Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To tie or not to tie...

• 30-03-2011 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what's the general consensus on the wearing of a tie while working in an office / going to business meetings etc.

I used to always make sure I wore a tie when going to meetings etc. but I've noticed recently that more and more people are just wearing a suit and leaving the top shirt button open, with no tie.

I personally never liked wearing a tie as it always felt too constrictive, and I do feel a lot more comfortable without one. However; when I do show up and everyone else is wearing a tie I tend to feel a little under-dressed!

Am I reading too much into this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Bring a tie in your pocket and wear it if you feel neccesary.

I personally hate wearing one, and only do if I had to.

I had an interview for a promotion this morning and wore a shirt with the top button open... I got the job :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Tallon wrote: »

I had an interview for a promotion this morning and wore a shirt with the top button open... I got the job :)

That's great, it's always nice to hear of people doing well instead of all the doom and gloom :)

Op, as you said yourself more and more people are going without a tie these days so don't wear one if you're not comfortable.....

Even my 5 year old won't wear his tie to school :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's a pity in a way because ties can look great. However, I feel they work best with a full suit. If you're only wearing a shirt and pants, then a tie may be odd looking.

Like anything, make sure to buy good ties with nice patterns and colours. Bad ties are worse than not wearing a tie at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

A casual approach to wearing ties (or not wearing them) might be OK in the office where you are unlikely to meet with clients or people from out of the office but wherever that possibility exists then you have to wear a tie. It’s a professional thing.

A tie is an accessory to a suit and used properly it is devastatingly effective at making you look better. However a poor choice of tie can make you look terrible.

Personally I like ties and when wearing a suit I'll always wear a tie. At the end of the night, on the way home after a club or whatever I might loosen it off. This is especially enjoyable when wearing a bow tie as most men are scared witless the idea of tying them for some reason and are therefore are in awe of your awesomeness.

First things first.
    If you feel constricted then your shirt is too small. It's as simple as that. Get your neck measured and get a few proper fitting shirts. You should be able to get two fingers comfortable under your collar. I like my collars a little looser then that again (3 fingers) so I opt for a collar size a tad larger then the recommended.

Next, figure out what you want your tie for. As stated in the post it's for business. Don't do novelty ties! Blue is the colour for business. That should be your basic and first choice - plain blue - unpatterned. After getting a proper (€50+) basic tie you can start to play around with colour, pattern and construction. Second hand shops are wonderful places for getting ties.

Learn to tie proper knots. There are 4 basic knots that will be enough to see you through every eventuality and then there are dozens of other speciality/nobility knots for nights out. The four basics are the "4 in hand", the half Windsor, the full Windsor and the bowtie. Leaving the bowtie aside the differences are in the size of the finished knot so that the knot size matches the collar properly. The full Windsor is a large knot for wearing with wide spread collars while the 4 in hand (School boys knot) is the narrowest of knots for narrow spread shirts. Learn them and use them, Youtube is your friend on this.

Match your tie to your suit – size wise. The width of your tie should match the width of your lapel. When it's done right you look great, when it's done wrong you look like a tosser.

Fit your tie. The broad end of your tie should be just touching your belt when you have finished tying it.

Get a tie pin - they are seksy.

Remember though that rules can and on occasion should be broken. Wear a skinny tie with a wide spread collar. Wear a kipper tie with a slim-fit suit. Wear a knitted bow tie. Just know what sartorial rules you are breaking before breaking them. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

OldGoat wrote: »
    A casual approach to wearing ties (or not wearing them) might be OK in the office where you are unlikely to meet with clients or people from out of the office but wherever that possibility exists then you have to wear a tie. It’s a professional thing.

A tie is an accessory to a suit and used properly it is devastatingly effective at making you look better. However a poor choice of tie can make you look terrible.

Personally I like ties and when wearing a suit I'll always wear a tie. At the end of the night, on the way home after a club or whatever I might loosen it off. This is especially enjoyable when wearing a bow tie as most men are scared witless the idea of tying them for some reason and are therefore are in awe of your awesomeness.

First things first.
    If you feel constricted then your shirt is too small. It's as simple as that. Get your neck measured and get a few proper fitting shirts. You should be able to get two fingers comfortable under your collar. I like my collars a little looser then that again (3 fingers) so I opt for a collar size a tad larger then the recommended.

Next, figure out what you want your tie for. As stated in the post it's for business. Don't do novelty ties! Blue is the colour for business. That should be your basic and first choice - plain blue - unpatterned. After getting a proper (€50+) basic tie you can start to play around with colour, pattern and construction. Second hand shops are wonderful places for getting ties.

Learn to tie proper knots. There are 4 basic knots that will be enough to see you through every eventuality and then there are dozens of other speciality/nobility knots for nights out. The four basics are the "4 in hand", the half Windsor, the full Windsor and the bowtie. Leaving the bowtie aside the differences are in the size of the finished knot so that the knot size matches the collar properly. The full Windsor is a large knot for wearing with wide spread collars while the 4 in hand (School boys knot) is the narrowest of knots for narrow spread shirts. Learn them and use them, Youtube is your friend on this.

Match your tie to your suit – size wise. The width of your tie should match the width of your lapel. When it's done right you look great, when it's done wrong you look like a tosser.

Fit your tie. The broad end of your tie should be just touching your belt when you have finished tying it.

Remember though that rules can and on occasion should be broken. Wear a skinny tie with a wide spread collar. Wear a kipper tie with a slim-fit suit. Wear a knitted bow tie. Just know what sartorial rules you are breaking before breaking them. :)

:eek: - Jaysus.... Didn't realise how much there was to it! Appreciate all the interesting information though.

• Advertisement

pfffft, I've only just scratched the surface. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Great post OldGoat - I just want to add that I love ties on men (when they're done right!).

A tie is an opportunity for a man to express his style and women who are into their fashion will notice when a man is wearing a quality/good tie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

TIE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

First things first.

Apologies for dragging up old thread..

When you said you get a collar size bigger, how does the shirt fit you? Because I wear a 17" neck and I always feel that shirt hangs off the shoulders and is a bit too big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭compsys

Mc Love wrote: »
    Apologies for dragging up old thread..

When you said you get a collar size bigger, how does the shirt fit you? Because I wear a 17" neck and I always feel that shirt hangs off the shoulders and is a bit too big

I was about to say the exact same thing!

Oldgoat's opinion that if a tie feels too constricting then the shirt is simply too small is interesting but my experience is that it's practically impossible to get a loose collar and a slim shirt.

I buy all my shirts in H&M and Zara as I find both those stores great for the slimmer guy, but even though the shirts fit me perfectly I'm never able to even button the top button! Going up a size is useless as I find the shirts will then hang off me too.

I'd have to disagree on one point of Oldgoat's. I think spending €50 plus on a tie is a little excessive. If you have the money then go for it, sure, but you can find beautiful pure silk ties for far less i.e. circa. €35 in upmarket places like TM Lewin.

In relation to the OP's post I'd add that quite often the wearing of a tie will depend on what department/area you work in and not just the company. For example, it's far more uncommon for IT guys to wear ties than people in actuarial or accounting for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

compsys wrote: »
    I was about to say the exact same thing!

Oldgoat's opinion that if a tie feels too constricting then the shirt is simply too small is interesting but my experience is that it's practically impossible to get a loose collar and a slim shirt.

I buy all my shirts in H&M and Zara as I find both those stores great for the slimmer guy, but even though the shirts fit me perfectly I'm never able to even button the top button! Going up a size is useless as I find the shirts will then hang off me too.

I'd have to disagree on one point of Oldgoat's. I think spending €50 plus on a tie is a little excessive. If you have the money then go for it, sure, but you can find beautiful pure silk ties for far less i.e. circa. €35 in upmarket places like TM Lewin.

In relation to the OP's post I'd add that quite often the wearing of a tie will depend on what department/area you work in and not just the company. For example, it's far more uncommon for IT guys to wear ties than people in actuarial or accounting for example.

You'll need to get shirts tailored if you want a looser fitting collar with a slim fit.

With ties I'd quite happily spend upwards of €50 if it's a seven fold tie!

Of all my ties (about 20) my 3 favourites are ones I've picked up in charity shops from €5.00 to free. All are silk, two of which are extra long (I wear a 19" collar) and one is hand painted. Thats the one I got free with a blazer that cost me a fiver.:)

As for shirt fittings I never concider slim fit. I (personally) believe them to be an abomination and never to be seen. A shirt should be lose about the body. If you want it fitted to you then just tuck the fecking thing in. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Oldgoat - agree with everything you said bar the above.

Tie pins/clips are the work of satan, as are novelty and paisley ties (they will never come back into fashion).

I can just about manage a half-windsor first thing in the morning without having to worry about extra frippery.

The whole tie argument also depends on the dress culture of your workplace.

As one feminist once said (Germaine Greer possibly) about ties, they are just an opportunity for a man to wear a big arrow pointing to his cock.

I've never thought about them the same way since.

Oldgoat - agree with everything you said bar the above.

Tie pins/clips are the work of satan, as are novelty and paisley ties (they will never come back into fashion).

I can just about manage a half-windsor first thing in the morning without having to worry about extra frippery.

The whole tie argument also depends on the dress culture of your workplace.

As one feminist once said (Germaine Greer possibly) about ties, they are just an opportunity for a man to wear a big arrow pointing to his cock.

I've never thought about them the same way since.
    I don't think of ties/suits as being workwear, I wear 'em for pleasure and the frippery is an added bonus to me. Tie pins, cufflinks, arm bands, silver collar stays - to me all are delightful to wear and collect.

Agree with you on the paisley/novilety(sic) ties though, fukcing horrendous.

As for Ms Greer she did undoubtedly say a great many thing, few of them germane (see what I did there) to me. The tie quip strikes me as having as much veracity as equating a cigar to a penis. :)

Of all my ties (about 20) my 3 favourites are ones I've picked up in charity shops from €5.00 to free. All are silk, two of which are extra long (I wear a 19" collar) and one is hand painted. Thats the one I got free with a blazer that cost me a fiver.:)

As for shirt fittings I never concider slim fit. I (personally) believe them to be an abomination and never to be seen. A shirt should be lose about the body. If you want it fitted to you then just tuck the fecking thing in. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I totally have to disagree with you there. If you have to tuck in a t-shirt or a shirt or a jumper then it just doesn't fit you properly: simple. There's nothing worse than a loose, ill-fitting shirt on a guy.

Would you wear loose, baggy trousers to work?

You'll need to get shirts tailored if you want a looser fitting collar with a slim fit.

With ties I'd quite happily spend upwards of €50 if it's a seven fold tie!

Well as I said if you have the money then spend it I guess! Nice to see someone still has the money to splurge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I like wearing suits too OldGoat but dont get to that often as a famous man once said "Suit up"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

compsys wrote: »
    Sorry, but I totally have to disagree with you there. If you have to tuck in a t-shirt or a shirt or a jumper then it just doesn't fit you properly: simple. There's nothing worse than a loose, ill-fitting shirt on a guy.

Would you wear loose, baggy trousers to work?

Except if you're wearing a suit jacket then you must tuck in your shirt.. Not classy otherwise. If you're going out in a shirt and not!suit jacket then fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

OldGoat is spouting some awful nonsense here.

Tie pins are horrendous, completely the sort of tasteless gadgetism that most people find irritating and sad. Armbands... that must be some sort of joke, I haven't seen them in years, and even that was on a tailor... no one in their right mind would be seen dead walking about the office wearing them.

And to say that your first tie should be blue, and that it is the colour of business... is ridiculous! So I work in an accountant's office... should we all be wearing blue ties??

I would always wear a tie to a job interview, and then to my first day if successful. Then you'll quickly see the dress code in the place you're working... and follow suit... take off the tie if no one else is wearing one. It would certainly not make a good impression to turn up without a tie to an interview or first day in a company where the dress code includes wearing a tie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Have to disagree with you there OG! I'm a pretty tall guy and wear a 17" neck. If I pick up a 17" shirt in my sleeve length in a classic fit it's far too boxy. I have to get it tailored to get rid of the excess material in the mid-section. If I order slim fit shirts online they tend to be just about two to three inches tighter around the mid section. The difference a slim fit shirt makes for me is quite noticeable.

By the way, where do you get extra long ties? I can't find any decent stockists online or in a bricks and mortar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement