone but I don't find this as a big issue.

The best part of the phone by far is the battery, with real full on heavy use (4G, browsing online, watching films, downloading films etc...) and I'm easily getting a day and a half. Normal use I could get 2 or 3 days easy.

Camera is great and bad, in low light it's not the best but I've found a few settings and think I may have improved it just waiting to test it again. The camera apps are great, haven't tried a night pic with the flash yet, once I do I'll let you know.

I've tried it under water and have had no issues, took a picture under water and the phone works perfect after it.

Sound quality is also quiet good, great with the headphones in.

All in all I think it's a really great phone. The only difference in this and the z1 is screen size/battery size. I've used the z1 and really there is no difference.

If you need to know anything else about the phone just ask and I'll do by best to answer.

As for price is cost me €470 sim free from amazon.

Just an update, there is a brightness option which improves the light in low lighting situations and works a treat now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

I presume we'll be waiting a while for the Z2 Compact?!

• Advertisement

Pacifico wrote: »
    I presume we'll be waiting a while for the Z2 Compact?!

If previous releases are anything to go by, most likely the end of the year/beginning of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

The_Shotz wrote: »
    Got my sim free z1 compact from amazon on Friday and I'm well happy......

All in all I think it's a really great phone. The only difference in this and the z1 is screen size/battery size. I've used the z1 and really there is no difference.

If you need to know anything else about the phone just ask and I'll do by best to answer.

Can you activate the recorder during a call ? ie. can you record an active phone call on this device. Or is it neccessary to use an app? If so does it record both sides of the call without being on loud speaker (like, as far as I can see, most apps seem to require). Are you still as happy with the phone, at this stage. Thanks, in advance, for any response.

Advertisement