Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crucifix conflict splits Kerry county council

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Being from the county in question and having a whole host of Final Failures in my family I can state that this sort of nonsense is on-going and constant. It is not one councillor, it is endemic within the party and the folk who follow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Does this make Kerry the 'murica of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Galvasean wrote: »
    Does this make Kerry the 'murica of Ireland?

Nah - Northern Ireland is our true bible belt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

He had consulted the local imam and people of the Muslim religion had no objection to the crucifix
    I can imagine the conversation;
    "OK Mr. Muslim, we're going to put up a big crucifix in the county council chamber. Because this is a catholic country. You're not going to give us any trouble over this are you? (No) OK good. See you around."

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Can sensible people now get a refund on their local property tax ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ninja900 wrote: »

oh ffs
    backward bunch of hicks

Look what our "christian values" got us since the formation of the Irish state, hardly a beacon of forward thinking, good living and happy lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

What's a "standard size" crucifix?

Either way, it's ridiculous they would expend so much energy on this stupid motion that isn't going to benefit the public, just a few people in the chamber itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

We should have a competition to see who can appropriate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Well if its the standard size that you see around peoples necks, I would have no problem nicking it.
    If its the life sized version that you might see up on the wall of a church, that presents a logistical problem. I might be mistaken for Jesus as I carried it away up the street. Maybe even jeered and stoned by Kerrymen as I struggled under the weight of it.

• Advertisement

Well the issue brought the Civil War to an end with Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael joining forces against the godless.

(On the side issue: Cabaal's 'backward bunch of hicks' and his notion that people in Kerry think collectively makes we wonder if secular urban sophisticates also share a common viewpoint.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    What's a "standard size" crucifix?

Either way, it's ridiculous they would expend so much energy on this stupid motion that isn't going to benefit the public, just a few people in the chamber itself.

Scale 1:1 life sized replica

The roman execution posts were about 20' high. Surely this yoke is not actual size.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Banbh wrote: »
    (On the side issue: Cabaal's 'backward bunch of hicks' and his notion that people in Kerry think collectively makes we wonder if secular urban sophisticates also share a common viewpoint.)

Stop electing backwards hicks, problem solved.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

ninja900 wrote: »
    Stop electing backwards hicks, problem solved.
    Rural communities elect people we can laugh at. urban communities however, seem to have form for electing those candidates that do real damage to the country. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

They should put up crosses and crucify those that come out with stupid crap. Their crucified others will serve as a reminder of what happens when they say something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Rural communities elect people we can laugh at. urban communities however, seem to have form for electing those candidates that do real damage to the country. :p

Dun Laoghaire Library...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

limerick http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/council-meeting-in-prayer-debacle-274887.html
    The Cathaoirleach of Limerick City and County Council, Kevin Sheahan, has decided that until the matter is sorted out, meetings will commence with members standing in silence.

“If the council decide to continue by commencing meetings with a prayer, then members who do not agree will have the opportunity to stand outside.

“The councillors who are objecting to the prayer felt it was kind of sprung on them at the first meeting. The council members will be balloted on the matter.”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

"will have the opportunity to stand outside."
    Ah, that's nice of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Atheists or those who don't fancy an auld pray can be separate, but equal. How convenient to be allowed to stand outside a door while appeals to a deity take place.

This is also the 'solution' offered in many schools when indoctrination takes place, so no wonder the county councils think its grand too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

He makes "the opportunity to stand outside" sound like a new right that we ought to be celebrating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they also serve who only stand and wait outside.

• Moderators Posts: 51,719 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

robindch wrote: »
    Ah, that's nice of him.

why don't those that want to pray step outside....... and head down the street to the local church??

If you can read this, you're too close!

SW wrote: »
    why don't those that want to pray step outside....... and head down the street to the local church??

..and stay there until their need to worship has passed.

How about the just stand up and swear to the people that they'll perform their job to the best of their ability and in the interest of the people of their county at all times and that they'll be honest and not corrupt?

SpaceTime wrote: »
    How about the just stand up and swear to the people that they'll perform their job to the best of their ability and in the interest of the people of their county at all times and that they'll be honest and not corrupt?

How about they just get on with the task at hand? I don't need to swear an oath when I start work every day. I just, ya know, do my job properly. Even without an image of a Jewish man being tortured to death hanging on the wall.

lazygal wrote: »
    How about they just get on with the task at hand? I don't need to swear an oath when I start work every day. I just, ya know, do my job properly. Even without an image of a Jewish man being tortured to death hanging on the wall.

Considering the history of Irish local political corruption, an oath mightn't be a bad idea tho. Very few other professions are that untrustworthy or forget what their actual remit is with such frequency.

Prayers at meetings of legislative bodies is really very dodgy though and the fact they're actually having a fight about it just shows them as really out of touch with the reality of 21st century Ireland.

At times I think our political establishment is just about to reach the mid 1970s while the general public is firmly in 2014.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Considering the history of Irish local political corruption, an oath mightn't be a bad idea tho. Very few other professions are that untrustworthy or forget what their actual remit is with such frequency.

We could have a Seanad Solution, where the overtly Catholic prayer to start the day is followed by a minute's silence. Ronan Mullen helped sort that one out.

We could have a Seanad Solution, where the overtly Catholic prayer to start the day is followed by a minute's silence. Ronan Mullen helped sort that one out.

We could just abolish the councils entirely and hardly anyone would notice.

About 8 administrative regions would be more than adequate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Atheists or those who don't fancy an auld pray can be separate, but equal.

Where else did we have such "seperate, but equal" clauses before?

Advertisement