Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New GAA TV rights package announced.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Have Premier in the UK got any rights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Heard on the news just now that the games will be on Sky Sports 3 so HD coverage will only be available to some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Don't agree with it, but it was only a matter of time I suppose.

Love TV3's response to losing all rights:
    "TV3 made a very commercial bid for the next three years but this appears to have been superseded by the GAA’s preference for a pay television strategy."

You were superseded by Sky offering more money. Simple.

Couldn't get in to TV3's coverage anyway, it lacked something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

More Music wrote: »

In some areas there was literally no coverage at all!

TV3 used to show the Connacht football final. If you didn't have Sky many people in Connacht couldn't watch it as there was no TV3 signal in many parts of Mayo etc in the pre-digital days. In Westport, only when the local BBC deflector started transmitting it, could it be viewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Just a Plinker

I'm disgusted with this news, Are the players who train and diet going to get something out of this, ( I BLOODY HOPE SO) I have worked with two County hurlers in the last 10 years and I have seen what they do and sacrifice for the sport at their own expense and time, The GAA should be ashamed , And I will not pay SKY to watch our national sports

Bloody Annoyed
    Davy

Hope I did not fall for an April fools one here lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

More Music wrote: »
    Don't agree with it, but it was only a matter of time I suppose.

Love TV3's response to losing all rights:
    "TV3 made a very commercial bid for the next three years but this appears to have been superseded by the GAA’s preference for a pay television strategy."

You were superseded by Sky offering more money. Simple.

What they really said was. Thanks for parking the 81million we owe indefinetly. Thanks also for allowing us for buy back our 60million corporate debt at a discount. In recognition of all this we decided not to bother with anything that involves Irish Culture whatsoever, bye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

So will it be shown in the UK or will it be blocked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Just a Plinker

Knowing SKY it will be blocked
    snaps wrote: »

snaps wrote: »

Sky will show their 14 games exclusively here and in the UK. They will also the semi finals and final live in the UK.

Who is showing the rest of the games in the UK? Premier Sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

FTA of 45 matches by Channel 7 in Australia is impressive however here at home Sky have the exclusive rights to 14 games and are co-broadcasting the semifinals and finals with RTÉ. 3 years time with a Review of Designated Sporting Events what's to stop Sky from having exclusive rights of the semifinals and finals.
    They've already gone to bed with the devil ......

• Advertisement

what's to stop Sky from having exclusive rights of the semifinals and finals.

The hurling and football finals are protected and that will never change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

:mad:I just had a horrible thought. with the 3 or so million that tv3 will now save they will have that to bid for irish rights to the champions league for BOTH tuesday and wednesday nights. every cloud has a silver lining.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Nothing will be blocked - Sky Sports has never blocked a programme in its 23 years on air, I'm not sure where this idea that it has done so ever has come from. (Both ESPN and BT Sport have blocked Europa League, however).

I am not sure where all the anger is coming from. To put this in context, this deal is for a mere 14 games exclusive to Sky - 8 of which will be in the parallel qualifiers series for teams knocked out of the main championship (the so called "back door"). There will only be six "straight route" games shown exclusively - 2 provincial games on Saturdays, 2 on Sundays, and 2 quarter finals. None of the provincial games will include any of the provincial finals, and most likely will feature Dublin as often as they can. The entire All-Ireland series in hurling and the remaining two All-Ireland semi finals and the final in football will all also remain free to air, and all on RTÉ.

Nor is it the first time the GAA have sold rights to a pay-TV broadcaster - Setanta have been showing games behind a paywall for years.

This deal is also giving the GAA exposure on a mainstream sports channel in the UK, the type of exposure it hasn't gotten since Channel 4 showed the finals back in the 1980s.

Just one further note that hasn't been mentioned, Premier Sports (Setanta by any other name) have confirmed that they have obtained the England, Scotland, and Wales rights to all games not being shown by Sky Sports.

There's a lot of people saying they apparently have the "right" to see these games free to air. They seem to have very short memories. Until just over twenty years ago just six GAA games, in total, were broadcast live on TV - the four All Ireland semi finals and the two finals. You had to wait for the Sunday Game for the others, and for much of the 1980s the Sunday Game was THE Sunday Game, and if you weren't picked for it there was no TV coverage, nothing whatsoever - you had to go to the game if you wanted to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

My view on post #11 may have been based on unfounded fear :o

Its good for me....I cannot recieve RTE/TV3 but can get Sky sports as its on the pan european beam. Ive relied on feeds for games. So even for the ex pats in southern Spain who have recently lost there RTE/BBC etc, it means they may be able to get their GAA fix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Press Release from the GAA from the OP sounded really confusing when I was reading it.

It says that ''Sky Sports has obtained exclusive Island of Ireland rights to 14 championship games".

But then it says it will be "showing 20 live games within Britain and Ireland". By my understanding only 6 games will be shown in the UK with the rest of them being geo-blocked and being shown on Sky within Ireland only. Is this theory correct or not?

From my point of view it doesn't sound like a good deal from the likes of Sky.

I do like the announcement of the FTA coverage of 45 games airing on Channel 7 in Australia as the AFL has been shown on TG4 for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭An Tarbh

The Press Release from the GAA from the OP sounded really confusing when I was reading it.

It says that ''Sky Sports has obtained exclusive Island of Ireland rights to 14 championship games".

But then it says it will be "showing 20 live games within Britain and Ireland". By my understanding only 6 games will be shown in the UK with the rest of them being geo-blocked and being shown on Sky within Ireland only. Is this theory correct or not?

No it's wrong. Sky have never geo blocked anything on their channels in this country, and aren't going to start now with the GAA. The 20 games that they have the rights to will be shown both in the UK and Ireland, with the semis and final on a non exclusive basis in Ireland. The other televised games will be shown on Premier Sports in the UK.

The Premier Sports games (which are essentially the RTE games except for the all Ireland semis and final) will be geo-blocked here, but the Sky games will not be.

You have to feel sorry for pubs that don't have pay TV because of the cost. I know of a few where I used to live was packed for matches and now they won't have access to 20 of them?
    Personally I think its the foot in the door for sky and it will end like cricket did in the uk, possibly go pay TV only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Dont forget about the Northern Ireland rights.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/gaelic-games/26840718
    BBC Northern Ireland has secured a new deal for live television and radio coverage of the GAA Championship over the next three years.
    While Croke Park's new arrangements will see Sky Sports showing live GAA games for the first time, BBC Northern Ireland will continue to broadcast a number of Ulster Championship matches.
    The BBC will broadcast Ulster matches also being shown live on RTE.
    The live BBC games will include the Ulster Football Final.
    A new deal to bring listeners live coverage of Gaelic Games on BBC Radio Ulster throughout the year has also been agreed.
    Shane Glynn, Editor of Sport at BBC Northern Ireland said he was "delighted" that the corporation had agreed a new deal with the GAA.
    "Broadcast rights are highly competitive and complex, particularly in television," said the BBC NI Editor of Sport.
    “Making our games more widely available to Irish people abroad was a critical factor in our approach”

GAA president Liam O'Neill
    "While we would have liked to be able to provide more live coverage for our audience, we are pleased to have been able to secure live television coverage, within the constraints of what was available to us, of games in the Ulster Championship on BBC NI over the next three years.
    "Our commitment to Gaelic Games on BBC Radio Ulster remains significant.
    "It will include programming across the year, including live coverage of the Ulster Club and Ulster Senior Football Championships, and games in the National League, qualifiers and All-Ireland Championship involving Ulster counties."
    The new deal comes into effect in May of this year with the start of the Ulster Championship.
    Under the new arrangements, Sky Sports will have exclusive island of Ireland rights to 14 championship games while along with RTE, they will also have live coverage of the All-Ireland Hurling and Football semi-finals and finals.
    RTE will have 31 live games which will include the All-Ireland senior finals and semi-finals in both codes.
    Sky's 14 exclusive matches will consist of eight Saturday evening All-Ireland qualifiers, two All-Ireland Football quarter-finals, plus four provincial championship games.
    These 20 live games will be available to its subscribers in Ireland and Britain.

• Advertisement

The fear of more games for Sky next time round could become a self-fulfilling prophecy judging by these comments from the GAA president, if they are reflective of the thinking of the upper echelons of the organisation.

http://m.rte.ie/sport/touch/gaa/2014/0402/606267-gaa-rte/

Certainly they appear to be very unhappy at the coverage RTE has given. Then again it would be in RTE's interest for the Government to a-list more GAA games as it would cause the value of the GAA's Irish rights to collapse If RTE knew it was a one-horse race for most packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Sorry I haven't read the thread but will these 14 matches that sky are getting still be available to stream from rte website in Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

good business for sky in getting gaa rights for ireland

reason is simple is to keep most sky sports subscribers during the summer months

southern england are covered by sky's cricket deal

northern england are covered by sky's rugby league deal

ireland are covered by sky's new gaa deal

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Sorry I haven't read the thread but will these 14 matches that sky are getting still be available to stream from rte website in Ireland

Not in Ireland, no. Sky Go for Sky Digital subscribers only. They'll be available to stream abroad from an RTÉ-backed but paid-for service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Sky have only taken a few games to test the water
    Once the viewing figures are in GAA will be dropped
    Just like CH 4 with the Aussie rules games

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭scruffy66

icdg wrote: »
    The fear of more games for Sky next time round could become a self-fulfilling prophecy judging by these comments from the GAA president, if they are reflective of the thinking of the upper echelons of the organisation.

http://m.rte.ie/sport/touch/gaa/2014/0402/606267-gaa-rte/

Certainly they appear to be very unhappy at the coverage RTE has given. Then again it would be in RTE's interest for the Government to a-list more GAA games as it would cause the value of the GAA's Irish rights to collapse If RTE knew it was a one-horse race for most packages.

What if next time around BT come in and offer 3 times what SKY are offering but want more games.

There should have been more discussion within the GAA about this as it will have wider ramifications down the line.

If the game becomes popular abroad then eventually that will be the end of it as an amateur sport. Im for players been paid in some way but if this is the way its going to go , then years down the line it could be the end of the county system with players been bought to play for other counties.
    Never say Never, it could happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

hju6 wrote: »
    Sky have only taken a few games to test the water
    Once the viewing figures are in GAA will be dropped
    Just like CH 4 with the Aussie rules games

That seriously misunderstands Sky's strategy which is a little more than just about viewing figures, which is what Channel 4 would have to consider more.

Sky are in the business of taking varied sports in order to increase - and retain - subscribers. They might not get 100s of thousands of extra subscribers by taking GAA but as part of the overall package it will help to keep people on board (especially during football's closed season which is when, I believe, the GAA matches take place? )

In addition, any increase, or retention, in commercial subs in Ireland thanks to them acquiring GAA rights will also play a huge part in any decision.

With Sky it's about the overall package.

With Channel 4 it's about the individual programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

He must have taken a lot to swallow his pride and go into RTE to complain about the coverage of GAA.

No mention of RTE getting the licence fee.
    No mention of RTE being under the cosh from the Minister about RTE jr being forced to remain of RTE 2.
    No mention of RTE being forced to run RTE NN but not being allowed to advertise.
    No mention of RTE plus/3 not being allowed by the Minister and being forced to run RTE 1+1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Oliver Callan did a take on Sky's coverage of a GAA match it was hillarious, they couldn't pronounce any of the irish names properly. Check it out on rte player, Callans Kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Elmo wrote: »

But rich David Mc Redmond complaining when TV3 is primarily a rebroadcast of ITV.

IMHO RTE are fearful of the coverage Sky are going to provide and the probability that Sky will pay players and managers for interviews. TV3 coverage was never going tochallenge RTE.

Infoanon wrote: »
    But rich David Mc Redmond complaining when TV3 is primarily a rebroadcast of ITV.

IMHO RTE are fearful of the coverage Sky are going to provide and the probability that Sky will pay players and managers for interviews. TV3 coverage was never going tochallenge RTE.

I think everyone is expecting too much from Sky. Remember Sky News Ireland?

Elmo wrote: »
    I think everyone is expecting too much from Sky. Remember Sky News Ireland?

Agreed. This is only filler for the summer months.

I would have thought if they were serious they would have gone for all of the uk rights.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I would have thought if they were serious they would have gone for all of the uk rights.

Oh! no! no no no no, I think you'll like to call them British "them across the water" rights when it comes to the GAA.

That would involve geo blocking which SKY don't do.

• Advertisement

Sky can easily work around that. They already have separate versions for advertising.

Sky can easily work around that. They already have separate versions for advertising.

They can but don't - they always buy Irish/UK combined rights.

I.

It's about keeping subscriptions during the summer when Sky Sports schedule is quite light and consists mainly of golf, cricket, and rugby league the latter two of which have very little interest here (though cricket is picking up). GAA gives Irish fans a reason to keep their subscriptions active. It's something BT will also have to look as right now they have very little other than baseball and motorcycle racing both of which are niches at best.

It's about keeping subscriptions during the summer when Sky Sports schedule is quite light and consists mainly of golf, cricket, and rugby league the latter two of which have very little interest here (though cricket is picking up). GAA gives Irish fans a reason to keep their subscriptions active. It's something BT will also have to look as right now they have very little other than baseball and motorcycle racing both of which are niches at best.

If cricket want to gain a foot hold they really need to see some coverage on an FTA broadcaster in Ireland, it doesn't suit them to be on a Pay TV broadcaster in Ireland and then just getting on to the sports news.

They want to retain subs. It's unlikely that Sky will get the Irish rights to sports they have lost to BT. Unless they plan separate Sky Sport Ireland channel, or opt outs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

its all part of sky's competition with bt sport in the uk

RTEtv will have most of the decent live GAA games

the big question is why does RTEtv not buy any of the GAA national league and club games

the sky games will be available to watch online from many legal and other sources!

• Advertisement

ftakeith wrote: »
    the big question is why does RTEtv not buy any of the GAA national league and club games

They are not interested/they don't want to be seen to compete against another PSB (TG4)

Why didn't TV3 look for those games?

ftakeith wrote: »

Big question? You're the first person I have seen ask it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭An Tarbh

does it really though, the amount of interest in the qualifiers suggests likewise. The qualifiers are the games that Sky will need to entice subscribers to maintain or sign up for a subscription. Lets be honest they're not going to do that. The crowds and ratings for qualifiers would back that up as well. The only prime games they have are the 2 quarter finals which taking place in August isn't going to get any more subscribers since the premier league is back at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭turbocab

Infoanon wrote: »

RTE deserve it ,they have already got into bed with sky on the astra satellite ,scan the astra 28.2 e satellite and when the rte channels come up you get srambled signal,What a joke when you are paying them a licence fee,You have to pay sky to descramble the rte channels

turbocab wrote: »
    RTE deserve it ,they have already got into bed with sky on the astra satellite ,scan the astra 28.2 e satellite and when the rte channels come up you get srambled signal,What a joke when you are paying them a licence fee,You have to pay sky to descramble the rte channels

Rights to TV programmes and Sports prevent RTÉ from going on Satellite it would be far to expensive. They do have Saorsat.

Also freely available terrestrially. You might have a point if the Sky platform was the only way to receive RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭turbocab

Also freely available terrestrially. You might have a point if the Sky platform was the only way to receive RTÉ.

My point is if you pay a licence to them you should be able to receive them on All platforms that they broadcast on including astra 28.2 e.And there are some areas of the country where terrestriall reception is not available,ie parts of Wicklow around aughavannagh etc

My point is if you pay a licence to them you should be able to receive them on All platforms that they broadcast on including astra 28.2 e.And there are some areas of the country where terrestrial reception is not available,ie parts of Wicklow around aughavannagh etc

And it is available on SaorSat, though as point out how many actually have that.

RTÉ could block international/sports content on Satellite. Sky and Premier Sports have the rights to GAA in Britain.

Could they go Free-to-view?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

RTE cannot go FTA on 28.2 because the overspill covers the whole of the UK and some patrs of Europe and they do not have, and could not afford to have, rights for most of their programmes to broadcast there. As far as is known, Sky pay for all charges relating to the 28.2 broadcasts.

The Saorsat broadcasts cover Ireland and virtually none of Great Brittain. It does cover NI but RTE usually have rights there.

The TV licence is for owning/operating a TV. The money raised does (in the most part) does go to RTE and is for public service broadcasting. The fact that you may not like, or do not watch, RTE has nothing to do with it. RTE has no obligation to broadcast FTA other than on Saorview. Saorsat is on option they have chosen and it is funded by RTE themselves for their own commercial reasons.

My point is if you pay a licence to them you should be able to receive them on All platforms that they broadcast on including astra 28.2 e.And there are some areas of the country where terrestriall reception is not available,ie parts of Wicklow around aughavannagh etc

And you are willing to pay the massive increase in the licence that would be required for FTA broadcasting via 28.2 degrees east? I will guess no. Even to go FTV costs a lot of money so that's not a viable alternative either.

With UPC I don't get RTÉ for free so why would Sky be any different?

Also as pointed out Saorsat exists if you have problems with terrestrial reception.

• Advertisement
Advertisement