Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for going home to Ireland from Australia

Options
  • 12-08-2014 5:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi there everyone, looking for some advice. I'm heading home after 3.5 years in Oz. Want a bit of advice on a few things. Hear bits an pieces about home but I'm looking for as rounded a view as possible.

Travel/shipping

What's the story with making use of space on someone else's container or indeed sharing a container? I have heard about this previously but find it hard to find a company or a way of doing it.

What are the construction employment opportunities like in Ireland. What we hear here is Dublin improving, rest of Ireland not. I'm from a general building background with chippy skills. Certified in the US, not Ireland. Very adjustable though.

My partner is Australian, she should have no problem getting work herself, but I'm wondering has any experience in anyone similar fitting in/acclimatizing to Ireland? Good chance if we decide to live in Dublin (from Cork) we won't be too surrounded by many friends.

Any other general advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

This might work better in a different forum. Most of the people on this one is either moving to Australia and already has.

Not sure which would be the best place to get a good response!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Opinionated Rebel

irishmover wrote: »
    This might work better in a different forum. Most of the people on this one is either moving to Australia and already has.

Not sure which would be the best place to get a good response!

Can I move it to somewhere? New to the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

My partner is Australian, she should have no problem getting work herself

She'll need a visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mizzen

Also new to forum. In same boat: planning return to Dublin after 4 years Sydney.

Shipping in shared container is called groupage and most relocation companies offer it. Grace, OSS, seven seas are some you could try, or Crown.....

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The visa for your partner might be tricky. I have been through the wringer on the De Facto visa, as have many acquaintances. We're married now and it would have been a lot easier if we had done that 3 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Group age is fine in terms of bringing the cost down. But it can be very slow. We did group age on the way over and it was over 4 months from collection to delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 unblinkered optimist

There might be some construction work going for chippys, the economy is still pretty unsteady but there are visible improvements right now. My wife and I came back over a year ago from Australia after half a decade out there, and to be honest I occasionally do miss the place, however I don't regret returning at all.
    If your hearts set on returning then its best to get it out of your system and see how it goes. Lifes too short not to give things a go. We found it to be more expensive shipping things back to Ireland than shipping them out.
    If you have any specific questions about my experience coming home, then feel free to ask.
    Best of luck mate in your move, let us all know how it goes!

What's the story with her right to work?
    I was under the impression it had all got a lot easier. I know of a couple who had a lot if hassle like mentioned above, but that this had changed.

The irish gov website is quite inconclusive and hard to get a final answer from, but my understanding is she comes into Ireland as a non-eu visitor. Then she goes to emigration and tries to obtain a work "stamp". She may get 3-6 months and may then need to go back.

Is my understanding of it correct?

Thanks for the help and comments, most welcome.

I got / quotes for shipping, about 3 cubic meters is 1200 or 1700, both without insurance. Seems okish. Does it seem about right?

There might be some construction work going for chippys, the economy is still pretty unsteady but there are visible improvements right now. My wife and I came back over a year ago from Australia after half a decade out there, and to be honest I occasionally do miss the place, however I don't regret returning at all.
    If your hearts set on returning then its best to get it out of your system and see how it goes. Lifes too short not to give things a go. We found it to be more expensive shipping things back to Ireland than shipping them out.
    If you have any specific questions about my experience coming home, then feel free to ask.
    Best of luck mate in your move, let us all know how it goes!

Ya I'm similar. I just want to go home, end of. I was oldish for an irish person to go to Oz and never settled completely. I think that's somewhat harder for the slightly older vintage (stick in our ways and that). However there are parts of Oz I loved and would consider going back , just not Perth. I'm probably here because if her 2 years longer than I would have managed on my own.

There is an absolute massive difference in culture between Ireland and WA. However my partner is as excited as me to be moving and sees it as a great chance to meet my f&f and see Europe. Plan is 2 years and reassess then.

I have no great fears for myself, fall back into sporting and friends lives fairly easily. It's obviously harder for my partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Isn't the WHV a reciprocal thing?

Meaning she could apply for that if she is under the age bracket, totally open to correction on this, would give you a year to sort things out...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

One thing is for certain moving from Australia to Ireland, the grass is greener....literally!

The Aussie wrote: »
    Isn't the WHV a reciprocal thing?

Meaning she could apply for that if she is under the age bracket, totally open to correction on this, would give you a year to sort things out...

Ya she is 25, so yes I think that is an option.

Also any ideas/companies for bring back a dog. We hve got numerous quotes with ridiculous differences in cost and responsibility. The agencies seem to have total control and you are not allowed, so they say, arrange the pet itinerary ourselves.
    Basically they look for an average of 4k for picking up your dog, the cargo cost and nothing else. It's a shocking system and I haven't got to the bottom of it yet is there ways around it. But I'm running out if time.

We used a company called Petainers, picked up the Dogs from our house in Brisbane, we had to collect from Dublin Airport though, fairly hassle free to be fair...

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

Also any ideas/companies for bring back a dog. We hve got numerous quotes with ridiculous differences in cost and responsibility. The agencies seem to have total control and you are not allowed, so they say, arrange the pet itinerary ourselves.
    Basically they look for an average of 4k for picking up your dog, the cargo cost and nothing else. It's a shocking system and I haven't got to the bottom of it yet is there ways around it. But I'm running out if time.

Know anyone rich people with private jets? Throw the dog on board lol.

What agencies are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What's the story with her right to work?
    I was under the impression it had all got a lot easier. I know of a couple who had a lot if hassle like mentioned above, but that this had changed.

The irish gov website is quite inconclusive and hard to get a final answer from, but my understanding is she comes into Ireland as a non-eu visitor. Then she goes to emigration and tries to obtain a work "stamp". She may get 3-6 months and may then need to go back.

Can she do a job, paying more than 30k, that no no EU citizen is available to do?

If not, then her only hope is either a WHV, or you get married.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Getting a visa to work in Ireland is difficult. If you think Aussie companies are hard to squeeze sponsorship out of, wait till you deal with HR in Irish companies.

Marry the girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

This would be a great thread to keep going, I too am considering a move back to Ireland next year and wouldn't know where to start when it comes to packing up my life here after 5 years and moving back. I arrived with one suitcase in June 2009 and can't imagine leaving with anything less than a shipping container even after selling most of my furniture, car etc.

It would be great if anyone who has done it could post any advice or information that those of us in the same boat would find helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭protelos

On the job from for your other half, you could contact the Oz equivalent of Enterprise Ireland who may know of Oz companies that have presences in Europe that will need/like Oz workers. You could also contact the IDA get an idea of how many companies are in Ireland that are from Oz and similarly might like/need/want an indigenous person to assist them in Europe. Ring the Aus embassy in Ireland get a feel for what is around.

This process might mean that a visa will be taken care of by the Aus Company; just an alternative avenue that I am using in the US now so might be worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thedarksh1te

I worked in the shipping industry at home and now in Sydney. While I can't really advise on the costs you've been quoted I can answer any other groupage related questions you guys have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

Just to keep this thread going.

Opinionated, have you looked into it anymore about your girlfriend getting a Visa at home?

Seems to be something a few of us are interested in knowing about, so would be great if you could keep up updated on your progress

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dats_rite

Im not sure if it is just me but I have noticed a lot of friends and work colleagues heading back this year or next. Is everyone else the same or is it just the length of time of 4-5 years here a make or break time limit for people to decide wether to stay and set down roots or head home again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

4-5 years has been fairly typical for most of my circle over here.

Some of them want to try and make a go of it while its starting to pick up over there economically, some just know they would regret not going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I know a good few who are only hanging in for their ozzie citizenship, after that it's sayonara.

Pretty much what i'm thinking of doing TBH. Citizenship test booked for next month and then ceremony probably Australia day and then back in Ireland around May time........

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Dats_rite wrote: »
    Pretty much what i'm thinking of doing TBH. Citizenship test booked for next month and then ceremony probably Australia day and then back in Ireland around May time........

My brother done that last year. He went home in November after getting his Australian passport vowing never to return to Australia. He got work at home but was making just enough to survive and pay his mortgage. He's back in Australia now though. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Be wary if you have been away for more than a couple of years then you will not be entitled to the dole straight away.

aido79 wrote: »
    My brother done that last year. He went home in November after getting his Australian passport vowing never to return to Australia. He got work at home but was making just enough to survive and pay his mortgage. He's back in Australia now though. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Be wary if you have been away for more than a couple of years then you will not be entitled to the dole straight away.

Yeah that is the big question at the minute, what If we go back and cant settle. I certainly wont be burning any bridges with work before I leave. Been thinking of asking them for a sabbatical for a year also as a bit of a safety net in case things don't work out at home.

Ive been reading these articles on the Irish Echo:

(Edit: I cant post web links as a new user. - Its articles by Isabel under the opinion section of the echos website)

I don't like the way the author is constantly complaining about Ireland and comparing life in Australia to life in Ireland but it does give a bit of an insight into some of the difficulties in moving back home and the kind of things I didn't think I would need to organise etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Yeah that is the big question at the minute, what If we go back and cant settle. I certainly wont be burning any bridges with work before I leave. Been thinking of asking them for a sabbatical for a year also as a bit of a safety net in case things don't work out at home.

Ive been reading these articles on the Irish Echo:

(Edit: I cant post web links as a new user. - Its articles by Isabel under the opinion section of the echos website)

I don't like the way the author is constantly complaining about Ireland and comparing life in Australia to life in Ireland but it does give a bit of an insight into some of the difficulties in moving back home and the kind of things I didn't think I would need to organise etc.

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2014/09/17/habitually-resident-its-no-habit-im-irish/32779

Linked for you there. Isabel does make some good points regarding the madness of the bureaucracy in Ireland. How it is all paper-based and why she would have to go through the non-citizen process is probably down to a combination of computer says no, and historical abuse of the SW system in Ireland. It's ridiculous, but to be fair, the bureaucracy in Australia is just as hefty (Try an 820 visa application for fun) it's just a bit more accessible, and can substantially be completed electronically (speeding the process up exponentially, no paperwork gets lost or misplaced, the only hold up will be the waiting list.)
    I've discussed going back there for a few years with my OH (Aussie), but to be honest, that is exactly the sort of treatment that boiled my pi$$ enough to make me leave 6 years ago, Its not going to be easy.....and its definitely not going to be permanent.:rolleyes:

Yeah I do agree with some of her comments and stuff. But some things she is complaining about is how when she rings a bank in Ireland and it takes a while for her to get what she wants. She then compares it to getting some info from a bank in Australia. TO be fair you cant compare these as the banks in Ireland are huge loss making companies so wont have the same amount of staff as the huge profit making beasts in Australia at the moment who will have a hell of a lot more customer service staff and admin staff to get these requests. At times I don't think she realises things like this, I know its frustrating etc but I find it hard to read about all the negativity in her opinion pieces....I'm yet to hear anything good about her move back.

• Advertisement

I know its frustrating etc but I find it hard to read about all the negativity in her opinion pieces....I'm yet to hear anything good about her move back.

Well it is The Irish Echo...

Sort of like buying The Sun and getting what you pay for.
    If everybody treats it like a Fly, ignore it and it will go away.

Advertisement