Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why different signal readings on muxes from maghera?

Options
  • 17-04-2014 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭

I have a problem in that when recording the Voice glitching has been noticed by SWOB. I checked a few things and noticed I get different readings on the 2 muxes. CH48 is 78q and 100%signal, BER is constant at 30.4. CH55 on the other hand shows 62%q and 100%signal but BER fluctates from say 29.6 to 30.3. I use a loft aerial that was put in for TV3 so its a high gain with loads of elements.

My q is would I gain(sorry) a stronger signal with a different aerial ie a grid one and use a masthead amplifier. I would like to have over 80% Quality on both feeds.

I am in ennis/clarecastle.

I use a humax with an external hdd to record saorview. Cant remember exact model.

The readings are from an Icann receiver, figures are higher on the humax 71 AND 78 Q but no BER.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

swoofer wrote: »
    I have a problem in that when recording the Voice glitching has been noticed by SWOB. I checked a few things and noticed I get different readings on the 2 muxes. CH48 is 78q and 100%signal, BER is constant at 30.4. CH55 on the other hand shows 62%q and 100%signal but BER fluctates from say 29.6 to 30.3. I use a loft aerial that was put in for TV3 so its a high gain with loads of elements.

My q is would I gain(sorry) a stronger signal with a different aerial ie a grid one and use a masthead amplifier. I would like to have over 80% Quality on both feeds.

I use a humax with an external hdd to record saorview. Cant remember exact model.

The readings are from an Icann receiver, figures are higher on the humax 71 AND 78 Q but no BER.

I also receive these two muxes from Maghera with ch 55 slightly stronger. Maybe the high gain aerial you are using is causing overloading on ch 55, i.e. too much signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mounting a hi-gain aerial in the attic will be of little benefit as the roof slates/tiles attenuates the signal in any case, better to mount it outside. You could try out any distribution amplifier close to the aerial in the attic but you might just be amplifying a low quality signal.

The signal quality/strength readings can vary from receiver to receiver but they do give you a basic reading, only a proper professional meter will give an accurate reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I'm the same - Ch55 (on along cable run) is much weaker than Ch48. On a short cable run they are both the same. I can only assume that the cable is lossy for the Ch55 frequency compared to the lower Ch48 one. I aso use a loft aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭swoofer

thanks all at least its not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Who or what is SWOB?

• Advertisement

SWOB = SIGNAL WITH OSCILLATING BER

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

SWOB = SIGNAL WITH OSCILLATING BER
    :D - you should get that into the urban dictionary!

I was trying to match it up to SWMBO!

yeah your right but got my caps mixed up. I meant SWMBO but when I put SWOB I left it for effect.

happy easter,

Advertisement