Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish couple moving to sydney in jan 2015

Options
  • 15-06-2014 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there, myself and my boyfriend are heading to sydney next jan both 23, we are looking for another irish couple to house share with, we were looking at somewhere near randwick or coogee, I'm a nurse and the other half is a fitness instructor..would be great to hear from anyone who is in a similar position. Any advise or tips would also be great
    Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Both those areas would be desirable and the rental prices would reflect that. Renting in Sydney is really competitive too.

The only way you would get a place you like is to take out a lease on somewhere you liked and then advertise for potential housemates and pick people you want to live with, as opposed to going into a share house thats already up and running. Bond/deposit is usually 4 weeks plus 2 weeks rent in advance so can be a costly outlay to get your own place.

If you are looking for Irish people around the same age then its more than likely they will be on a WHV. With that comes the 6 month working limit, possibility of inconsistent work. You could be left having to pick up someones rent who's living in your house and has no commitments bar their bond/deposit.

I took on my own lease a few months ago and didn't want any WHV or student housemates for that reason. I wanted people with secure work, preferably permanent residents that are capable of paying rent on time. In saying that I did end up with one 22 year old girl who is a student and straight from the 1st week she's been inconstant with what day she pays rent. It's due on a Friday and I usually get it the following Wednesday, sometimes the day its due, sometimes the Monday after its due…I just don't know. Thats the reason I didn't want WHV or students.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kerrie11

Thankyou,
    We are going over on a WHV so we would be looking for people in the same boat..

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

The fact that you are a couple will definitely help in terms of affording rent and maybe even securing a place. Randwick/Coogee is a lovely area close to the beach and also not too far from the city.

If you're sharing I'd expect to pay about $200-250 a week there depending on the place and how many people you're sharing with. (Maybe less)

Are you staying in a hostel when you first arrive? That might be a good way to meet people to share with. Otherwise websites like domain and gumtree will have share rooms advertised if you don't want to sign up to a lease yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rois_k

Hi there...my name is Roisin. Im also a nurse, irish & 25 and my bfs an engineer 28, also irish. Wer both in Oz on whv currently in kalgoorlie, WA doing regional work, nly here couple months! Plannin on headin to sydney in jan as we were in perth when we first came here nd found it way too quiet!! We were also lookin for other ppl on same journey as ourselves, havnt been to syd yet bt heard its pretty gud!

Hi roisin, great to hear from you! Hope your enjoying your regional work!:) great to get it sorted and done with! Do you guys have any ideas were abouts you wanna live in syd? Are you planning on nursing? Yea I hear it's ment to be brilliant.. Canot wait!!

• Advertisement

Well I ws lukin up places round bondi nd coogee dats hw I cme across dis!! Wer easy enough really, in round those areas are gud locations! ☺ ya deffos plan on nursin bt still waitin on my reg........ its takin forever!! Hw bout u? Have u got urs sorted yet?

I worked as a carer in perth it ws grnd out! Still tryin t find wrk here nly here a week bt my bf is wrkin ... jst wanna get regional dne nw!! ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Rois_k wrote: »
    Well I ws lukin up places round bondi nd coogee dats hw I cme across dis!! Wer easy enough really, in round those areas are gud locations! ☺ ya deffos plan on nursin bt still waitin on my reg........ its takin forever!! Hw bout u? Have u got urs sorted yet?

I worked as a carer in perth it ws grnd out! Still tryin t find wrk here nly here a week bt my bf is wrkin ... jst wanna get regional dne nw!! ☺

welcome to boards , I imagine your on a Mobile but please try and avoid text speak. Your posts are a little hard to read.

Yea coogee looks lovely! I'm qualifying next month so in gunna send off all the stuff for the reg ASAP I know it seems to take ages, I'm going to be working with alliance the agency so hopefully work as a carer while waiting in reg! Just thinking it wud prob be easier if ya wanna add me on facebook.. If you just search Kerrie Tyner you shud find me 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

would $250/week for a couple sharing a furnished apartment in coogee/randwick area not be on the ambitious side? i think you'd have to be sharing with quite a few for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

lg123 wrote: »
    would $250/week for a couple sharing a furnished apartment in coogee/randwick area not be on the ambitious side? i think you'd have to be sharing with quite a few for that price.

Thought so too, that'd be per head in my experience.. and possibly more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

$250/head is still pretty keen i think.

Yeah no bother! Sorry I only saw this message now!! I will add you on fb, i just got my nursing reg few days ago thank god! You will be grand out working as a carer tho it got me through easily! Iv been looking up places and that seems to be the prices generally its not too bad.

Are you studying at Trinity just so I know iv got the right person on fb?☺

• Registered Users Posts: 15 emma1919

Hey, I'm moving to Sydney from Dublin on the 29th December. I realise you guys are looking for another couple to house share with, but it would be nice to have a contact or two before I head over on my own! I'm also looking at Coogee or Randwick! I'm 24, currently working in Share plans, i will be on a WHV but have plenty of savings and plan on getting a permanent position with a steady income, so rent won't be a challenge. Have you guys got your visa, etc all organised?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

lg123 wrote: »

Depending on the time of year I'd imagine a couple would pay around $375 per week for a room in a bog standard apartment in Coogee.
    Summer is approaching & competition between backpackers looking for places by the beach will be fierce!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

My brother lives in Coogee and pays $550 a week for a 2 bed, him and the GF and another couple, that's for an unfurnished apartment aswell! So they spent a good few quid in IKEA furnishing it,it's pricey around there it seems but near the beach,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Rule of thumb is the closer you are to the beach the more it hits you in the wallet.

So be sure to get the Value out of the beach in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jasoncorri

Kerrie11 wrote: »
    Yea coogee looks lovely! I'm qualifying next month so in gunna send off all the stuff for the reg ASAP I know it seems to take ages, I'm going to be working with alliance the agency so hopefully work as a carer while waiting in reg! Just thinking it wud prob be easier if ya wanna add me on facebook.. If you just search Kerrie Tyner you shud find me 😊

Hi Kerrie.

I seen your post that your going to be working with Alliance. I also got a job with them in Sydney :-) Myself and my girlfriend both 22 are moving to Sydney in January and are looking to share a house. Have you got anyone to share with? I just qualified as a social care worker and my girlfriend just qualified in early childhood education. Have you looked into cost of renting? Im only starting to look into areas now so if you have any info it would be great :-)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kane24

Hi Guys,

Im also planning on moving over to Sydney in January on my own. Im a 24 year old female and would love to get to know a few people. Emma I see you are also planning on heading over on your own in December. Have you made any plans for when you arrive?

Kane24 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Im also planning on moving over to Sydney in January on my own. Im a 24 year old female and would love to get to know a few people. Emma I see you are also planning on heading over on your own in December. Have you made any plans for when you arrive?

Hey, yeah I land on the 29th! When are you planning on heading over? I've booked accommodation for a week just because it's proving a bit difficult to get anywhere for the week of new years! But other than that I'm going to wing it! I'm planning on picking up a second job in a bar on the weekends to get to know people, you need a responsible alcohol service certificate to work in pubs but you can get it online. Where in Sydney are you looking to stay? Would be ideal to keep in touch because we're both on our own!

• Advertisement

emma1919 wrote: »
    Hey, yeah I land on the 29th! When are you planning on heading over? I've booked accommodation for a week just because it's proving a bit difficult to get anywhere for the week of new years! But other than that I'm going to wing it! I'm planning on picking up a second job in a bar on the weekends to get to know people, you need a responsible alcohol service certificate to work in pubs but you can get it online. Where in Sydney are you looking to stay? Would be ideal to keep in touch because we're both on our own!

To be honest I have no real plans made yet. I have wanted to go over for ages but was putting it off hoping some of my friends might come but they have no interest. Its only now im getting the balls to do it and just hoping for the best. Im guessing il be over mid january all going well. Im only starting to look into areas to live now so im pretty easy going in dat sense. I work in homeless services here so i would love to get a job in dat area over there but again i will take it as it comes :) We should defo stay in touch it would be great to know someone in the same situation.

To be honest I have no real plans made yet. I have wanted to go over for ages but was putting it off hoping some of my friends might come but they have no interest. Its only now im getting the balls to do it and just hoping for the best. Im guessing il be over mid january all going well. Im only starting to look into areas to live now so im pretty easy going in dat sense. I work in homeless services here so i would love to get a job in dat area over there but again i will take it as it comes :) We should defo stay in touch it would be great to know someone in the same situation.

I'm the exact same, I was hoping friends would come with me but they are all happy out at home. So I just had to get on with it, otherwise I'd regret it! And is your friend and her boyfriend in Sydney? You should just bite the bullet and book your flights! Least you will have a date then!

I'm the exact same, I was hoping friends would come with me but they are all happy out at home. So I just had to get on with it, otherwise I'd regret it! And is your friend and her boyfriend in Sydney? You should just bite the bullet and book your flights! Least you will have a date then!

Ye exactly you defo would and if you dont like it you can just head home, you have nothing to loose thats how im looking at it. No they have been living in Perth for over a year but they plan on moving to Sydney in the new year. I have decided not to live with them though as I want to meet as many new people as possible and that way we can get to know more people living seperatly. Ye i think thats what i need to do just go and book them because the longer i wait the more confused i get. Im sure it will all fall into place over there. Im thinking of going backpacking in Asia for mabe 3 or 4 weeks before going to Oz as thats something i have always wanted to do aswel, once I decide if im going to do that then I can sort the flights out. Have u been doing many searches on where to live or just going to see when you get there?

Ye exactly you defo would and if you dont like it you can just head home, you have nothing to loose thats how im looking at it. No they have been living in Perth for over a year but they plan on moving to Sydney in the new year. I have decided not to live with them though as I want to meet as many new people as possible and that way we can get to know more people living seperatly. Ye i think thats what i need to do just go and book them because the longer i wait the more confused i get. Im sure it will all fall into place over there. Im thinking of going backpacking in Asia for mabe 3 or 4 weeks before going to Oz as thats something i have always wanted to do aswel, once I decide if im going to do that then I can sort the flights out. Have u been doing many searches on where to live or just going to see when you get there?

I just got my visa approved so im all sorted now! Just need to keep the head down with saving! Yea, you're probably right to try live separate from your friends, meet more people that way! Are you going to Asia alone? Very brave! I've been keeping an eye online to get an idea of prices and stuff but it's so hard when you're not physically there! Any more progress with you?

I just got my visa approved so im all sorted now! Just need to keep the head down with saving! Yea, you're probably right to try live separate from your friends, meet more people that way! Are you going to Asia alone? Very brave! I've been keeping an eye online to get an idea of prices and stuff but it's so hard when you're not physically there! Any more progress with you?

Hi,
    Sorry for the late reply. Ah thats great to have it sorted :) My plans have changed again im now going staight to Sydney and i am going to do Asia at a later date. You dont have long left to go now are you getting excited? Ye im the same looking online at prices and areas but its hard to guess where you want to stay when you have never been there. Im booking my flight today so should arrive in sydney on the 19th of Jan was hoping to be there before then but flights are getting expensive for earlie dates. I really should have booked it by now i was just too relaxed for my own good.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

Why is everyone going to Sydney :O

Melbourne is where it's at guys ! Loads of construction work for lads who want to.make money!! No experience needed !

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

dont forget the gambling certificate too.99% of pubs have pokies so u need that too.drop a Pm when ya get over if you still want bar work. might be able to sort ya out in the place i work

• Advertisement
Advertisement