Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player Issues/Troubleshooting - Post Here Only

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

game is unwatchable. this "service" is not fit for purpose and hasn't been in years. it isn't just this match. constant cut outs, loss of quality, stuttering etc ever since it was launched. and don't get me started on playback programs. you will need on average 2o minutes to get something to play. this is not a private company, we actually pay for this. please people keep bumping this thread until something is done and we get an official response from RTE. they must be aware of the problem. or else they just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I've been complaining for years. Unfortunately I'm on the US west coast and they regard that as so far away that the Interwebs couldnt possibly handle such a massive distance.

STuttering low resolution and constant rebuffering.

I started complaining bitterly again over the storms last month when I had to go to BBC Northern Ireland to get a weather report from the South.

RTE is real Old School incompetence. "Ah sure it'll be fine".

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fergaldublin

I only mentioned it because its usually ok. A bit of buffering but ill get over it. I watched last years 6 nations. The world cup and irish soccer games and it was always fine. Have rte found a way to detect yhe use of dns from abroad? I'm hoping it'll work in the morning otherwise itll be bbc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The lipsync seems to be off (sound too fast by between a quarter and half a second it seems). Anyone else noticing this on the RTÉ player, especially the live feeds? I've tried multiple browsers and using a VDSL broadband connection to watch it. It's even happening on the advertisements... Does anyone else have a problem with lipsync when watching shows on RTÉ.ie/live?

As regards my post #63 above from February, i've noticed huge improvements; I can watch the news now without constant rebuffering.

Its been a pleasure. SO thanks to RTE for getting it done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

The Saturday Night Show:

on mobile

Screenshot_2015-06-01-11-20-32RTE.png

on desktop

Capture.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Do you continually get that error message on the desktop?

I've gotten it a few times on the laptop, usually at the ad break, and just have to re load and skip back to where I was and it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Do you continually get that error message on the desktop?

I've gotten it a few times on the laptop, usually at the ad break, and just have to re load and skip back to where I was and it's grand.

get it after first ad, before show starts, refreshing page makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

I can watch RTÉ news and RTÉ 1 but not RTÉ 2. It doesn't have the watch symbol beside the channel at the top.

Anytime I click on RTÉ 2 it says "Next on RTÉ 2 Storytime - 07:00" but doesn't play anything.

Been like this for ages now. I can't watch Cork vs Kerry now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Colinf1212 wrote: »
    I can watch RTÉ news and RTÉ 1 but not RTÉ 2. It doesn't have the watch symbol beside the channel at the top.

Anytime I click on RTÉ 2 it says "Next on RTÉ 2 Storytime - 07:00" but doesn't play anything.

Been like this for ages now. I can't watch Cork vs Kerry now.

I'm having the same problem, it's head wrecking..
    It was grand till a couple of weeks ago,I watched Cork - Waterford in the hurling no bother 3 weeks ago I think,but the weekend after that it was gone

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    As regards my post #63 above from February, i've noticed huge improvements; I can watch the news now without constant rebuffering.

Its been a pleasure. SO thanks to RTE for getting it done!

yup, dramatically improved. no issues with the last few matches and shows i watched.

only took them 6 odd years to get to get it right!

froog wrote: »
    yup, dramatically improved. no issues with the last few matches and shows i watched.

only took them 6 odd years to get to get it right!

True.

They deserve some recognition, but in truth they've only really managed to get it up to about 2010 standards.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

I still havent been able to wtch a live match. Tried again 2 weeks ago. ended up having to watch on a 4" screen on my phone via an android app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

human 19 wrote: »
    I still havent been able to wtch a live match. Tried again 2 weeks ago. ended up having to watch on a 4" screen on my phone via an android app.

Yeah it's frustrating when the other channels seem to work fine..

What android app?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

In all fairness when are RTE going to sort out the continuing issues with its player? It's virtually impossible to watch a show without constant buffering. It's almost laughable that they haven't sorted it out after so many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JPuser

I live in Japan and have tried to access the RTE Player on & off for the past few years.
    Generally the experience is pretty awful but I did find something of a "work-around".
    First, people who think their broadband connection is not good enough may not actually have a problem at all.
    I recently replaced my old (10-20Mbps DL) wireless connection with an optical connection. Speednet tests show that my downlink speed is around 500Mbps (yep, 500Mbps !!) most of the time. So, broadband connection is NOT the problem. There is almost zero improvement in the stop-start nature of the RTE Player going from 10Mbps to 500Mbps. Incidentally Uplink is also 100s of Mbps, not that that should be relevant.
    The stop-start nature of the player appears to be limited to the Web browser/PC version though.
    If I use the RTE Player App on my iPhone, connecting to the same broadband connection I don't have the stop-start problems.
    I can then send what I see on my iPhone to my TV using Apple TV screen mirroring and voila !, it actually works pretty well.
    So, my theory is that the iPhone App has been developed with some good buffering while the PC version appears to have no buffering at all (which is why pausing & waiting to buffer does not work at all).
    For some bizzare reason, the content on the App version is a bit older than the PC version (a couple of days behind).
    IMHO, I think they should just migrate everything to whatever technology is used in the App version & update the content at the same time for all platforms.

Or shure isn't it all just grand as it is, like...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 spawinte

Trying to watch Inside Shannon now and it keeps buffering every minute or so. I can watch Netflix and Youtube no problem in full HD. Same thing on the work connection. It's been like this as long as the service has existed.

Absurdly bad level of service and lets not even mention all the ads that seem to stream just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The player seems to be down at the moment, was trying to watch the match.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Down for me also!!! Radio not working either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Player just crashed for me!! Come on RTE its a WC playoff ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

It's pathetic! Keeps loading ads and then crashes!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

RTE seem to spend the absolute bare minimum to scrape by on bandwidth for major events, so annoying trying to watch online.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Clone

We have tried watching Rte player on multiple devices (except i device) and encounter the same buffering issue repeatedly.

All other streaming sevices work flawlessly in HD. Rte is struggling to stream SD.
    This has been the case for years. There were some iterations of that worked but no longer the case.

Constantly trying to give it the benefit of the doubt. This time gave up watching a program as it wad buffering more than playing.
    I won't waste my time again.

I believe the issue is the bandwidth they have. They probably don't have the hardware infrastructure to meet demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

Trying to use the rte player (on ipad/chromecast/ipad etc..) in rural Galway. It is very frustrating, constant stalling and buffering and very blurry.
    Bizarre as netflix works perfectly fine!

it's pretty amazing this has been so **** for so many years. how hard is it to get a reliable stream in this day and age in all fairness?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭homenotaway

Anyone know how to get to watch Galway v Roscommon on the RTE player?
    Telling me Error 2032. TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭lukin

Anyone know how to get to watch Galway v Roscommon on the RTE player?
    Telling me Error 2032. TIA.

Yeah I am getting this too. I was able to watch everything that was live on the player before.

Actually have it now. Download the app again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭lukin

Actually have it now. Download the app again!

Yeah but it wouldn't play on a website browser for me (Chrome or Firefox).

• Advertisement

lukin wrote: »
    Yeah but it wouldn't play on a website browser for me (Chrome or Firefox).

Playing on Chrome for me as we speak. Dreadful picture, can't even make out the score at times not that it matters much at this point!

Advertisement