Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi Auo shotguns pros and cons

Options
  • 31-12-2013 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

Am thinking of getting a semi auto shotgun for mostly rough game shooting and a little little trap shooting.

I only have experience firing s/s u/o type shotguns.

Would somebody be able to advise on the pros and cons relating to a semi auto ?

Cheers,
    Sam.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Welcome Sam,

Some people regard S/A's as a nuisance on a trap range as most eject their cartridges to the side, also it is more difficult to see if they are safe as the majority of them cannot be broken. Also, seeing as it is a single barrel, you can only have 1 choke in at a time, so it can be more difficult to hit close and far away clays.

I think you are limited to 2 cartridges in a semi auto at clays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

3rd shot which can be handy game shooting and decoying pigeons as for the single choke that can be an issue when clay shooting and could be of disadvantage alright ,i had both o/u and repeater and when i backed off the clay shooting i sold my beretta o/u , and now if i go to a flapper or charity shoot the repeater does the job as i wouldnt be shooting competitively . in an nut shell i would never be with out a semi auto but saying that i have the urge to buy a nice light o/u game gun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

you cant beat a semi for pigeon/duck shooting from a hide or fox drives when you are stationary ,the problems start when rough shooting and you have to cross obstacles etc unloading loading again thats where the break barrel comes in handy ..they are great fun do :D:D

ian...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Once you understand how a semi operates ,they are as safe and easy to use as an O/U.I always find that you can tell the lads who dont know how their semis work,by those who totally unload the guns at every obstacle.
    Where you really only need to lock back the bolt and remove the shell that is on the lifter or was in battery ,and engage the mag feed cutoff,if you have one. OBVIOUSLY you will have had the saftey on in the first place...right??

There is now at least four manouvers you have to perform before the gun can be fired again.
    They can be abit weighty to tote about all day if you have one of the waterfowl 3inch plus magnum models,so a sling is a good investment.Barrel changing is a snap on most and you can get various different purpose barrels for what ever you are hunting.
    All in all a versatile and modern gun that has got over most of the hangups of the last centuries problems of swollen paper cartridge stoppages or dirt in the mechanism problems. Keep them reasonably clean and oiled and they work fine.
    Only drawback it has is it suffers from discrimination by the biased tweed and knicker bocker traditionalists amongst us.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

ianoo wrote: »
    you cant beat a semi for pigeon/duck shooting from a hide or fox drives when you are stationary ,the problems start when rough shooting and you have to cross obstacles etc unloading loading again thats where the break barrel comes in handy ..they are great fun do :D:D

ian...

I absolutely concur with not only this post but the previous ones. I love my semi and use it for everything but do find it a bit unwieldy on long days of rough shooting particularly over difficult ground.
    For an all rounder I would go for a o/u.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 wingedit

cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

ianoo wrote: »

ian...
    Never a problem to make safe an auto quickly, eject cartridge into your hand then with the bolt held back place the brass end of the cartridge in front of the bolt and then let the bolt spring hold the cartridge (now sideways) jump over your obstacle gun can be reloaded in seconds off you go..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

With the three round limit over here, I find a double barrel to be as good as any semi, and you get to have too different chokes in. Had a nice mossberg semi for years and traded it for a SxS, so I feel informed enough to give an opinion on the subject. I pretty much only shoot game though, so maybe the clay lads think differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

Never a problem to make safe an auto quickly, eject cartridge into your hand then with the bolt held back place the brass end of the cartridge in front of the bolt and then let the bolt spring hold the cartridge (now sideways) jump over your obstacle gun can be reloaded in seconds off you go..

snap!! cause thats exactly how i do it ! i often had to load quickly when a bird would break and can be done very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Cyvad

I have an old Beretta 302 SA. Never found the single barrel to be any disadvantage shooting clays, even far out birds. I've always found it to be a great all rounder and have even used it to shoot DTL when I had my 682 Gold e in the boot. It's light enough to carry for hours of rough shooting too. Haven't shot in 3 yrs due to an accident but can't wait to get at it again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

wingedit wrote: »
    Hi,
    Am thinking of getting a semi auto shotgun for mostly rough game shooting and a little little trap shooting.

All things considered equal, get a semi.

I like my o/u for trap and skeet.

I like my sxs for upland/shooting birds.

I like my semi for all of the above.
    Hi,
    Cheers,
    Sam.

Semi
    On the pro side, you get three shots as opposed to the other's two.
    Semi has one barrel which can save on weight and makes it easier to swing.
    Con - the are more moving parts so more stuff to possibly go wrong.

O/U
    Two barrels allow you to have different chokes, which may help. In general, I think chokes are over-rated. Most people that fiddle about with chokes and blame the wrong choke for a missed shot are just bad shots. The better you shoot, the less chokes matter.
    With that said, I do use chokes, in the extreme. I use skeet chokes and Turkey chokes, to do exactly what they are meant for: up close and then far away.

SxS
    I love the classic, traditional, gentlemen like quality of a sxs, while walking the fields with a loyal dog. However, it is the most restrictive shotgun of all, in my opinion. Barrels are usually fixed and setup for a particular purpose in mind. One barrel is focused close up and the other, farther out.
    There's just something elegant about a case hardened side by side that is hard to match. Check out some of the Merkel's, or older Fox's and Sauers out there. Simply works of art.

If you are looking for a general merriment shotgun, get yourself a semi. I love mine and it is my all around workhorse. I take it out on a boat, and do not worry about salt water getting in it. I don't mind taking through the bog, through briars, or whatever.

When I take it to the trap and skeet range her battle scars and scratches do not make her look as pretty as the others, but when she breaks clays as well as anyone else, there's not much discussion to have.

Lastly, which semi were you looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

To be honest I'd rather two different chokes over the extra shell anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

If I could only have one gun it would be a good semi. I won more money at flappers with a Benelli semi than I have one with the O/U. It can be a pain for squaded disciplines but English sporting shouldnt be a problem. Check the Clay rules I think they are permitted in all disciplines.

My Father used to say if you need three shots on a pheasant give up shooting and to be fair I have never used it, but the Semi is light fast swinging and soft hitting. As for Choice of choke, put it out of your head, 1/2 choke I think mine must be welded in the gun.

I have an o/u now for clays and a side by side for rough shooting, But my 391 is there for foxes, duck, pigeons, skeet and believe it or not springing teal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Depends what the main use is, if you're using it more for clays you might as well go for the extra choke as the 3rd cartridge in a s/a will be no use to you anyway.

You'll have to pick up your cartridges after using a s/a too which can be a pain, it's ok when you're shooting from a hide but when you're shooting clays and you're picking up 100 or so across a few stands it might get to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cruisedub123

Hi,

I only have experience firing s/s u/o type shotguns.

Cheers,
    Sam.

With a gas operated semi auto there is less felt recoil .
    Only disadvantage is you have to pay more attention to cleaning them after use.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭16 bore

Most people will tell you they shoot clays better with a semi auto, that's because of the longer sighting plain of 28 inch and above barrels and the softer recoil which allows a faster recovery for the second shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I started with an O/U and am now on my second semi. I recently bought a fixed choke second hand O/U to use for driven shooting. I will always prefer the semi-auto though, although they do have some drawback.

Pros:

Extra shell for vermin shooting
    Unmistakable awesomness
    Less recoil
    Easier aiming and faster swing

Cons:

Extra cleaning
    More moving parts
    Extra stooping and bending at clay grounds to collect shells
    Frowned upon at driven shoots

I find the choke thing less of a disadvantage than people suggest. A single aftermarket Briley skeet choke does me for all clay shooting. If you were that fussy about chokes you would have to buy an extra skeet choke for your O/U as most pairs of targets are at the same distance. Then also an extra full choke for your wildfowl and fox hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Sam,
    Have you a particular use in mind? If not, the semi is the best all around choice.

O/U - I like for clay: trap and skeet.
    SxS - best for birds and upland
    Semi - best for waterfowl
    Pump - best for looking cool!
    Bolt - best way to hurt your shoulder

I like the pump, however, you are handicap. Outside of Eire, I use one for deer. However, fast followup shots are not necessary.

I think the semi is the way to go. Sure it has a few more parts, but this isn't 1950's Eire.

I would greatly encourage you to head to someone like Dave Mulvihill in Ballymahon who has a great stock. After shouldering a few, you may just find a preference for or against certain models or types.

The o/u would be next on the list. Then the pump, and lastly the sxs.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

FISMA wrote: »
    Sam,
    Have you a particular use in mind? If not, the semi is the best all around choice.
    I totally disagree,
    O/U - I like for clay: trap and skeet.
    As do most people.
    SxS - best for birds and upland
    ie "walked up game" because generally the lightest and safest as they break when you need to cross an obstacle
    Semi - best for waterfowl
    Best in a hide, yes, does not need to be broken to load when space is at a premium and you've an extra shot. However they are the most difficult to clean, they cant be seen to be safe, some won't fire certain brands of shells, some game and clay shoots don't allow them, you have only one choke in at any time.
    Pump - best for looking cool!
    The second last type I'd buy, a gun you have to pump between shots is never going to be as steady on the second shot as any other type of shotgun.
    Bolt - best way to hurt your shoulder
    The very last type I'd buy, in fact NEVER.
    I like the pump, however, you are handicap. Outside of Eire, I use one for deer. However, fast followup shots are not necessary.

I think the semi is the way to go. Sure it has a few more parts, but this isn't 1950's Eire.

I would greatly encourage you to head to someone like Dave Mulvihill in Ballymahon who has a great stock. After shouldering a few, you may just find a preference for or against certain models or types.

The o/u would be next on the list. Then the pump, and lastly the sxs.

IMO if you have no specific use in mind the best all round gun is a o/u sporter. Why?
    • Its handy for a bit of walked up.
    • It wont offend sticky shoot or clay ground owners
    • You have two chokes.
    • It'll handle any cartridge.
    • Heavy enough to absorb recoil from heavy wildfowl loads.
    • Easy to clean, fewer parts to go wrong..trawl the archives here and you'll find plenty of issues guys have had with semi's.

Lastly this isn't 1950's Eire but it is 2014 Eire and there is an idea floating around with the powers that be which if implemented would see any gun capable of taking more than three rounds illegal which would include most semis, probably come to nothing but what if?

Advertisement