Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High emissions

Options
  • 17-04-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭

Brought a 99 1.4 ford focus for the test today and it failed on the emmissions, high idle co was .55 and hc was 149. low idle had hc of 620 i think.

Any idea's of where to start or is it brown bread?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

id change the cat and throw in a bottle a diptene , worked a few times for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Probabaly a stupid question but for something like the cat would i better off buying a new one or would a scrapped one do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

getting rare enough now to find scrapped ones but go for it if u do , you'll know by looking at it when its out of the car if its pass-worthy or not , would think a new cat for a focus even if its 99 would be hefty enough new :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

guil wrote: »
    Brought a 99 1.4 ford focus for the test today and it failed on the emmissions, high idle co was .55 and hc was 149. low idle had hc of 620 i think.

Any idea's of where to start or is it brown bread?

They don't test HC at low idle only co, what was that? It will say N/A at the side for hc low idle.

I presume lambda was OK.

You only failed at .55 on high idle CO when it should be .30. Not far out.

Don't get a Cat unless you've done all/most of this.

Get diagnostic scan to check for busted fueling sensors.
    Change oil, oil filter and air filter, spark plugs and make sure the CCV isn't blocked and clean the throttle body. Add some injector cleaner to the tank and run it until the empty light comes on. Add dipetane and drive it to the test like you stole it. Make sure to add the diptane and injector cleaner in the right concentrations. I've gotten cars with far worse than .5 through using this method.

Oil and filter and plugs only went in 4 weeks ago. I do very little driving. Trip to work is about 17km each way and rarely drive anywhere at the weekend so I may go for a few spins.
    Co at low idle was .12.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah the ccv is full of gunk id say. Can It be cleaned or will I need to get new hoses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

guil wrote: »
    Oh yeah the ccv is full of gunk id say. Can It be cleaned or will I need to get new hoses?

not familiar with this engine so here's what google says :)

There's a new uprated PCV available for small money. Check the valve too.
    http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190218
    Check the valve isn't blocked too

It does sound as if your burning oil. Your hc are very high at low idle. A new cat may mask this and get you through the NCT but your better off trying to fix the oil burning/poor combustion problem first IMO.

Advertisement