Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Woodsman

• 26-02-2005 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

Saw this last night and would highly recommend it. I thought it dealt with the subject in a sensitive way and it was very interesting to see the other side of things.

Kevin Bacon was amazing. Definitely a highly underrated actor.

Anyone else seen it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Saw this last night and would highly recommend it. I thought it dealt with the subject in a sensitive way and it was very interesting to see the other side of things.

Kevin Bacon was amazing. Definitely a highly underrated actor.

Anyone else seen it?

Nope :) What's it about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

AlienGav wrote:
    Nope :) What's it about?

he's a convicted child molester trying to integrate himself back into society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

he's a convicted child molester trying to integrate himself back into society.

Ah jaysus :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

AlienGav wrote:
    Ah jaysus :(

That made me laugh i can't really say why :S

I saw it and enjoyed it,bacon was excellent poor guy will never get an oscar EVER

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just back from it - good movie and a great performance. In a non-political world, Bacon would have gotten an Oscar nod. Difficult to watch at times - nothing is shown but it's what's said... Have a look but don't expect a fun movie but instead a powerful one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

saw it a while back, though it was very good, its not perfect or anything but very interesting, well worth a look.
    I though bacon was excellent, his performance alone is worth the price imho,
    i though he really humanised what most people see as pure evil, but at the same time you never really feel sorry for him.
    good show, go see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Excellent movie, finally got around to watching it last night. Great stuff. Kevin Bacon doesn't get the credit he deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, saw it a month or two back.

Brillant, brillant film with excellent performances from both Kevin Bacon and Mos Def.

A very bravely made film!
    the scene where he asked the little girl to sit on his lap one was, in my opinion, one of the most uncomfortable scenes in recent cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

outstanding film, i thought. i like how it doesnt spoonfeed the audience the details on walter's past life, the imagery of the
    red ball, and what it signified was fantastic
    , also thought the
    first sex scene was very cleverly done, the way it was edited

i was somewhat dissapointed by eve and mos def in this, they seemed too 2 dimensional, benjamin bratt was fantastic though.
    the only other major problem i had with the film was
    the character of candy, i thought the whole good paedophile vs. bad paedophile storyline was terrible, i kinda wanted candy to be a figment of walter's imagination, representing what he could become if he caved in to his past self. the character was an interesting idea, it just didnt really work imo

overall though, it was a very impressive film, and the scene that basquille describes above is the woodsman at its best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

herobear wrote:
    outstanding film, i thought. i like how it doesnt spoonfeed the audience the details on walter's past life, the imagery of the
    red ball, and what it signified was fantastic
    , also thought the
    first sex scene was very cleverly done, the way it was edited

the way that was edited, was an homáge to the same type of scene in dont look now.. in which it was done much better imho..
    herobear wrote:
    i was somewhat dissapointed by eve and mos def in this, they seemed too 2 dimensional, benjamin bratt was fantastic though.
    the only other major problem i had with the film was
    the character of candy, i thought the whole good paedophile vs. bad paedophile storyline was terrible, i kinda wanted candy to be a figment of walter's imagination, representing what he could become if he caved in to his past self. the character was an interesting idea, it just didnt really work imo

overall though, it was a very impressive film, and the scene that basquille describes above is the woodsman at its best

i kind of agree with you on the eve part, but im not sure i would say the same thing if someone else had been playing the part..i think it the role would have played much better with an unknown..
    im not sure i agree with you on the second point, i mean it was a really big part of the story, and i didnt see it as good vs. bad,
    it was just one of the many ways in which the character had to analyse himself. and then the end makes much more sense and is more believable.. (to me anyway)

i was richard and judy the other day [:o] and they were giving out how the film manipulated the veiwer into feeling sympathy for the character..
    and how terrible that is...they acted almost as if it were dangerous...

i was just wondering what people thought of how the film potrayed a paedophile? did you think it was manipulative or did you just think it was humanising a frequently hyped up problem (as i did)??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

i was just wondering what people thought of how the film potrayed a paedophile? did you think it was manipulative or did you just think it was humanising a frequently hyped up problem (as i did)??

i would agree with the latter. at no point in the film did i think "ah look at poor walter" but at the same time i also didnt think "this guy is evil incarnate"

i thought the whole subject was handled very well. i especially liked how
    at the start when walter is talking with his therapist, he says that he never hurt any of the girls. then when he's in the woods with Robin he has a moment of realisation, and he finally understands that he does hurt them.

i dont think the film in any way manipulates the audience into feeling sympathy for the character, but it does show the subject from the other side. TV programmes like 'Richard & Judy' are so afraid of anything that could in anyway be classed as "controversial". :rolleyes:

Advertisement